Author Topic: Richard Jefferson to the spurs  (Read 23393 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Richard Jefferson to the spurs
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2010, 09:51:12 PM »
^^ Pop had Blair on the court with 4 others under 6'7" including Finley.

Try having an ounce of intelligence when you attempt -and fail- to diss me.
This in addition to the numerous times Pop has had Finley play the SF or even PF the last 3 years.
Boxscore Betty.

Well, RealGenius, did you answer anything I asked?

And exactly how many of Finley's 15 minutes were played in the small ball lineup?

How many of Finley's 15 minutes coincided with minutes Odom was on the floor?

You won't get a straight answer so I'll just tell you.....

Id say about 5-6 minutes of Finley's time on the court was spent on Odom, if that.  He also was not the one who blew his assignment the most when on him.

The Lakers game plan was to run the ball down the throat of the Spurs.    The Lakers coaching staff felt that they had a major advantage in the speed category.  Especially with putting Odom in the starting line up in place of the injured and much slower Andrew Bynum. Outside of Parker the Spurs don't have anyone I think any of us would really consider 'fast'  Once the Lakers started to pull away Pop had no choice but to play small ball to try to match up speed.  Blair, Duncan, and Mcdyees had no chance of guarding Lamar.   They were getting killed on a number of plays.   Had he stuck to a bigger line up it would have continued on the same way.    It wasn't Lamar Odom's height that was causing problems last night, it was his speed.  Ditto for Jordan Farmar and Pau Gasol.  Pau was beating people down the court.  Not sure how height was going to help stop that.  In simpleton, everything is black and white world I guess if someone is taller they have longer legs so they must be able to cover a longer distance faster.

Don't listen to me though, Reality knows all.  Matt Bonner would have shut Lamar Odom down.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:57:15 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2010, 10:14:01 AM »

You won't get a straight answer so I'll just tell you.....

Id say about 5-6 minutes of Finley's time on the court was spent on Odom, if that.  He also was not the one who blew his assignment the most when on him.

The Lakers game plan was to run the ball down the throat of the Spurs.    The Lakers coaching staff felt that they had a major advantage in the speed category.  Especially with putting Odom in the starting line up in place of the injured and much slower Andrew Bynum. Outside of Parker the Spurs don't have anyone I think any of us would really consider 'fast'  Once the Lakers started to pull away Pop had no choice but to play small ball to try to match up speed.  Blair, Duncan, and Mcdyees had no chance of guarding Lamar.   They were getting killed on a number of plays.   Had he stuck to a bigger line up it would have continued on the same way.    It wasn't Lamar Odom's height that was causing problems last night, it was his speed.  Ditto for Jordan Farmar and Pau Gasol.  Pau was beating people down the court.  Not sure how height was going to help stop that.  In simpleton, everything is black and white world I guess if someone is taller they have longer legs so they must be able to cover a longer distance faster.

Don't listen to me though, Reality knows all.  Matt Bonner would have shut Lamar Odom down.

thanks, koast.

As I said I didn't watch the game; west coast start times are rough due to the 2 hour time difference.  I was just trying to get Reality to tell me how 6 minutes of game time that Odom was guarded by Finley was a key factor in deciding the game.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2010, 01:10:05 PM »
Yes thanks Koast.  :D  You two make great dance partners and i love to provide the music that makes you dance.

lurker And if you were even remotely cognizant of the team you claim to follow then you would realize Finley played mostly SG.
Lakers had Farmar, Shannon Brown (obviously at SG) and Artest on the floor.  Finley guarded Artest.
Lakers had Farrmar, Shannon Brown (obviously at SG) and Vagacic on the floor.  Finley guarded Vagacic.
Same scenario bukoo numerous times the past two, even three years.  Finley at the SF.
He was burned by both Artest and Vagacic.
By the time Pop had Finley guard Odom, it was with only about 2:20 left in the game.  Still technically in reach, at 90-81 Lakers.  Odom immediately posted up and easily burned Finley.  Did it once more for icing on the cake.  For a spell the Spurs had Parker, GHill and Finley in the game.  Finley at the SF.

