Author Topic: All Defensive Teams.  (Read 2762 times)

jn

All Defensive Teams.
« on: April 26, 2004, 06:10:17 PM »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 06:45:31 PM »
I don't t think Kobe's one of the two best defensive guards in the game.  A good defender?  Sure.  Very good?  Ok.  Elite?  eh.....no.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 07:37:57 PM »
I don't t think Kobe's one of the two best defensive guards in the game.  A good defender?  Sure.  Very good?  Ok.  Elite?  eh.....no.
Not this year.  If he did play that kind of defense to warrant his spot on that team then the Lakers perimeter defense would have looked better the entire year.  I think a few of those second all team guys could have easily taken Kobe's spot.  Theo Ratliff played way better defense this year than Kobe.

Although I must say the best one on one defensive battle this year was won by Kobe when he shut down T-mac.  Very great game to have tickets for.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 09:30:54 AM »
Although they both deserve it...I find it interesting that Bowen is a guard & Artest is a forward.  A little liberty taken in determining positions.

:ph34r:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 12:52:17 PM »
Although they both deserve it...I find it interesting that Bowen is a guard & Artest is a forward.  A little liberty taken in determining positions.

Nope.  Indy's line up is Tins@1, Miller@2 and Artest@3 all year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 01:20:31 PM »
Although they both deserve it...I find it interesting that Bowen is a guard & Artest is a forward.  A little liberty taken in determining positions.

And the Spurs lineup is Parker, Hedo/Manu, & Bowen all year.  So they took liberties with calling Bowen a guard.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 01:33:03 PM »
Although they both deserve it...I find it interesting that Bowen is a guard & Artest is a forward.  A little liberty taken in determining positions.

And the Spurs lineup is Parker, Hedo/Manu, & Bowen all year.  So they took liberties with calling Bowen a guard.
I thought it was Hedo that got the nod to start early on.  I read how Hedo's game turned around after he was a starter for the better.  Hedo at 6'10 is hardly a guard compared to Bowen.  I'll go with the designation that everyone outside of Texass public "skool" system came up with.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 01:47:00 PM »

I thought it was Hedo that got the nod to start early on.  I read how Hedo's game turned around after he was a starter for the better.  Hedo at 6'10 is hardly a guard compared to Bowen.  I'll go with the designation that everyone outside of Texass public "skool" system came up with.
Listen to introductions some time.  Hedo is introduced as the starting guard.  Manu was the starter for the first 35+ games then Hedo took over.  Bowen started last year at sf and has started all of this year at sf.  The Spurs list Bowen as their sf...although on defense he will guard everything from the 1 to the 4.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 01:59:30 PM »
Listen to introductions some time.  Hedo is introduced as the starting guard.  Manu was the starter for the first 35+ games then Hedo took over.  Bowen started last year at sf and has started all of this year at sf.  The Spurs list Bowen as their sf...although on defense he will guard everything from the 1 to the 4.
Oh it's the introductions now...LMAO!

Hedo did an awesome job on Kobe, Allen and Carter.  Props to Hedo!

PAH LEEZE!  Give it up!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 02:09:09 PM »
Listen to introductions some time.  Hedo is introduced as the starting guard.  Manu was the starter for the first 35+ games then Hedo took over.  Bowen started last year at sf and has started all of this year at sf.  The Spurs list Bowen as their sf...although on defense he will guard everything from the 1 to the 4.

PAH LEEZE!  Give it up!
And Artest didn't guard those players?  So Indy has their sf cover opposing guards but the Spurs can't do that.

California educational logic.....
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 02:23:24 PM »
Listen to introductions some time.  Hedo is introduced as the starting guard.  Manu was the starter for the first 35+ games then Hedo took over.  Bowen started last year at sf and has started all of this year at sf.  The Spurs list Bowen as their sf...although on defense he will guard everything from the 1 to the 4.

PAH LEEZE!  Give it up!
And Artest didn't guard those players?  So Indy has their sf cover opposing guards but the Spurs can't do that.

California educational logic.....
Artest can do both and Bowen is almost always guarding the oppositions 2.  He's too small to gaurd most 3's.  Artest uses his strenght to guard 2's but most are able to burn him with their speed so he's usually guarding the 3's and in crunch time will be swtiched to guard 2's.  Much like Kobe is called upon to guard 1's when the game is on the line.

Artest is a 3 who occasionally guards a 2, Bowen is a 2 who rarely guards a 3.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 02:27:30 PM »
No, Bowen guards the opposition's best perimeter threat....basically the same guys Artest guards.  Hedo guards the same players that Reggie does.

However you can spin it any way you want.   ;)  
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 02:37:44 PM »
No, Bowen guards the opposition's best perimeter threat....basically the same guys Artest guards.  Hedo guards the same players that Reggie does.

However you can spin it any way you want.   ;)
FYI: Reggie starts out the game guarding Kobe, Ray Allen and other 2 guards.

No spinning needed, just watch the games.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 02:48:02 PM »
Artest is 6'7" and 246 pounds

Bowen is 6'7" and 200 pounds.

That height advantage that Artest has really helps.

And if Miller is guarding all those top scorers then why does Artest get so much defensive player attention.  Obviously Miller is the defender.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
All Defensive Teams.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 02:59:09 PM »
Artest is 6'7" and 246 pounds

Bowen is 6'7" and 200 pounds.

That height advantage that Artest has really helps.

And if Miller is guarding all those top scorers then why does Artest get so much defensive player attention.  Obviously Miller is the defender.
That's why I pointed out Artest strength.  Indy fans expected Ron to shut down Kobe but Kobe burned Ron with his speed cause he's used to muscling (sic?) the opposition.

Like I said Reggie starts out gurading those guys.

That fact we're "logically" arguing about this would lead me to believe they are in fact being somewhat "selective" or as you stated "liberal" with their designation.

Since that's the case I would think an argument could be made for Duncan and J O'Neil being considered centers.  That would, IMO, knock Shaq out of the first team all NBA since IMO both TD and JO have outplayed Shaq this year.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"