Author Topic: Looks like Rambis will be the Wolves new coach.  (Read 3496 times)

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Looks like Rambis will be the Wolves new coach.
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:11:56 PM »
All signs are pointing towards Kurt Rambis becoming the Wolves new coach.   Mark Jackson has been the other name mentioned most frequently with Elston Turner a distant third. 

I'd be fine with Rambis.  At this point I'm happy to give him a shot.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looks like Rambis will be the Wolves new coach.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »
All signs are pointing towards Kurt Rambis becoming the Wolves new coach.   Mark Jackson has been the other name mentioned most frequently with Elston Turner a distant third. 

Yea I was going to say he is up there right now to talk with them.  The Lakers and Phil Jackson will not hold him back from moving to the next level in his coaching career so I don't expect to be any tugging on him from this side.

I wonder what type of offensive system he will implement up there if he does end up becoming the coach.  He has been apart of two types of successful offensive systems.  The Phil/Tex Winters approach and  the Pat Riley/Showtime approach.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »

Yea I was going to say he is up there right now to talk with them.  The Lakers and Phil Jackson will not hold him back from moving to the next level in his coaching career so I don't expect to be any tugging on him from this side.

I wonder what type of offensive system he will implement up there if he does end up becoming the coach.  He has been apart of two types of successful offensive systems.  The Phil/Tex Winters approach and  the Pat Riley/Showtime approach.

What are the Lakers going to do?  I read that Rambo was the defensive focus of the coaching staff.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »

What are the Lakers going to do?  I read that Rambo was the defensive focus of the coaching staff.

Yea I heard the same thing so I really do not know.  I wouldn't say that the Lakers defensive was superb under Rambis but if it slips anymore from where it is at they are going to have issues in the playoffs like they did 2 years ago.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
This will be a big loss for the Lakers and a big gain for Minnesota.  I have mixed feelings as I hate to see Kurt leave, but at the same time I'm happy for him and hope he's able to get a nice contract and have some success.  He deserves a shot as a head coach and I'm glad he's getting one.  He will have his work cut out for him in Minny, but he is a straight shooter, an extremely hard worker and a bright guy.  I just wish the Lakers could have kept him around for a few more years to ultimately replace Phil when he retires. 

It's kind of funny that he'd be replacing the guy who gave him the infamous clothesline.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:53:55 AM »
msc i know you're not mainlining Midols like your two sisters do on every Laker move, imaginary or not (see Odom), but two things:

1.  He's not a Wolf yet.

2.  Could there be a contract provisio that should Phil J retire, Wolves must let Rambis return to Lakerhood?

I'm just askin.  I know college coaches get these provisios all the time. 
Board, has the NBA had a team and coach come to such agreements in the past?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »
Its official!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:17:51 AM »
msc i know you're not mainlining Midols like your two sisters do on every Laker move, imaginary or not (see Odom), but two things:

1.  He's not a Wolf yet.

2.  Could there be a contract provisio that should Phil J retire, Wolves must let Rambis return to Lakerhood?

I'm just askin.  I know college coaches get these provisios all the time. 
Board, has the NBA had a team and coach come to such agreements in the past?

1.  Would you hire Mark Jackson over Rambis?  Me neither. 

2.  I heard some rumblings about that but I can't imagine why any team would want to hire a coach who's still keeping an eye on their former team.   Doesn't make sense to me, but who knows?  I doubt there would be a caveat in his contract, but I'm sure he'd bolt if given the right opportunity.  Most coaches would. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »
I have no idea why Mark Jackson would even be considered, let alone be the "#2" choice.

Contract provisions.  Apparantly the board does not know -yet.  Lets see when zig logs in. 
I'm thinking Larry Brown had written in bolt rights to either Detroit and/or New York. 

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 10:02:11 AM »
Actually, I believe Larry Brown's "bolt rights" were specific to the University of North Carolina.

George Karl at one time had "bolt rights" to UNC, to Europe, or if he won an NBA championship.  Can't remember if that's his Denver deal, or if that was the Milwaukee deal *AFTER* they denied him the opportunity to interview at UNC.  (After that incident, Karl wore a UNC hat to a golf tournament instead of anything saying Milwaukee Bucks.)

Here's what I don't get:  why does Rambis take the Timberwolves job?  He's got a no-show rookie draft pick in Rubio, another rookie point guard in Flynn, a top player coming back from major injury in Jefferson, and very little about that team to warm up the cold Minnesota nights.  He has a good record as a head coach based on his year with the Lakers, and figures to be the favorite for the Laker job when Phil Jackson steps down.

So he goes to Minnesota - losing touch with the Laker organization - and trashes his record coaching an uber-young team that pretty much drafted every point guard available in the draft and traded away the ones they had plus several of the kids.  So you're looking at no backcourt, since Foye and McCants are gone, no true center, and major question marks.  If he performs some miracle with this team - like having as many wins as the Lakers average per month - it's still going to trash his coaching record.  Young coaches cannot afford to rack up tons of losses if they want to remain employed.

I'd have told Minnesota, "Thanks, but no thanks."

(Sorry, jn.)
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 02:40:21 PM »
Here's what I don't get:  why does Rambis take the Timberwolves job? 

I'd have told Minnesota, "Thanks, but no thanks."

(Sorry, jn.)
To get #1 pick Rubio traded to the Lakers?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 04:05:26 PM »
Bill Laimbeer and Reggie Theus to be asst coaches.

Seems like the Wolves are making a legit attempt to rebuild?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 12:56:04 PM »
Rubio declares for draft then bails on the Wolves.  ::)
In a way i say cut the 18 year old some slack.  OTOH, why declare for the draft and then get locked up to some Euro team until 2012?
Wolves got burned.

Q.  If the Wolves would have traded Rubio for XX, and if Rubio would have bailed on the team they traded him to, would the Wolves have been able to keep XX?

I'm assuming the team they traded Rubio to would have made it contigent on Rubio signing.  Can they do that?

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
I would be surprised if they could trade someone PRIOR to signing a contract.  With the salary scale in place getting traded wouldn't have solved the financial problems of the buyout.  Rubio would have had to sign with the Wolves, get traded and assume the team he is traded to would be able to talk his current team into an acceptable bailout.   

Well, it's all about Jonny Flynn now.

Also, I'm willing to drink some kool aid on Rambis and Laimbeer for now but Theus does nothing for me.   The only time he has been a winner was at New Mexico State and he did that buy turning it into an outlaw program. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 02:17:53 PM »
^^ draft picks get traded all the time.  But yes you make a good point, do draft pics have to sign before being traded?
dabods, ziggy?