I was just trying to get Reality to tell me how 6 minutes of game time that Odom was guarded by Finley was a key factor in deciding the game.
Had i ever said that was the key factor in deciding the game, that would be a fit.  Dance on.  :D
Earlier Bonehead (Bonner) was filayed by Odom.  Bonners treys sure did offset his weak D.  ::)
Dick Jefferson with yet another weak performance on O and D.  Spin away.

That is all.  For now.
(Band start up the music again)  :D

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
Yes thanks Koast.  :D  You two make great dance partners and i love to provide the music that makes you dance.

lurker And if you were even remotely cognizant of the team you claim to follow then you would realize Finley played mostly SG.
Lakers had Farmar, Shannon Brown (obviously at SG) and Artest on the floor.  Finley guarded Artest.
Lakers had Farrmar, Shannon Brown (obviously at SG) and Vagacic on the floor.  Finley guarded Vagacic.
Same scenario bukoo numerous times the past two, even three years.  Finley at the SF.
By the time Pop had Finley guard Odom, it was with only about 2:20 left in the game.  Still technically in reach, at 90-81 Lakers.  Odom immediately posted up and easily burned Finley.  Did it once more for icing on the cake.  For a spell the Spurs had Parker, GHill and Finley in the game.  Finley at the SF.

I was just trying to get Reality to tell me how 6 minutes of game time that Odom was guarded by Finley was a key factor in deciding the game.
Had i ever said that was the key factor in deciding the game, that would be a fit.  Dance on.  :D
Earlier Bonehead (Bonner) was filayed by Odom.  Bonners treys sure did offset his weak D.  ::)
Dick Jefferson with yet another weak performance on O and D.  Spin away.

That is all.  For now.
(Band start up the music again)  :D

Okay - when did Vujacic become a forward?  (Answer:  he isn't.)  And when did Finley STOP being a G/F?  (Answer: never.)
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2010, 05:30:20 PM »

Obviously....

Shannon Brown is too fast and jumps too high to be guarded by Michael Finley.  If he would have guarded Farmar he would have been too slow and it would have led to a mismatch.

Ron Artest and Finley are the same height.  Also, Finley plays G and F.  On top of that, who would you put on Artest instead?  He was the 2nd leading scorer that night.  Oh let me guess, Blair  :D

As he should.  Thankfully you are not the coach of the San Antonio Spurs....

For reasons I already stated, they are entirely too fast for Finley to guard on the perimeter AND they would be another mismatch size wise for the larger players on the floor.  Why would you put a 6'7 guy primarily on a 6'2 guy who is twice as fast?

News flash:  Michael Finley has always been listed as  G/F

Sasha made ONE shot with Finley on him.  The guy finished with 8 points.  Not quite sure why you think just because Michael Finley is not keeping anyone he is on from scoring any points that you have some kind of point.

Did you imply it?  Yes, yes you did.

Says the guy who wanted to see Bonner get more minutes and was the king of over hyping Brent Barry who was a similar type of player.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:53:54 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »
Okay - when did Vujacic become a forward?  (Answer:  he isn't.)  And when did Finley STOP being a G/F?  (Answer: never.)
Lurker, you've now heard from Joe and I that Finley is played at the F spot and not just SG.  weaksause is even bandwaggoning on board.
Is that enough?
Incidentally Poop uses him much more at the F spot, in a losing effort as in the Laker game and most all playoff losses.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2010, 09:42:33 PM »

When you make up crap and post it in a thread you go too far.  Good bye.  I haven't hit the ignore button before but now looks like a good time.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2010, 09:46:23 PM »
cutting and pasting your quotes is making stuff up?

It's okay to admit you're wrong.  It an internets discussion board.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2010, 01:49:18 AM »
Joe it does not look like the Spurs are going to try your idea of giving Jefferson 3 more minutes per game to drastically up his production.
They are however, trying to move him (in an attempt sure to fail) if SI.com is to be believed.

