Author Topic: Turmoil in LaLa Land. Ariza probably gone but LA in the lead for Ron Artest.  (Read 6444 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
I don't see him taking less money either.  I said the SAME money: MLE. 

I don't think the Lakers are offering the MLE to Odom, I haven't actually read what they are offering to Odom, the only MLE talk from LaLa Land is in regards to Ariza.

And SA should be considered as one of the top contenders for the title regardless of market size.  Unless I missed the announcement that small market teams weren't allowed to compete.  Then I am sure Orlando's fans will be upset.

Please note Lurker, I didn't mention the Spurs in my comment:

...no offense to either party but Odom and San Antonio just don't go together.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
"I don't see player X doing this just for spite."

The problem is that Player X just helped you win a championship.  Where's the organizational loyalty?  You got your BIGGEST POSSIBLE PAYDAY because of his efforts.  So why are you low-balling him?

It's about EQUAL respect.  And if you don't get it, you'll take equal dollars to go somewhere reasonably close that MIGHT give it to you.

If the Lakers offer Odom only the MLE, that's a slap in the face.  Why stay in a place where you're going to get slapped in the face after helping deliver a championship?

We are talking about Ariza though Joe.  Odom had nothing to do with the 'slap in the face' comment.  If Ariza does in fact leave to spite the Lakers they will have more money to pay Lamar Odom so I think it wouldn't be an issue.  Both Ariza and Odom (and their agents) should be able to understand that in order to keep the entire team in tact that they both have to come to an agreement.  If one bolts then it changes the talks.

I still feel like this is an agent talking and not the actual player.  WOW/LFD over the past 2 years have you seen any hint of ego from Ariza that would make him comment along those lines?  Ariza's bone head agent represents four players.  One of his other clients?  Andrew Bynum.  Rumors flying about the agent is salty about what went on with the Bynum deal and is using Ariza to get back at them.  Gotta love those sports agents!  You know they all love LA.  Just ask Brand's agent LOL!

Odom would be a nice addition to the Spurs because it gives them a 3rd ball handler, two of the best rebounders in the league, and would improve their fast breaking ability.  He is not going to leave LA though.  ESPECIALLY if Ariza bolts.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 10:29:21 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
I don't see him taking less money either.  I said the SAME money: MLE. 

I don't think the Lakers are offering the MLE to Odom, I haven't actually read what they are offering to Odom, the only MLE talk from LaLa Land is in regards to Ariza.

I haven't read what LA is offering Odom either.  Just that I know all SA can offer is the MLE and if on equal ground financially IMO the Spurs have a shot at him.

And SA should be considered as one of the top contenders for the title regardless of market size.  Unless I missed the announcement that small market teams weren't allowed to compete.  Then I am sure Orlando's fans will be upset.

Please note Lurker, I didn't mention the Spurs in my comment:
then what team was the small market comment directed towards?

...no offense to either party but Odom and San Antonio just don't go together.

That's a different discussion and one where we probably disagree.  Odom has done best in the two situations where there was a strong perimeter scorer/playmaker, a high quality big man and Odom wasn't needed to be 'the man': Miami (Wade/Shaq) and LA (Kobe/Gasol).  I don't see why he wouldn't have similar success in SA.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
We are talking about Ariza though Joe.  Odom had nothing to do with the 'slap in the face' comment.  If Ariza does in fact leave to spite the Lakers they will have more money to pay Lamar Odom so I think it wouldn't be an issue.  Both Ariza and Odom (and their agents) should be able to understand that in order to keep the entire team in tact that they both have to come to an agreement.  If one bolts then it changes the talks.

This is not in character with Ariza but I think so many people miss the fact that Ariza and his agent are negotiating for his LIVELYHOOD (sic?), they are not trying to keep a championship team together, nor are they trying to build a dynasty, nor are they trying to stay under the cap.  I think it's extreemely unfair to bring in all those other factors because in the end this is how the guy takes care of his family and anything can happen and IMO you have to treat every contract like it's your last.

I still feel like this is an agent talking and not the actual player.  WOW/LFD over the past 2 years have you seen any hint of ego from Ariza that would make him comment along those lines?  Ariza's bone head agent represents four players.  One of his other clients?  Andrew Bynum.  Rumors flying about the agent is salty about what went on with the Bynum deal and is using Ariza to get back at them.  Gotta love those sports agents!  You know they all love LA.  Just ask Brand's agent LOL!

This is pretty close to the tactic the agent took with Bynum last year.  Bynum and his agent took about 12 to 14 million less than what they were asking for so they are not that unreasonable.  IMO the MLE is exactly what Ariza is WORTH, the Lakers may OWE him more but his actual worth is the MLE.

Odom would be a nice addition to the Spurs because it gives them a 3rd ball handler, two of the best rebounders in the league, and would improve their fast breaking ability.  He is not going to leave LA though.  ESPECIALLY if Ariza bolts.

The Spurs are not going to get Odom, that's just some horrible journalism on the part of the LA Times.  Odom is going to take close to a 10 million dollar paycut over the life of his contract just to spite the Lakers?  Helz EN OH!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
The Spurs are not going to get Odom, that's just some horrible journalism on the part of the LA Times.  Odom is going to take close to a 10 million dollar paycut over the life of his contract just to spite the Lakers?  Helz EN OH!

