Author Topic: Anybody else here have a tomato garden?  (Read 7734 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Re: Anybody else here have a tomato garden?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »
Tomato seeds

http://store.tomatofest.com/Heirloom_Tomato_Seeds_s/1.htm

http://www.tomatobob.com/Heirloom-Tomato-Seed-Varieties.htm

http://www.heirloomtomatoes.com/main/index.html

Take a look at these, and if you see something you might like ask and I will let you know if I have ever tried that variety.  I don't plant many hybrid types, I prefer heirloom types.  Many of hybrids are bred for asthetics, or some special growing circumstances.  Don't get me wrong, some hybrids are real good.  Dan mentioned Burpees, and I have raised them, and they are very good.  Early Girls are a highly productive hybrid, I planted some few years ago, and I had so many I gave away more than 1/2 of them.  They had good flavor.

Heirlooms though are better in my opinion.  Generally they have better flavor, though some are older varieties that were naturally bred for some regional advantage (*short growing season, or dry climate etc).  I prefer purple/black, small cherries, beefsteak, and medium sized reds and oranges that are indeterminate vines.

Thanks Zig, I can already tell these Tomatofest seeds are gonna be great producers! They germinated quickly (5-6 days) and are looking really strong
Dan

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
Glad it is working well Dan.  I planted seeds about a week ago, usually takes 10-14 days to germinate around here.  I think it gets to cold at night.  I have a heating pad, and a mini-greenhouse.

This year I did 4 cherry's
Matt's Wild Cherry  (red)
Black Cherry  (purple)
Cerise Orange  (orange)
Blondkopfchen (yellow cherry)

And then a variety of Beefsteak, Medium, Purple's, Brandywines, and Short Seasons

Ponderosa  (Red Beefsteak)
Homestead (Red Beefsteak)
Hillbilly  (Red Beefsteak)
Pineapple  (Yellow Beefsteak)
Big Raindow  (Orange Beefsteak)

Pink Brandywine 

Abe Lincoln  (Medium Red)
Polar Beauty  (Medium Short Season)
Cherokee Purple  (Medium Purple)
Purple Passion  (Medium Purple)
Chocolate Stripe  (Medium Purple)
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 05:57:26 PM »
I did a few of my normal hybrids for early production (early girls and the like) but I specifically bought some red and yellow Brandywines, orange and red Amish Pastes, Carmellos, Aunt Gerdies Gold, Abraham Lincolns, Cherokee Purples and they threw in some Big Italian Plums.

I have good germination and expect a good yield because they don't look like they're going to be leggy at all.

Did you decide you were going to do some Tomatillo's this year? I am doing about 6 plants, plus I have decided to go somewhat crazy with peppers, I am doing Ancho's; red, green and yellow Bells, Habanero's, Anaheim s, Cayenne's, Poblamo's, and of course Jalepeno's.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »
I wish I had two tomatoes so I could throw one in each or your faces for continuing this discussion...err...I like fresh tomotoes as well...good to see you around Laker Fan.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 11:21:43 PM »
I did a few of my normal hybrids for early production (early girls and the like) but I specifically bought some red and yellow Brandywines, orange and red Amish Pastes, Carmellos, Aunt Gerdies Gold, Abraham Lincolns, Cherokee Purples and they threw in some Big Italian Plums.

I have good germination and expect a good yield because they don't look like they're going to be leggy at all.

Did you decide you were going to do some Tomatillo's this year? I am doing about 6 plants, plus I have decided to go somewhat crazy with peppers, I am doing Ancho's; red, green and yellow Bells, Habanero's, Anaheim s, Cayenne's, Poblamo's, and of course Jalepeno's.

I am going to do a Tomatillo from a plant rather than seed, so that will be a couple of months away.  I tried one a couple of years ago didn't work to well, so I am going to try something a little different.

I did 5 peppers, Jalapeno, Serrano, Habenero, New Mexico, and a rainbow color Grand Bell Pepper.  I really like Serrano, that give my salsa a good kick, but it doesn't overwhelm or last to long.

WOW if we actually talked about something here I would, but we don't, so this is the next best thing.  Throw away if you must, maybe I can catch it and enjoy it.  I took the kids to Disneyland last May, and we got some Pico de Gallo with "fresh" tomato's.  I was almost ready to move to LA permanently.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 11:32:32 PM »
I took the kids to Disneyland last May, and we got some Pico de Gallo with "fresh" tomato's.  I was almost ready to move to LA permanently.

