Author Topic: Michael Beasley  (Read 2237 times)

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Michael Beasley
« on: October 05, 2009, 01:45:50 PM »
Seeing as how the computer system is down at work and I am now siphoning taxpayer dollars to do nothing I thought I'd bring up the Beasley rehab situation.  Beasley doesn't strike me as an out and out thug but he clearly has a lot of maturing to do.  The talent is still there but he is a long, long way from fully harnessing it.   Although he did go to rehab some of his quotes afterward did not sound like a man who really "got it" in terms of having a problem.   

The Heats organization and fans can't be happy about how this might affect Wade's view of the organization, not to mention the possible waste of his prime years. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

jemagee

Re: Michael Beasley
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »
I never comprehended the idea that professional athletes are unable to have flaws and weaknesses...

He admitted his flaw and went to rehab.

Seeing as how the NBA players association once fought to prevent the including of testing for marijuana in their CBA, i'm going to bet there are a few players out there who won't admit a problem or seek rehab.

And I'm sure the NBA isn't the only league either.

I never really thoughta bout MIchael Beasley one way or another anyway but I like a guy who admits he has a problem and tries to deal with it a lot more than guys who have problems and do little to nothing to deal with it (yeah you Ron Artest, and you Rasheed Wallace)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 02:17:22 PM »
I never comprehended the idea that professional athletes are unable to have flaws and weaknesses...

He admitted his flaw and went to rehab.

Seeing as how the NBA players association once fought to prevent the including of testing for marijuana in their CBA, i'm going to bet there are a few players out there who won't admit a problem or seek rehab.

And I'm sure the NBA isn't the only league either.

I never really thoughta bout MIchael Beasley one way or another anyway but I like a guy who admits he has a problem and tries to deal with it a lot more than guys who have problems and do little to nothing to deal with it (yeah you Ron Artest, and you Rasheed Wallace)

Admitting your flaw and going to rehab doesn't get him off the hook.  It's not going to rehab that does the trick.  It is knowing, admitting, and actually learning from that help you get. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 02:19:51 PM »
Oh I understand he's not off the hook - but the first step is admitting you have a problem - and Beasley at least admitted he had a problem (though I wonder how much of that admission was spin control because there was an incriminating photo - but maybe I'm just a cynic)

Guys like Artest and Wallace, I've watched em for years, I think they have problems just based on my own experience with ADHD, & impulse control issues - but they've never come out and said 'yeah i have a problem and I'm seeking help'

I'm not saying Beasley is off the hook - but admitting it puts him ahead of all the guys out there who don't admit it.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 02:25:19 PM »
Understood jem.  I don't expect him or anyone else in sports to be flawless and I understand he is still quite young.   What concerned me most in this situation is some things he said afterward.  I don't have the exact quotes but they were along the lines of "I don't really have a problem" and some things that seemed to indicate he wasn't taking responsiblity for the weed in the picture that started the whole process. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »
Understood jem.  I don't expect him or anyone else in sports to be flawless and I understand he is still quite young.   What concerned me most in this situation is some things he said afterward.  I don't have the exact quotes but they were along the lines of "I don't really have a problem" and some things that seemed to indicate he wasn't taking responsiblity for the weed in the picture that started the whole process. 

Well like I said, I haven't followed it too closely...and I"m one of those people who doesn't think weed should even be illegal (and probably wouldn't be were it not for the tobacco and cotton industries crushing it under the yoke of their power and fear of competition)...which leads me to believe even more that this was a PR stunt which means Beasley didn't really want to go to rehab but was 'told' to by spin doctors or the nba or the heat - which again puts a different spin on the whole thing in general.

If he thinks he had a problem and went to rehab for it - good for him - if he was using it to save his image - meh - athletes do crap to save their image all the time...we live in a society where image matters a lot more than most other things

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Whether marijuana is legal or not, it's prohibited by his contract.  He either gets that fact, or he doesn't.

If it had been him violating a "riding a snowboard" clause and getting hurt because of it, we'd be coming down hard on his stupidity - and there's nothing illegal about it at all!  I don't see why violating the drug policy gets the easier road when it's a more serious violation!

You want to cut the drugs out of the league?  I've got the simple solution.  Offer the team an "opt-out" clause - at any time throughout the contract - on the contract for violations of the drug policy.  No more Darius Miles cases.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 03:15:38 PM »
.  Offer the team an "opt-out" clause - at any time throughout the contract - on the contract for violations of the drug policy.  No more Darius Miles cases.

Except that this is the NBA where talent matters more than whether or not he's a 'stand up' fellow - so if one team opts out another team is just going to pick the guy up cause he's sitll got talent on the floor...and as long as your team wins, fans care less.

I'm confused how darius miles knee injury is involved here.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
I'm referring to the drug bust - not the knee injury.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »
Understood jem.  I don't expect him or anyone else in sports to be flawless and I understand he is still quite young.   What concerned me most in this situation is some things he said afterward.  I don't have the exact quotes but they were along the lines of "I don't really have a problem" and some things that seemed to indicate he wasn't taking responsiblity for the weed in the picture that started the whole process. 

Well like I said, I haven't followed it too closely...and I"m one of those people who doesn't think weed should even be illegal (and probably wouldn't be were it not for the tobacco and cotton industries crushing it under the yoke of their power and fear of competition)...which leads me to believe even more that this was a PR stunt which means Beasley didn't really want to go to rehab but was 'told' to by spin doctors or the nba or the heat - which again puts a different spin on the whole thing in general.

If he thinks he had a problem and went to rehab for it - good for him - if he was using it to save his image - meh - athletes do crap to save their image all the time...we live in a society where image matters a lot more than most other things

I am thinking you are right, as far as him being sent because it was a PR move.

Also, I am 100% for the legal consumption and taxation of marijuana.  I think it should be handled like alcohol.  Is it lame to have to go to rehab for a bag of weed?  Yes.  I really think it is in my honest opinion.  I wouldn't want to see someone go to jail for being busted with a 6 pack just the same.   However, rules are rules.  The league has a policy against this.  Much like they do drinking and driving.  Got to play by the rules to get the check.

Darius Miles was brought up because he was popped for marijuana MANY times in his career.  I think like 2-3 times in LA.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 04:00:46 PM »
Only thing I really remember about Darius Miles is that he was in Van Wilder I think (and a couple other bad movies that needed high school / college basketball player type characters who could play)