How would taking the MLE from one team be a $10 million haircut compared to the MLE of another team?

You keep talking about no MLE for Odom.  Everyone else is talking about if he gets only MLE offers.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Besides the Lakers don't need Odom any more.

The Lakers let a deadline to terminate the second-year contracts of D.J. Mbenga and Josh Powell pass without action Wednesday, meaning they'll be back with the team next season.

;)
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

How would taking the MLE from one team be a $10 million haircut compared to the MLE of another team?

You keep talking about no MLE for Odom.  Everyone else is talking about if he gets only MLE offers.

Wait am I wrong...I thought the MLE was only on the table for Ariza, not Odom?

WOW, while I agree they are fighting for his lively hood and they need to think of Ariza first, team second, don't you think at the same time they have to understand that it's not a 'slap in the face' to offer the MLE if they are trying to keep everyone on the roster?  They are paying him more money.  Just not 7-8 million a year.  He is getting a raise, just not a massive one.  That is kind of what I meant.  Not that he needs to put his own needs aside for the team but understand that offer wasn't a 'slap to the face' as much as really what they can do with Odom also being a FA.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
I haven't read what LA is offering Odom either.  Just that I know all SA can offer is the MLE and if on equal ground financially IMO the Spurs have a shot at him.

There is now way I expect the Lakers to ONLY offer the MLE to Odom, there is no way the Lakers and Spurs offers will be on equal ground.  The MLE is going to Ariza, or his replacement.  If the Lakers were to offer ONLY the MLE to Odom then I would expect him to bolt because that is way too low an offer and I would consider it a bad move on the Lakers part and would not hold it against Odom to sign with another team, especially a contendor, for the same money.

I just don't think the city of San Antonio and Odom are a good mix, it's not in Odom's character/lifestyle to live in a small city like SA.  The Spurs are a world class organization regardless of their city but players do take into account where they will call home if all things moneywise are equal, or close to equal.

That's a different discussion and one where we probably disagree.  Odom has done best in the two situations where there was a strong perimeter scorer/playmaker, a high quality big man and Odom wasn't needed to be 'the man': Miami (Wade/Shaq) and LA (Kobe/Gasol).  I don't see why he wouldn't have similar success in SA.

It's not about the team/role as much as it is about geography.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

I just don't think the city of San Antonio and Odom are a good mix, it's not in Odom's character/lifestyle to live in a small city like SA.  The Spurs are a world class organization regardless of their city but players do take into account where they will call home if all things moneywise are equal, or close to equal.

I see your point...might not agree completely but understand.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
LeBron is working very hard to lure Artest to the Cavs.  The Cavs are working very hard to lure Ariza.

Very interesting, they could trump the VC signing in Orlando if they land either guy.  If Hedo leaves I think the Cavs and Celtics are going to be the favorites.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

What WOW means is Odom is a very social guy.  He has a lot of celebrity friends, he likes to make appearances at the clubs out here in the off-season, he owns some businesses out here, and enjoys all those other perks of being a 'socialite'.  He also has never spent a long length of time in a smaller city minus his short stint in Rhode Island.  He was born and raised in New York, moved to LA after he turned 19, was in Miami for 2 years, then back to LA.

I know it sounds silly to people that a person who is going to live in a mansion, drive nice cars, and get a lot of attention in any city would care all that much about where they live but they do. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
What WOW means is Odom is a very social guy.  He has a lot of celebrity friends, he likes to make appearances at the clubs out here in the off-season, he owns some businesses out here, and enjoys all those other perks of being a 'socialite'.  He also has never spent a long length of time in a smaller city minus his short stint in Rhode Island.  He was born and raised in New York, moved to LA after he turned 19, was in Miami for 2 years, then back to LA.

I know it sounds silly to people that a person who is going to live in a mansion, drive nice cars, and get a lot of attention in any city would care all that much about where they live but they do. 

What good does it do to have millions of dollars at your disposal if everything in the city is closed by 8 p.m.  ;D  I remember living in N. San Diego and the only places open after 8 p.m. were Food 4 Less and Target (Tar jh-ay).

From Ron Artest's twitter:
"we are playing pool at lamar odums barn in hollywood"

He also tweeted that the Knicks gave him a 12 million dollar contract, he said Thanks Donnie Walsh, he then followed that up by saying he signed with the Brookland Dodgers but then he lost the contract.  He's messing with Laker fans heads.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

What good does it do to have millions of dollars at your disposal if everything in the city is closed by 8 p.m.  ;D  I remember living in N. San Diego and the only places open after 8 p.m. were Food 4 Less and Target (Tar jh-ay).

From Ron Artest's twitter:
"we are playing pool at lamar odums barn in hollywood"

He also tweeted that the Knicks gave him a 12 million dollar contract, he said Thanks Donnie Walsh, he then followed that up by saying he signed with the Brookland Dodgers but then he lost the contract.  He's messing with Laker fans heads.

His agent already announced someone is using Ron's name on twiiter but it isn't his account.  He supposedly sent a tweet last night that said "thanks Houston.  Loved the time."
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
This just flew across the wire...

League Execs believe that whomever loses out on Hedo, POR or TOR, is going to offer Ariza 32-40 million to sign.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email

Lamar could chew tobacco and skin fish with the locals.  And when finished in these endeavors with the women he could probably watch NASCAR with the local men.