Author Topic: Lakers over come series extending refs to win game 4!  (Read 5042 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers over come series extending refs to win game 4!
« on: June 11, 2009, 11:56:01 PM »
IMO this was the best game the Lakers have played all year.  The Magic were getting TONS of BS calls, forcing the Lakers to go 12 deep and they still managed to pull out a win.  The Lakers pretty much won the game playing 5 on 8.

HUGE shots by Fisher and Ariza kept the Lakers in the game durring the 3rd quarter. 

Kobe was a beast!  He OVERPOWERED the fake Superman and then when Howard starting crying like a little girl Kobe told him to "shut the f&#k up and play".  Howard got Kobe-Owned!

Uber-cheap shot by Petrius on that last dunk by Gasol.  Petrius actually hit Gasol with two FISTS, very dirty play and technically he trew a punch since BOTH his hands were clinched in a fist.

Jameer was tearing up the Lakers but Lewis was a no show.

I need to contact JoMal's therapist so I can start the "healing" process of dealing with the pain from the refs betting money on the Magic winning games 3 and 4 and calling the games to protect their best.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers over come series extending refs to win game 4!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 01:26:07 AM »
I won't get too much into the refs since you about covered it.  The TWO bad calls in OT looked to be back breakers for the Lakers.  The foul on Kobe when he shot that jumper and the Howard shove off on Gasol.  They also blew the Kobe foul on Nelson but I don't know if you can call that real time and know if it was a flop or not.  He did get hit, im saying they wouldn't have been able to tell as easily real time as we can with the replay from good angles.  So let's say 2-1 favorable calls in critical moments and just a bad job in overtime in general by the refs.

The game itself I thought the Lakers did a good job of not getting down on themselves and continuing to battle.  The last two series they did not do that and ended up getting blown out by the Nuggets and Rockets in similar positions.     Instead of being tied 2-2 with Orlando having a great shot to go up 3-2 they played hard, they played through questionable calls, and dealt with the nerves of OT on the road.  I think after tonight everyone will agree the Lakers are the best team in the league and are playing championship caliber basketball over the last 6 games (5-1).

Derek Fisher = Ol Faithful
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:31:56 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:59:15 AM »
That was a flagrant II on Pietrus IMO, for the reasons WOW cited, 2 CLOSED fists, while Gasol was in the air, from behind, very deliberate and intentional, he deserves a suspension, it was as inexcusable as I have ever seen in basketball, a dirty, cheap, punk play, when the outcome of the game was already decided, no little pop in the jaw, intentional or inadvertent, comes even close to the injury Gasol could have sustained being hit from behind, while in the air like that. If Ariza's play on the ball in Portland makes him a cheap shot artist, what does this make Pietrus?

LA overcame some seriously bad officiating and again, Rick, live by the 3, DIE BY THE 3, LA may have taken more 3's, but they certainly weren't their bread and butter (well except for Fisher and Ariza), and they were a huge +15 from inside the arc, including some pretty impressive post play from all the LA bigs. They did a great job keeping Lewis out of sync while at the same time bothering all their shooters to good effect with the exception of Hedo.

Good win, LA is CLEARLY the better team, oh and was it you Joe who said we would LOVE Ariza? I think this cat saved this game for us tonight, and Fisher is the new Horry.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:06:55 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:53:08 AM »
Free throws free throws free throws!!!  I wasn't terribly surprised to see Howard miss two but I was surprised to see Hedo miss 3 of 4 down the stretch.   Whatever else you may say about Hedo he's not afraid to take big shots.   

Nick Anderson lives indeed. 

Speaking of reffing I have to say that yes, the calls leave something to be desired but the amount of whining these teams do annoys me even more. 

I had been impressed the last couple games by Pietrus pulling himself together and playing with a lot of heart.  Then he has to go and pull that cheap play at the end.  Yep, he should be suspended. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
Free throws free throws free throws!!!  I wasn't terribly surprised to see Howard miss two but I was surprised to see Hedo miss 3 of 4 down the stretch.   Whatever else you may say about Hedo he's not afraid to take big shots.   

Nick Anderson lives indeed. 

Speaking of reffing I have to say that yes, the calls leave something to be desired but the amount of whining these teams do annoys me even more. 

I had been impressed the last couple games by Pietrus pulling himself together and playing with a lot of heart.  Then he has to go and pull that cheap play at the end.  Yep, he should be suspended. 

So they have Nick Anderson at the game before the tip AND they bring in that little girl because they are 7-0 when she sings?  A little...what's the word im looking for?

To play devil advocate here and by no means am I even remotely trying to argue FOR Pietrus' actions.......

I believe one of the commentators (JVG) said 'Pau Gasol should not have dunked the ball in that instance and that never would have happened has he ran around'  Do you guys think that Pau Gasol dunking the ball was a 'bad choice' that enraged an already frustrated Magic team?  The man JVG made it sound was almost along the lines of he was ASKING for it by doing what he did.  Agree or disagree?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:49:23 AM by westkoast »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 10:10:32 AM »
The refs had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.   What happened is that LA survived by hitting two timely threes.  The game would have been over, had Dwight managed to hit his free throws.

