Author Topic: Turmoil in LaLa Land. Ariza probably gone but LA in the lead for Ron Artest.  (Read 6446 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
It's been reported on ESPN that Ariza is not happy with the MLE offer from the Lakers and is now butt hurt and will sign for the MLE with some other team.  That other team looks to be Cleveland.

The other interesting news, more like wild rumors, is that the Lakers have now turned their attention towards Ron Artest.  There is an article that states Ron is not going to return to the Rockets because they are only willing to offer a 1 year deal to Ron.  So Laker fans are getting excited about the "twittering" going on between Ron and his brother, the are going back and forth between the Cavs and Lakers and Ron's brother said that LA is in the lead.  Ron just left LA and is on his way to Vegas, don't know who he met with but the Lakers were probably in the neighborhood but so is Danny Ferry and King James is in Vegas right now.

Exciting stuff but I'm not happy to hear that there are problems with the Lakers and Ariza.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Cool!  :)

Updated: July 1, 2009, 9:55 PM ET
Sources: Clips trade Randolph

The Los Angeles Clippers opened a starting position for No. 1 pick Blake Griffin on Wednesday.

Power forward Zach Randolph was traded to the Memphis Grizzlies for swingman Quentin Richardson, sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford. The deal was first reported by the Los Angeles Times.  The trade can't be finalized until the league establish the salary cap July 8 and lifts the moratorium on player movement.

The Clippers acquired Randolph from the Knicks last November to fill the void left by Elton Brand signing with the Sixers. Randolph averaged 20.9 points and 9.4 rebounds per contest in 39 games for Los Angeles. A knee injury cost him time, however, and the Clippers limped to the worst record in the league.

On draft night, the Knicks traded Richardson to the Grizzlies for center Darko Milicic. Richardson won't play a game for Memphis. The nine-year veteran averaged 10.2 points and 4.4 rebounds last season. He now returns to the team that drafted him in the first round of the 2000 draft.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Why does this sound like a bad rumor that ESPN wanted to turn into news?  Not saying it isn't possible.  Certainly I can see that he would want more money but if it's that much about the money why would he just take it from Cleveland?  Wouldn't they be offering the same amount?  A slap to the face and then signing somewhere else out of spite sounds more like an agent talking than a guy like Trevor Ariza who is pretty quiet and humble.  There has not been a single time where he has shown any hint of an ego in public appearances, interviews, or in the locker room so I find it strange that he would take 5.6 million as a 'slap' to the face.  That doesn't strike me as a phrase that would come out of someones mouth who did not have an ego.   Just my take.  All Laker fans can vouche that he is a very humble and quiet, almost shy guy.

As for the MLE in general, couldn't a team offer a player the MLE but stretch out the terms so the deal ends up being say 30+ million over the length of time?

IMO Ron Artest has no shot at coming to LA for a few reasons:

- Kobe Bryant's ego will force him to use his influence to stomp his feet around

- Phil Jackson is looking to ease out of coaching and hand the reigns over to Rambis.  There will be no 'resting' for Phil Jackson if another large ego and hot head gets on this team.

- I don't think he would take that money

- If he runs into the stands in Los Angeles the Raider fans will flip him over like a car and light him on fire as if we just won the championship
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 12:42:09 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
As for the MLE in general, couldn't a team offer a player the MLE but stretch out the terms so the deal ends up being say 30+ million over the length of time?

There is a limit on the raise and years (2 or 3) that can be given with the MLE.  So no a team can't lock players up long term with a MLE offer.

I also agree taking the same money from another team just to spite the Lakers for what he (or his agent) considers a low ball offer is stupid...especially in a tight economy when teams are tightening their spending.

IMO Ron Artest has no shot at coming to LA for a few reasons:

- Kobe Bryant's ego will force him to use his influence to stomp his feet around

- Phil Jackson is looking to ease out of coaching and hand the reigns over to Rambis.  There will be no 'resting' for Phil Jackson if another large ego and hot head gets on this team.

- I don't think he would take that money

- If he runs into the stands in Los Angeles the Raider fans will flip him over like a car and light him on fire as if we just won the championship

- Ron says he & Kobe are tight and can work together
 - IMO Artest needs a strong teammate OR a coach he respects.  I think Kobe can keep him in line
 - If no one offers more than the MLE what choice does he have?
 - could be the best thing to ever happen to Ron.   ;D

In somewhat related news the local stations reported that the Spurs have contacted Odom.  I like that move for the Spurs...better than what appears to be their first option: Sheed.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
In somewhat related news the local stations reported that the Spurs have contacted Odom.  I like that move for the Spurs...better than what appears to be their first option: Sheed.

I've been reading a lot about Odom and the Spurs and there is no way the Spurs can clear enough cap space to lure Odom away from the Lakers.  It seems that the LA Times had nothing to offer so they just made up the story without looking at the reality of his salary and the cap.  The other possibility is that Odom's camp/agent is floating that story to put pressure on the Lakers.  The only realistic way for the Spurs to get Odom is with a sign and trade but that doesn't work for a couple of reasons: 1. Who can the Spurs trade that would intice the Lakers and 2. Why would the Lakers help their only true rival in the Western Conference?  I guess a 3rd team could get involved but even then don't all the teams know who's involved in the overall trade?  I just don't see the Lakers helping out the Spurs.  Seems close to impossible for the Spurs to land Odom, IMO they are going to have to aquire a player with the MLE, and their best option for that is Sheed.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

I've been reading a lot about Odom and the Spurs and there is no way the Spurs can clear enough cap space to lure Odom away from the Lakers.  It seems that the LA Times had nothing to offer so they just made up the story without looking at the reality of his salary and the cap.  The other possibility is that Odom's camp/agent is floating that story to put pressure on the Lakers.  The only realistic way for the Spurs to get Odom is with a sign and trade but that doesn't work for a couple of reasons: 1. Who can the Spurs trade that would intice the Lakers and 2. Why would the Lakers help their only true rival in the Western Conference?  I guess a 3rd team could get involved but even then don't all the teams know who's involved in the overall trade?  I just don't see the Lakers helping out the Spurs.  Seems close to impossible for the Spurs to land Odom, IMO they are going to have to aquire a player with the MLE, and their best option for that is Sheed.

