Author Topic: OT-Fantasy NFL  (Read 2523 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT-Fantasy NFL
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:25:08 AM »
I got peer pressured into joining a league.  They have a salary cap, that's something new for me, and a few other rules.  The existing teams have a keeper, I do not.  The draft order is not important since durring the draft you nominate a player and everyone gets to "open" bid on the nominated player.

Any tips or good reference sites to learn about FNFL?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT-Fantasy NFL
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:08:53 PM »
Sounds like you've got an auction league on your hands, Miguel.  Those are an awful lot of fun, if done properly.

The best advice I can give you is this: don't go overboard on any players early.  If Peterson or Turner are thrown out there (nominated), don't spend $75 of your $300 on one player.  Wait, and you'll definitely find good value later in the draft.

Which brings me to point number two: have some excellent - or really good players - in mind for later in the auction.  If nobody nominates Slaton early on, don't throw his name into the hat.  Wait several rounds (once everyone nominates someone, that's considered a 'round'), and then put his name out there.  You'll find many people have already spent a good chunk of change.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »
Sounds like you've got an auction league on your hands, Miguel.  Those are an awful lot of fun, if done properly.

The best advice I can give you is this: don't go overboard on any players early.  If Peterson or Turner are thrown out there (nominated), don't spend $75 of your $300 on one player.  Wait, and you'll definitely find good value later in the draft.

Which brings me to point number two: have some excellent - or really good players - in mind for later in the auction.  If nobody nominates Slaton early on, don't throw his name into the hat.  Wait several rounds (once everyone nominates someone, that's considered a 'round'), and then put his name out there.  You'll find many people have already spent a good chunk of change.

It's my first time in one of these "auctions".  The cap is 100 bucks and I've been told the most anyone has ever payed for a player was 50 for LT.  That was my initial thought about waiting until the big spenders blow their was in the first 2 or 3 rounds.  I hardly know any NFL players outside of the teams I follow, Chargers and Bronco's, or the big name QB's. 

I hope I don't do too bad, I will never hear the end of it at work.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 01:19:02 AM »
I have a big decision to make tomorrow, here is the scenario:

I paid $160 in real money to join this league.
I inherited a team with Drew Brees on the roster.
It will cost an extra $50 in real money to exercise my keeper option since I am a new owner (after my first year a keeper is free).
The team cap is $100 in fantasy money.
Drew Brees would cost $16 in fantasy cap space.

Here is the QB's scoring criteria:
1 point per 25 yards (and fraction thereof)
6 per touchdown
Touchdown yardage bonus
25-50: 1 pt
50-75: 2pt
75+: 3pt
Interception/Fumble: -2 point

A couple of the guys in my league are saying Drew Brees will go for 25 to 30 in cap space.
So is Drew Brees worth a ding to my real wallet if I get to keep him for 16 in cap space? No new owner has ever paid the extra $50 for a keeper when joining the league since the rule was put into effect 4 years ago and there have been 6 new owners since the new rule.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 01:58:36 AM »
Miguel, if it's me, I pay the extra cash.  I don't think Brees is the top fantasy QB out there (I think it's Brady this year), but he's very, VERY close.  And in that system you just described, he'll more than make up the fifty bucks.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 02:48:05 AM »
Miguel, if it's me, I pay the extra cash.  I don't think Brees is the top fantasy QB out there (I think it's Brady this year), but he's very, VERY close.  And in that system you just described, he'll more than make up the fifty bucks.

I have a sweaty 50 dollar bill in my pocket, I was planning on using it but I was very unsure if I was making the right decision.  Thanks for the reponse, I feel a lot better about paying the extra cash.  There is going to be a poker game afterwards, I hope to not only make back my 50 but possibly the entire 160 entry fee.  ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »
So what does the team look like Miguel? 

And through two weeks are you happy you kept Drew Brees or what!!  The guy has been disgusting!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:47:22 PM »
So what does the team look like Miguel? 

And through two weeks are you happy you kept Drew Brees or what!!  The guy has been disgusting!

Brees has been carrying my team.  I totally messed up my draft, I was used to our B-Ball league where you have one starter at every position and one "floater/flex" starter from any position.  In my football league you start TWO RB's and TWO WR's and you can ONLY "float/flex" RB's, WR's, and TE's.  We also start 1 QB/Kicker/Team Defense.  Since I forgot about starting 2 RB's and WR's I drafted 2 players for each position.  I was wondering why other teams drafted so many RB's and WR's.  That being said I am 2-0.  Here is my roster (I originally drafted Tony Romo but I traded him for Lendale White/Antonio Bryant/Santionio Holmes before WK1)(I drafted Anthony Fasano then dropped  him after WK1 and picked up Micheal Bush):

QB Drew Brees
RB Darren McFadden
RB Pierre Thomas
RB Lendale White
RB Michael Bush
WR Roddy White
WR Bernard Berrian
WR Santonio Holmes
WR Devin Hester
TE Antonio Gates
PK Nate Kaeding
PK Jason Elam
D Giants
D Packers

I just dropped Antonio Bryant and I added:
WR Mike Sims-Walker
QB Jake Delhomme
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:56:36 AM »
I'm 3-0 now but I'm heading into rough waters, I will begin playing the tougher teams in the league for the next 7 weeks.

I need to upgrade my roster but it's really tough since this is such a deep and experienced league, plus I don't have much cap space.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"