Author Topic: Rudy Fernandez being a cry baby? Upset over Hedo courting  (Read 2875 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Rudy Fernandez being a cry baby? Upset over Hedo courting
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:02:34 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4300407

Portland's pursuit of a certain player from Turkey has infuriated the Trail Blazers' lone remaining Spanish player, Rudy Fernandez, to the point where he'd prefer to play in Greece, Russia or even Spain again, ESPN.com learned Tuesday.

Fernandez
A league source told ESPN.com that Fernandez has already been courted informally by European powerhouses Olympiacos, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and CSKA Moscow as word spread that the Blazers had become the apparent front-runners to land free agent Hedo Turkoglu.

Fernandez, who paid more than $500,000 of his own money to buy his way out of his contract with DKV Joventut, believes he can earn 5 million euros per season if he signs a three-year contract in Europe. He is due to make $1.1 million from the Blazers next season.

The problem for Fernandez from a leverage standpoint is that he is entering the second year of his NBA rookie contract, and the Blazers have the option to re-sign him for a third and/or fourth season. Fernandez would have to be released from his NBA contract in order to receive a letter of clearance from FIBA, the sport's international governing body, to play elsewhere.

The Blazers have been made aware of Fernandez's feelings, the source said. The source added that Fernandez has not formally requested a trade but has expressed his dissatisfaction with the way he was used by Portland coach Nate McMillan over the course of his rookie season. Fernandez averaged 26 minutes off the bench and scored 10.2 points per game, rarely handling the ball or acting as an offensive initiator -- two of Turkoglu's specialties.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rudy Fernandez being a cry baby? Upset over Hedo courting
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 05:29:45 PM »
Fernandez wants to play and be a star, and figures Turk would take his PT.  If he can't start or at least be a sixth man off the bench, it's probably better for his career and pocket book to go to Europe.  Portland might be willing to release him if they can work out an arrangement with him further down the road.  It will help them save a little money.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »
It is important and relevant as well to point out that this is a report from "league sources" which does not include any actual quotes from Rudy.

Here is an article that came out right after that article. 

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/rudy_upset_thats_news_to_the_b.html

Also note this as well

Casey Holdahl has been in Spain catching up with the "infuriated" Rudy the past few days and providing must-read (infuriating) coverage.

http://trailblazerscentercourt.blogspot.com/

Including:

Rudy is quick to point out how satisfied he is with Portland, especially when it comes to the support of the fans in the Rose City and beyond. 

Again, I stress the above is a report from unnamed league sources which does not include any actual quotes from Rudy. So take it for what you will.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 08:10:17 PM »
It is important and relevant as well to point out that this is a report from "league sources" which does not include any actual quotes from Rudy.

Here is an article that came out right after that article. 

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/rudy_upset_thats_news_to_the_b.html

Also note this as well

Casey Holdahl has been in Spain catching up with the "infuriated" Rudy the past few days and providing must-read (infuriating) coverage.

http://trailblazerscentercourt.blogspot.com/

Including:

Rudy is quick to point out how satisfied he is with Portland, especially when it comes to the support of the fans in the Rose City and beyond. 

Again, I stress the above is a report from unnamed league sources which does not include any actual quotes from Rudy. So take it for what you will.

I read the article a few days ago when I was reading up on Rubio and noticed there were no actual quotes as well.  The league source is probably the same guy who claimed the Spurs were going after Odom.  :D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 12:37:18 AM »
Yea I know Ziggy, just relaying the news to discuss.

These 'league sources' and 'insiders' tend to cause problems all the time.  LA has had their fair share.