Lurker you are most appropriately silent.  :D

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/02/16/jefferson.rumors/index.html
Spurs shopping Jefferson before trade deadline
By Frank Hughes, SI.com

Displeased with the way he has fit into their system, the San Antonio Spurs are attempting to trade forward Richard Jefferson just days before the trade deadline, multiple league sources have confirmed.

However, because of Jefferson's lack of production this season, as well as his $14.2 million salary, it does not seem likely the Spurs are going to find any takers.

"They're trying, but there may not be a market for his contract," one Eastern Conference executive told SI.com.

Jefferson has one year and $15.2 million remaining after this season.

The calls being placed by Spurs general manager R.C. Buford are a stark admittance that he made a mistake when trading Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto to the Milwaukee Bucks for Jefferson, envisioning him as yet another talented scoring option to complement Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

Instead, the 29-year-old Jefferson is having the worst season since his rookie year, averaging 12.2 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists as he has struggled to fit in with the Spurs' primary trio.

Perhaps even more intriguing is whether Buford's intentions with Jefferson is a sign that he thinks the Spurs in their current form cannot win a title. The Spurs are essentially tied with the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Phoenix Suns for the fifth seed in the Western Conference but have lost eight of their past 14 games.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2010, 02:23:48 AM »
IMO, the Spurs biggest problem isn't Jefferson, but rather that their best player is clearly slowing down.  This year it's been ESPECIALLY noticable.  Duncan is still putting up solid stats, but if you watch the games (and I've watched quite a few of their national broadcasts), he's a full step slower, particularly on defense.

When I read the Sports Guy's newest column today (his annual trade value submission), he compared Duncan to a declining McHale.  In a recent game, rather than challenge a shot at the rim, he just folded and ducked away.  The guy's getting old, and FAST.

He could still help a team contend for a title, but he needs more help now than ever, and he's not getting it.

A young TD could have carried this team by himself.  Today?  Not so much ...
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2010, 10:43:38 AM »
IMO, the Spurs biggest problem isn't Jefferson, but rather that their best player is clearly slowing down.  This year it's been ESPECIALLY noticable.  Duncan is still putting up solid stats, but if you watch the games (and I've watched quite a few of their national broadcasts), he's a full step slower, particularly on defense.

When I read the Sports Guy's newest column today (his annual trade value submission), he compared Duncan to a declining McHale.  In a recent game, rather than challenge a shot at the rim, he just folded and ducked away.  The guy's getting old, and FAST.

He could still help a team contend for a title, but he needs more help now than ever, and he's not getting it.

A young TD could have carried this team by himself.  Today?  Not so much ...
Nothing like putting too much pressure/responsibility on Duncan, Wolfie. 
Something Popazit has done Duncans entire career.  You are absolutely correct when you say he needs more help now more then ever.
I agree with you he has lost a step.  So now he is no longer the RealMVP but rather just an All Star.  How many other NBA F/Cs are doing 19/10 in 32 minutes per game?!!!
The failure of Popazit to get a big man, or rather allow a big man and realSF to play next to Duncan is downright shameful and puts much too much pressure on Dunks, esp defensively.
Popazit named vice president of ALL things Spurs basketball in 2008 so the overplaying of Mike Finley at SF and PF, shipping off serviceable bigs, ditching Bruce Bowen in favor of Finley, making Ian Manhinmi crust away on the bench, signing of Dick Jefferson and his subsequent mega suckage (which Joe continues to dodge accountability) is ALL on Popovich.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:23:22 AM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2010, 11:43:27 AM »
Reality,

First, please STFU about Richard Jefferson.  You do not need to bring him into every single thread on the website.  Jokes about training gear and pools do not somehow relate to Richard Jefferson.  Second, are you not a Spurs fan?  Since when has the 4 time championship  Spurs team focused in on the regular season, let alone the first half of a regular season?  *IF* Richard Jefferson stinks in the playoffs you can continue on with this digital patting yourself on the back thing you've been doing.  The team all around doesn't look as good as most people thought they would but then again, they don't shine until the end of the year typically.  Are you trying to jump off the bandwagon early and blame it on Pop's inability to turn Richard Jefferson into Brent Barry?  Please let the rest of us know.