The Spurs would offer only the MLE...and probably a starting position.  But if all LA offers is the MLE then I could Odom moving on.  IMO Odom is one of those players squeezed by the economy and owners' new found frugality.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Gotta love those Grizzlies.

What did they do with all that cap room that they got from dumping the "too expensive" Gasol?  They spent it by getting ZACH RANDOLPH, who missed a significant part of last season with injury.

Absolutely stupid.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
^ You've got a problem with the way the Los Angeles Grizzleys do business?

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
Okay - let's see if I have this straight:

I've got a player who has been a valuable role-player on my championship team.  He wants more than the MLE to keep playing for me.  He's a valuable perimeter defender, defers well to my superstars, is a native son of the city, and has shown great strides in improving his shot under my system.

I've got a superstar-caliber player known for taking the game less than seriously (wanting to focus on his record company during the season), arguing with coaches - except for one single coach who happens to have been the coach for a huge rival, has caused organizational embarrassment for several franchises, wants the ball more than his offensive talent should allow him to have it, has been known to feud for the spotlight, and generally sours on teams two years after going there.  He'll command the MLE or more if I can afford it.

What soon-to-be-future-Memphis-Grizzlies-GM thinks it's better to sign the second one than offer a miniscule amount more than the MLE for the first?

If the Lakers sign *THIS* generation's version of Dennis Rodman, they deserve the headache they get.
Joe

-----------

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile

What did they do with all that cap room that they got from dumping the "too expensive" Gasol?  They spent it by getting ZACH RANDOLPH, who missed a significant part of last season with injury.

Absolutely stupid.

I'm totally confused by that as well but I'm so glad the Clippers got rid of Randolf!  I'm starting to think Dunleavy is a good GM, horrible coach but a good GM.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Okay - let's see if I have this straight:

I've got a player who has been a valuable role-player on my championship team.  He wants more than the MLE to keep playing for me.  He's a valuable perimeter defender, defers well to my superstars, is a native son of the city, and has shown great strides in improving his shot under my system.

I've got a superstar-caliber player known for taking the game less than seriously (wanting to focus on his record company during the season), arguing with coaches - except for one single coach who happens to have been the coach for a huge rival, has caused organizational embarrassment for several franchises, wants the ball more than his offensive talent should allow him to have it, has been known to feud for the spotlight, and generally sours on teams two years after going there.  He'll command the MLE or more if I can afford it.

What soon-to-be-future-Memphis-Grizzlies-GM thinks it's better to sign the second one than offer a miniscule amount more than the MLE for the first?

If the Lakers sign *THIS* generation's version of Dennis Rodman, they deserve the headache they get.

I totally agree but Ron Artest is like that quarter machine at the arcade.  You know the one that has all those little arms that push the quarters over the edge and into your pocket.  It seems like every level is one quarter away from dropping 5 dollars worth of quarters.  Ron is very inticing if he can hold it together for a couple of years, if any team/player/coach combo can keep Ron in line it's the NBA WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS/FINALS MVP KOBE/LORD OF THE RINGS PJ.

That being said I would prefer the Lakers keep Ariza and have a guy like Matt Barnes on a side burner.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The Spurs would offer only the MLE...and probably a starting position.  But if all LA offers is the MLE then I could Odom moving on.  IMO Odom is one of those players squeezed by the economy and owners' new found frugality.

I don't think a starting position is a big deal for Odom, he's already wasted his contract year comming off the bench, so staying on the bench after getting paid is no big deal.  I don't see why Odom would leave the "Team of the Decade" that just won a championship to take less money in a small market team, no offense to either party but Odom and San Antonio just don't go together.  I don't see Odom hurting himself that much just out of spite.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
"I don't see player X doing this just for spite."

The problem is that Player X just helped you win a championship.  Where's the organizational loyalty?  You got your BIGGEST POSSIBLE PAYDAY because of his efforts.  So why are you low-balling him?

It's about EQUAL respect.  And if you don't get it, you'll take equal dollars to go somewhere reasonably close that MIGHT give it to you.

If the Lakers offer Odom only the MLE, that's a slap in the face.  Why stay in a place where you're going to get slapped in the face after helping deliver a championship?
Joe

-----------

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

Absolutely stupid.

I'm totally confused by that as well but I'm so glad the Clippers got rid of Randolf!  I'm starting to think Dunleavy is a good GM, horrible coach but a good GM.

Until you really think about what he got in return.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

I don't think a starting position is a big deal for Odom, he's already wasted his contract year comming off the bench, so staying on the bench after getting paid is no big deal.  I don't see why Odom would leave the "Team of the Decade" that just won a championship to take less money in a small market team, no offense to either party but Odom and San Antonio just don't go together.  I don't see Odom hurting himself that much just out of spite.

I don't see him taking less money either.  I said the SAME money: MLE. 

And SA should be considered as one of the top contenders for the title regardless of market size.  Unless I missed the announcement that small market teams weren't allowed to compete.  Then I am sure Orlando's fans will be upset.
-Moody Blues