I heard Rubio didn't make the comments but his pop actually did.  Think they talked about it on Jim Rome last week the day after the draft.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 03:43:37 PM »
zig does Portlands signing Turkey now mean Finley for Fernandez is a go?  ;)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 05:01:06 PM »
I just saw on ESPN News that Hedo has come to terms with the Trailblazers.  I don't understand why Portland was so hot for Hedo, IMO he's over rated and the Blazers already have a closer in Roy.  Is Oden comming along enough to demand a double team?  Aldridge seems more of a perimeter player, like David West, so why Hedo?  Oden needs a Hedo type but I don't think Oden is at the point where he's going to demand a double team and get open shots for guys like Hedo.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »
we'll take the cry baby

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »
we'll take the cry baby

Is Philly even going to bother to send the Sixers to the 2009-2010 NBA season?  What's the point?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »
I just saw on ESPN News that Hedo has come to terms with the Trailblazers.  I don't understand why Portland was so hot for Hedo, IMO he's over rated and the Blazers already have a closer in Roy.  Is Oden comming along enough to demand a double team?  Aldridge seems more of a perimeter player, like David West, so why Hedo?  Oden needs a Hedo type but I don't think Oden is at the point where he's going to demand a double team and get open shots for guys like Hedo.

Because Houston exposed Portland as having only one creator in crunch time: Roy.  Hedo gives them a second.

Aldridge has a nice inside game and a solid jumper at 10-12 feet.  Aldrige/Oden should play like DRob/Duncan did...one an offensive focus; the other the defensive anchor.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 06:36:54 PM »

Because Houston exposed Portland as having only one creator in crunch time: Roy.  Hedo gives them a second.

Aldridge has a nice inside game and a solid jumper at 10-12 feet.  Aldrige/Oden should play like DRob/Duncan did...one an offensive focus; the other the defensive anchor.

So does that mean Hedo is going to play PG?  IMO that is the biggest weakness of the Blazers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 06:37:43 PM »
we'll take the cry baby

Is Philly even going to bother to send the Sixers to the 2009-2010 NBA season?  What's the point?

We'll get our 41 wins and first round exit.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »
I believe this explains part of their fascination.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-166/The-Michael-Jordan-of-Turkey--in-Free-Agency.html  the most relevant parts are below.

King of the Pick and Roll
"Hedo Turkoglu is the best pick and roll small forward in the league, after LeBron James," says Thorpe. "So the conversation starts there. His ability to handle, penetrate, shoot, change speeds, be crafty and unpredictable -- all with excellent size and length -- that's a killer combination."

Thorpe cautions, however, that he does not believe Turkoglu would thrive in any system. "He's a little bit like Lamar Odom. The game comes so easy to him, and he's so talented, that sometimes he loses focus. Stan Van Gundy handled that really well. He was very smart. He ran a ton of side pick and rolls for Turkoglu, which forced him to lock in. People criticized Van Gundy for that, saying he should have gotten the ball to Dwight Howard more ... but a lot of those side pick and rolls ended in dunks for Dwight Howard. If you just stuck him on a team as complimentary player, and expect him to hit some open shots, then I don't think he would be nearly as productive. But when you keep Turkoglu engaged, he's a very special small forward.

"Turkoglu may have been the third or fourth best player on the Magic this season. But he played better than that, because of how the team forced him to be playmaker, which is what he does best. Now, his sense of urgency still wavered some. But in the playoffs, his focus was just about always there, and that's a huge part of the reason the Magic made it so far."

As a defender, Thorpe says Turkoglu is underrated. "He has length and feel. He's a coordinated athlete. He's also really tall and long. I don't think of him as winning the battle on grit, but it's not like there are a lot of times you watch a Magic game and think Turkoglu's getting killed! When he's engaged, I'd certainly say he's a net positive for your defense.

Future Blazer?
Where might Turkoglu end up? Now that Vince Carter and his big contract are in Orlando, it would be very tough for the Magic to bring him back. Sources indicate that Portland -- a team that cleared a little extra cap room on draft day -- is leading the hunt, while another suitor could include the Raptors.

Thorpe says that if the Portland rumors are true, Nate McMillan should already be watching the Magic and planning to add a side pick-and-roll to the playbook with Turkoglu and Greg Oden.

"Dwight Howard was amazing at diving to the hoop on the play, running straight down the lane to make himself a threat to catch the ball at the hoop. Greg Oden will have to do that, and then if I were LaMarcus Aldridge, I'd spend the summer mastering the NBA 3, like Rashard Lewis -- because when the small forward and the center are running this play , the help usually comes from the power forward who can be wide open in the corner.