Signed,

People who actually follow the Spurs (not just people like you who got into them because they looked like the new age Celtics to challenge the basketball team who burned down your village or whatever crazy event trigger this obsession)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:46:58 AM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »
From the local news rag...

On paper, it seemed like a summertime slam dunk.

The Spurs traded for scoring swingman Richard Jefferson in June, the next day drafted DeJuan Blair, an All-American from Pittsburgh, and signed veteran forward Antonio McDyess in July.

With that flurry of offseason embellishments, consensus around the league was that the Spurs had done the most of any team to improve their chances of challenging the Los Angeles Lakers for NBA pre-eminence.

Eight months later, the same Spurs team that won the offseason is 30-21 after the All-Star break, currently sitting seventh in the Western Conference, and spinning its wheels just to gain traction in one of the most tightly contested playoff races in memory.

?Bottom line is, we just haven't jelled as a group to date,? coach Gregg Popovich said. ?We haven't developed a trust, a communication, a camaraderie on the court. That's rather strange for us.?

and

As the Spurs resume their rodeo trip tonight at Indiana, ?chemistry? has become the buzzword.

?It's been our biggest problem so far,? captain Tim Duncan said. ?Just trying to get everybody on the same page, trying to get a positive vibe and positive energy in the locker room. All of that stuff lends to chemistry.?

It is evident in fourth quarters, where the Spurs have often been unable to come together for the stop or the score required to close out tough games.

full article at: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_still_in_mix_but_lack_chemistry.html
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2010, 12:34:23 PM »
Reality,

Since when has the 4 time championship  Spurs team focused in on the regular season, let alone the first half of a regular season?  *IF* Richard Jefferson stinks in the playoffs you can continue on with this digital patting yourself on the back thing you've been doing.  The team all around doesn't look as good as most people thought they would but then again, they don't shine until the end of the year typically. 
Signed,

People who actually follow the Spurs (not just people like you who got into them because they looked like the new age Celtics to challenge the basketball team who burned down your village or whatever crazy event trigger this obsession)
:D :D another winner B-Rad.
PopApologist Excuse #5.  "This team is just waiting to flip the switch beginning with the Rodeo Road Tour.  Like they do every year".

Multiple problems with that fantacy.
When Timmy Dunks was the real MVP and Manu GNob was the leagues top shooting guard, along with speedy rested Parker, Bruce Bowen as the D stopper (not Mike Finley), not to mention TallBall being played, the Spurs could experiment in the 1st half.  Popazits job of rolling out the practice balls and coatailing his way to 3 titles was complete.

Many changes since then, and with Pops ruination of the Spurs in full mode, this team is not gonna be able to "flip the switch" like those Spurs teams you attempt to compare them to.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2010, 12:37:41 PM »
From the local news rag...

seventh in the Western Conference, and spinning its wheels just to gain traction in one of the most tightly contested playoff races in memory.

?Bottom line is, we just haven't jelled as a group to date,? coach Gregg Popovich said. ?We haven't developed a trust, a communication, a camaraderie on the court. That's rather strange for us.?

?It's been our biggest problem so far,? captain Tim Duncan said. ?Just trying to get everybody on the same page, trying to get a positive vibe and positive energy in the locker room. All of that stuff lends to chemistry.?

It is evident in fourth quarters, where the Spurs have often been unable to come together for the stop or the score required to close out tough games.

full article at: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_still_in_mix_but_lack_chemistry.html

PopApologist Excuse #1
"It's just taking time for players to learn Pops **system**".
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:39:28 PM by Reality »