Author Topic: The Sixers free agency thread.  (Read 27225 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: The Sixers free agency thread.
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
I had much higher hopes for Williams as a scoring PG until I saw him play in person last year.  He was awful at leading ot outletting on the break, something a PG on an uptempo team needs to do well no matter what halfcourt offense they run.  He sees passing lanes where there aren't any and misses obvious ones, it was painful to watch. 

My seats were directly above and behind the basket, it was like sitting in a place where you would put a camera to record game films, you could really see each play develop with no odd viewing angles.  Great seats for being upper level, actually, but the important thing was seeing how Lou could not read the opne floor court at all.  On the dribble he was fine, but as soon as he went to pass it was a horror show.  Until I saw him that way I never realized how bad he was at being a PG.  With Hiliday's size, he and Lou can make a nice combo off the bench with lou mostly running off the ball, where his slashing skills will indeed play nicely in the PO.  But if he is the starting PG, we are in huge trouble.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2009, 04:46:11 PM »
On a positive note, I saw the Sixers Summer league opening game and Speights was clearly the best player on the floor. Jrue looked very good on both ends of the floor, liked how he and Christmas were on the defensive end. One of the Nets players was very selfish and wouldn't pass the ball. Kept forcing shots and missing. Not sure what it was, but Speights got a technical right after CDR got his shot blocked. I think Speights was pissed because he didn't pass him the ball for the slam.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2009, 08:23:26 AM »
Interesting views form management on Speights and Holiday's performance in the summer league game yeaterday.  Despite his underwhelming stats they seemed quite pleased with Holiday, while Speights scored a ton (on 11 of 26 shots though) and had 11 boards and management was not pleased at all with a lack of execution and a propensity to jack up three pointers.  A lot to read into there.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20090707_Mostly_positive_reviews_for_Sixers__rookie_Holiday_in_Orlando_Summer_League.html

and

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20090707_Sixers_get_look_at_Holiday_in_summer_league.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:25:20 AM by Skates »

Offline steelerbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2009, 08:56:14 AM »

" BREAKING NEWS! "

Free agent point guard Mike Bibby has agreed to a three-year
deal worth an estimated $18 million to return to the Hawks,
according to two people familiar with the situation.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2009/
07/07/bibby_hawks.html

Now, I don't care WHAT anyone says here or anywhere else. If Ed Stefanski re-signs Miller at even ONE penny more than Bibby accepted, then Stefanski should immediately be fired! Let alone giving him the money that jason Kidd reportedly agreed to which is believed to be 3 years at 25 million

Boy, 3 years at 18 million, for Bibby ? That's not even close to full MLE money. C;mon Ed, don't be a " Billy King ", and bid against yourself when NOBODY else is even courting Dre Miller.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2009, 09:27:26 AM »
If they intended to overpay Miller, they would have already done it.  Two years or less or he is not going to be here is their motto so far.  I would be very disappointed if they cave at this point, and I don't see it happening.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2009, 10:00:52 AM »
Interesting views form management on Speights and Holiday's performance in the summer league game yeaterday.  Despite his underwhelming stats they seemed quite pleased with Holiday, while Speights scored a ton (on 11 of 26 shots though) and had 11 boards and management was not pleased at all with a lack of execution and a propensity to jack up three pointers.  A lot to read into there.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20090707_Mostly_positive_reviews_for_Sixers__rookie_Holiday_in_Orlando_Summer_League.html

and

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20090707_Sixers_get_look_at_Holiday_in_summer_league.html

Speights is trying to show his range. There's no better place to do it than in these games.  He is capable of hitting that outside shot, but needs to work on it.  The coaches want him inside, but no one driving is passing the ball.  Sharing a team with another club is causing continuity problems.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2009, 07:23:40 PM »
Shouldn't the Sixers be a bit more active in the free agent market? They currently have 5 free agents, including Ratliff who won't be back. Miller, Donyell, Kareem Rush and Royal Ivey. It looks to me like the Sixers need to find at least 3 players and 4 if they loose Miller.

Even if they invite Christmas to training camp along with Holiday,  they're still going to need to add a few more players. I wonder what Ed is doing.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2009, 08:32:06 PM »
Waiting out a slow market for the cheap guys and seeing what happens with Miller first.  They are obviously trying to capitalize on having cap space in two summers or having expirings to trade next summer and won't be taking on any players looking for more than a one or two year deal unless they can add a core guy, which they can't with the MLE.

I would prefer they not blow future cap flexibility with stupidity this summer.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2009, 09:22:11 PM »
Waiting out a slow market for the cheap guys and seeing what happens with Miller first.  They are obviously trying to capitalize on having cap space in two summers or having expirings to trade next summer and won't be taking on any players looking for more than a one or two year deal unless they can add a core guy, which they can't with the MLE.

I would prefer they not blow future cap flexibility with stupidity this summer.

The perfect strategy IMO.  The contracts that some of these players are getting is just ridiculous.  I loved watching the Pistons quickly bid against themselves as fast as possible.  Who are we bidding against for Andre Miller?  The answer: nobody.  Stefanski has obviously learned from Billy King's mistakes.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2009, 09:30:26 AM »
Well, there is the matter of player and agent perceptions. They're all looking for big long-term contracts and very few will get them. Once the rest realize that there isn't a market for them, Ed will be able to dictate terms, knowing that the agent and player will be grateful that someone thinks they're still worthy of playing in the NBA.

I just read that Rodney Carney turned the Sixers down, looking for more.  I like his energy as a player and think he'd be good as a back-up to Young. But only for a short-term, low money deal.  If he can outplay Thad, then we'd have to reconsider, but no none is looking at him like they are Ariza or Artest.

I would like to see if they could do something with a free agent PF. Millsap would be a nice addition, and no one is going after him for big money.  Ed should talk with his agent and see what he is thinking. I think the big names and big money are already gone, it's just taking the agents and players time to realize that they aren't in a strong position.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2009, 09:55:55 AM »
No chance you can get millsap for the MLE IMO.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2009, 11:09:36 AM »
I read that Millsap isn't getting any big offers and might even stay with Utah for the minimum for 1 yr. Since the salary cap is going down, it's even less likely that any teams are going to offer him anything substantial, and the Sixers might be able to get away with an MLE offer or less on a short-term deal. 

I'm not sure about how good a fit he'd be as he's not really a Center. If we need a back up for Thad, I'd rather get Linas Kleiza.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2009, 08:14:12 PM »
Both of the philly.com Sixers blogs are reporting that Andre Miller is gone unless he agrees to 1 year at around 6 mil.  Should Miller not re-sign (likely), Lou Williams will get first shot, they'll give a look at Jrue, and they'll look for a veteran PG to back up.  It sounds like Stefanski is resigned to not winning this year (smart!) and maybe not even next year, and make their hard runs after Dalembert, Green, and Kapono are gone and we have a bit more talent and our young guys have some more experience.  The best plan at this point IMO.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2009, 08:21:43 PM »
most of the cap flexibility we'll gain by losing those 3 contracts will be chewed up by Young's extension and the general increase in salaries of Iguodala and Brand.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2009, 09:15:11 PM »
most of the cap flexibility we'll gain by losing those 3 contracts will be chewed up by Young's extension and the general increase in salaries of Iguodala and Brand.

According to hoopshype, we'll only have around 46 mil tied up, with Thad and Smith both being RFAs (which means unless we extend them inseason, we only have the cap hold number).  The problem is if the cap stays around 50 mil rather than going back up to 57-58 mil.  There's really no reason to tie it up now though, especially with a 33 year old PG.