We have struggled in developing a good pick and roll offense, and have been overly dependent on jump shooting.  We have to develop offense in the post, and according to Thorpe this is where Hedo and Oden will work well together.

Clearly this is only the first step.  Portland has 4 SF now, so realistically 1 MUST go, and maybe 2 need to go.  In my opinion Outlaw is gone.  I wouldn't be averse to trading Outlaw and Fernandez for Devin Harris.
I wouldn't be averse to trading Outlaw for Hinrich.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »
I believe this explains part of their fascination.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-41-166/The-Michael-Jordan-of-Turkey--in-Free-Agency.html  the most relevant parts are below.

King of the Pick and Roll
"Hedo Turkoglu is the best pick and roll small forward in the league, after LeBron James," says Thorpe. "So the conversation starts there. His ability to handle, penetrate, shoot, change speeds, be crafty and unpredictable -- all with excellent size and length -- that's a killer combination."

Thorpe cautions, however, that he does not believe Turkoglu would thrive in any system. "He's a little bit like Lamar Odom. The game comes so easy to him, and he's so talented, that sometimes he loses focus. Stan Van Gundy handled that really well. He was very smart. He ran a ton of side pick and rolls for Turkoglu, which forced him to lock in. People criticized Van Gundy for that, saying he should have gotten the ball to Dwight Howard more ... but a lot of those side pick and rolls ended in dunks for Dwight Howard. If you just stuck him on a team as complimentary player, and expect him to hit some open shots, then I don't think he would be nearly as productive. But when you keep Turkoglu engaged, he's a very special small forward.

"Turkoglu may have been the third or fourth best player on the Magic this season. But he played better than that, because of how the team forced him to be playmaker, which is what he does best. Now, his sense of urgency still wavered some. But in the playoffs, his focus was just about always there, and that's a huge part of the reason the Magic made it so far."

As a defender, Thorpe says Turkoglu is underrated. "He has length and feel. He's a coordinated athlete. He's also really tall and long. I don't think of him as winning the battle on grit, but it's not like there are a lot of times you watch a Magic game and think Turkoglu's getting killed! When he's engaged, I'd certainly say he's a net positive for your defense.

Future Blazer?
Where might Turkoglu end up? Now that Vince Carter and his big contract are in Orlando, it would be very tough for the Magic to bring him back. Sources indicate that Portland -- a team that cleared a little extra cap room on draft day -- is leading the hunt, while another suitor could include the Raptors.

Thorpe says that if the Portland rumors are true, Nate McMillan should already be watching the Magic and planning to add a side pick-and-roll to the playbook with Turkoglu and Greg Oden.

"Dwight Howard was amazing at diving to the hoop on the play, running straight down the lane to make himself a threat to catch the ball at the hoop. Greg Oden will have to do that, and then if I were LaMarcus Aldridge, I'd spend the summer mastering the NBA 3, like Rashard Lewis -- because when the small forward and the center are running this play , the help usually comes from the power forward who can be wide open in the corner.

I read that same article a few days ago and THAT is part of the reason I started scratching my head.  IMO Hedo is not that good, from what I saw in thes years playoffs he is very inconsistent.  I think the guy is very savy and age won't impact him as much as other guys who play his position but I don't know if Hedo is the guy to get  you over the top.  Then again, Hedo was probably more responsible for the Magic run this year than Rashard.  When Howard was ineffective it seemed like Hedo would play very well for stints so I guess that's what is being sold by Hedo and his agent.

We have struggled in developing a good pick and roll offense, and have been overly dependent on jump shooting.  We have to develop offense in the post, and according to Thorpe this is where Hedo and Oden will work well together.

Clearly this is only the first step.  Portland has 4 SF now, so realistically 1 MUST go, and maybe 2 need to go.  In my opinion Outlaw is gone.  I wouldn't be averse to trading Outlaw and Fernandez for Devin Harris.
I wouldn't be averse to trading Outlaw for Hinrich.

Portland with Hinrich would be solid, but Portland with Harris would be scary.  Hinrich is a perfect fit for the Triangle offense IMO, I wish there was a way for the Lakers to shore up the PG spot.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"