Author Topic: Does it seem odd that only the "elite" are getting better?  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Does it seem odd that only the "elite" are getting better?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »
Free agency is nothing more than the opportunity for bad teams to overpay for marginal talent.

I tend to agree Joe, most teams lock up the good/great talent before they can hit the market.

I do too.

But this year I see less likelihood of that happening (there will still be 1 or 2) because:

1. the economy - many teams are on record saying they are tightening their belts.
2. the FA class of 2010 - many teams are on record 'saving' for next year.
3. the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement - who wants to commit long term if the new agreement has lower caps on max salary and length of contracts. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 10:30:38 AM »
3. the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement - who wants to commit long term if the new agreement has lower caps on max salary and length of contracts. 

Didn't know about that one.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »

Stern has addressed it a couple times in news releases.  The owners have already formed a committee and I think the players association has also.  Off the top of my head I believe the current agreement expires next year (2010) but the owners have a "team option" to extend it for 1 year.  Early trial balloons I have read seem to indicate that the owners want shorter (5 yr) contracts and smaller annual raises.  The players want a higher rookie scale and a bigger piece of the pie (larger share of revenues).
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »

Stern has addressed it a couple times in news releases.  The owners have already formed a committee and I think the players association has also.  Off the top of my head I believe the current agreement expires next year (2010) but the owners have a "team option" to extend it for 1 year.  Early trial balloons I have read seem to indicate that the owners want shorter (5 yr) contracts and smaller annual raises.  The players want a higher rookie scale and a bigger piece of the pie (larger share of revenues).

You are right on all accounts.  They were talking about this on the local sports radio the other day.

I still think the economy is the biggest factor.  Most teams are tightening their belt.  Many of which have NO CHANCE at landing a Lebron or Bosh due to money/demand/location. 

Also, I believe Dwayne Wade could opt out after this next season right?  His last year with Miami is 2010-2011 season for the contract he just signed a few seasons back.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 11:03:20 AM »
You are right on all accounts.  They were talking about this on the local sports radio the other day.

I still think the economy is the biggest factor.  Most teams are tightening their belt.  Many of which have NO CHANCE at landing a Lebron or Bosh due to money/demand/location. 

Also, I believe Dwayne Wade could opt out after this next season right?  His last year with Miami is 2010-2011 season for the contract he just signed a few seasons back.

DWade will be part of the monster FA class next season.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"