Good lord, if you like the stuff at Disneyland you will go ga-ga at some authentic places in L.A. and you will never leave....never leave cause you might get "cap'd" and end up on the sidewalk in Eaze Lowz......
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 12:14:27 AM »
Thanks WOW
Dan

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 12:42:34 AM »
I took the kids to Disneyland last May, and we got some Pico de Gallo with "fresh" tomato's.  I was almost ready to move to LA permanently.

Good lord, if you like the stuff at Disneyland you will go ga-ga at some authentic places in L.A. and you will never leave....never leave cause you might get "cap'd" and end up on the sidewalk in Eaze Lowz......

So if I said it was positively orgasmic, my chances of making it out alive would not be very high?

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 09:26:55 AM »

I am going to do a Tomatillo from a plant rather than seed, so that will be a couple of months away.  I tried one a couple of years ago didn't work to well, so I am going to try something a little different.

I did 5 peppers, Jalapeno, Serrano, Habenero, New Mexico, and a rainbow color Grand Bell Pepper.  I really like Serrano, that give my salsa a good kick, but it doesn't overwhelm or last to long.

Sounds like you are ready to make some tomatillo salsa verde for some tacos!

WOW is right, if you liked Disney Land's batch, man there is so many better places.  Luckily you didn't stop anywhere in LA or even in a few spots in Anaheim or else you would be a Lakers fan right now lol
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »

So if I said it was positively orgasmic, my chances of making it out alive would not be very high?

A buddy of mine who was born south of the border sent this to me.  I thought it was funny, I have to believe Wow and Wk will as well.

Mexican Words Of The Day
1. *Cheese*
The teacher told Pepito to use the word cheese in a sentence.
Pepito replies: Rosita likes me, but cheese ugly.

2. *Mushroom*
When all my family get in the car
There's not mushroom.

3. *Shoulder*
My fren wants 2 become a citizen,
But che didn't know how to read,
So I, shoulder.

4. * Texas *
When I'm not home,
My fren always Texas me,
Che wonders where I am!

5. *Herpes*
Me and my fren ordered pizza.
I got mine piece
Then che got herpes.

6. *July*
Ju told me ju were going to tha store
But ju went to see sum guy,
July to me! Julyer!

7. *Rectum*
I had 2 cars
But my wife rectum!

8. *Chicken*
I was going to go to the store with my wife
But che said chicken go herself.

9. *Wheelchair*
We only have one enchilada left
But don't worry wheelchair

10.. *Chicken* *wing*
My wife plays the lottery so chicken wing.

11. *Harassment*
My wife caught me in bed with another women..
I told her, "Honey, harassment nothen to me.

12. *Bishop*
My wife fell down the stair
So I had to pick the bishop..

13. *Body wash*
I want to go to the club
But no body wash my kids.

14. *Budweiser*
That women has a nice body,
Budweiser face so ugly?

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »
12. *Bishop*
My wife fell down the stair
So I had to pick the bishop..

;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 01:32:36 AM »
LOL Zig pretty funny.  I forwarded to a few of my relatives who enjoyed it as well.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
Mexican Words Of The Day
1. *Cheese*
The teacher told Pepito to use the word cheese in a sentence.
Pepito replies: Rosita likes me, but cheese ugly.
3 dogs were sitting on the grass in the park, just sniffing each others butts and rolling in the grass.
#1 was a lab named Joe
#2 was a Korgi named westsause
#3 was a chijuaja wearing a jersey that said "I wuv Kobe".  This dogs name was W.O.W.

A super attractive (to them) French poodle then strolled by.  They took a break from butt sniffing and were knocking themselves over getting a view of this Frenchie poodle.  She knew she had their raft attention so decided to give them a chance.  "To the one who has the most intelligent use in a sentence of the words 'liver' and 'cheese' i will grant a date to."

All three went into hyperactive enthusiasm but the lab went 1st.
"I like liver and cheese!" he blurted then tounge slobberingly waited for her answer.
"No" she said.  "I'm sorry Joe but that is *NOT* creative."

Westsause then saw his chance.
"I like to eat liver and cheese" he said, hoping she would approve of his attempted wit.
"Sorry" she said.  "That's not much different then Joes."

Now they turned to the chijuaja with the "I wuv Kobe" jersey on.  He squinted his eyes, looked at the Frenchie poodle then looked at Joe and Westsause and said:

"Liver alone.  Cheese mine."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:17:30 AM by Reality »