Disappointing loss for the Magic.  The outplayed the Lakers this game, played better defense, but could not execute at a high enough level on offense. They couldn't get the separation they needed to avoid the tie game at the end, not because of any great play by the Lakers but because Dwight couldn't make free throws.

Crying about the refs in this series is ridiculous.  They have blown some calls, but for the most part have called it fair.  I didn't like what Petrius did, but Gasol got a technical too. Whinning little beyatches, both of them.  This is a problem with European players, they don't have the American concept of sportsmanship down. Gasol's dunk in that situation was inflamitory, but a much cleaner play than Petrius response.

Hard to see Orlando come back from this one, a game they lost through poor play once they were up by 5 with a minute and a half left.  At the time I said, 2 more points and this game is over.  Orlando only managed one.  This has to hurt more than the other wins, since they actually earned it.

Lakers up 3-1 now with two wins coming in OT. The Magic should know that they're close, close enough that they could still take the series. Too bad, they blew Hedo's best game of the series.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:18:41 AM »
That is the STUPIDEST thing he could have ever said, (if he said it) and that is saying a lot. It's not like this was a 30 point blowout and they were frustrated that LA was running up the score, but even then it would have been inexcusable. It may have been decided already but LA was still only  up 7 with an NBA eternity left to go, you better believe he throws it down! Regardless, blowout or not, frustrated or not, you see the look on Peitrus face as he is coming up on Gasol, he has anger and intent on his face, he closes his fist and he cocks BOTH arms back to deliver that blow.

Bad choice indeed!
Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 10:39:31 AM »

Only surpassed by WOW's 10-15 posts of whining during and after every game.

I agree 100%.  Very cheap and definately should sit out the next game or two.  IMO worse than what Horry did to Nash.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 10:40:23 AM »

Good win, LA is CLEARLY the better team,
Two last second games and a 3rd (last nights) regulation choke by Orlando.
CLEARLY

:D :D :D thanks for the laugh.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 10:41:35 AM »
The refs had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.   What happened is that LA survived by hitting two timely threes.  The game would have been over, had Dwight managed to hit his free throws.

The refs had a LOT to do with this game, touch fouls by LA got called the whole game, LA played more of a post game than Orlando and they only got to the line 20 times to Orlando's 37.

Disappointing loss for the Magic.  The outplayed the Lakers this game, played better defense, but could not execute at a high enough level on offense. They couldn't get the separation they needed to avoid the tie game at the end, not because of any great play by the Lakers but because Dwight couldn't make free throws.

They outplayed LA in the first half, LA outplayed them in the second. An 18-2 run to start the half and get them back in the game is outplaying your opponent Rick, can't you ever give LA credit for anything? This game wouldn't have been tied at the end if the officials weren't putting Orlando on the line every time LA breathed on them. That final play in regulation wasn't great? Ariza's 3's before that weren't great? If that was Orlando you would be saying I told you so, this team shoots GREAT from outside.

Crying about the refs in this series is ridiculous.  They have blown some calls, but for the most part have called it fair.  I didn't like what Petrius did, but Gasol got a technical too. Whinning little beyatches, both of them.  This is a problem with European players, they don't have the American concept of sportsmanship down. Gasol's dunk in that situation was inflamitory, but a much cleaner play than Petrius response.
This has to hurt more than the other wins, since they actually earned it.

I agree on the crying about the refs thing, but it doesn't change what happened last night so no, last night WAS NOT called fair, not even close. That's all, you "didn't like" what Peitrus did? That was one of the worst plays I've seen in years, Pau got his T for responding to the assault from behind not for his slam. Pau's dunk was not inflammatory and it was far more than just "cleaner", it was legitimate basketball, the EXACT same play Howard would have done on the other end if the situation was reversed, and you know it, and the crowd would have gone nuts, and you know it, and Jackson and Van Gundy would have called it a statement, and you know it.

How about saying, "hey, great comeback win for LA, they earned it", any credit? any credit at all?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:43:48 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 10:47:05 AM »

Lakers up 3-1 now with two wins coming in OT. The Magic should know that they're close, close enough that they could still take the series. Too bad, they blew Hedo's best game of the series.

Really Rick?  They are going to win 3 games in a row with 2 on the Lakers home floor remaining?  Has that ever happened in the history of the NBA finals? No.  The Lakers themselves have never lost 3 games in a row with Pau Gasol in a Lakers uniform. 

You know the series is done but just can't admit it because it is the Lakers.   It's  time to admit that your prediction was wrong.  The Magic are close in talent but are not close in execution or poise.  That is why the Orlando Magic have lost 2 OT games and the Lakers have won them.  Just because they match up talent wise does not mean they are close to taking over this series.  You do not get half a game in the win column for taking a team to OT twice.  It's 3 to 1 not 2-2, 3-1.5.

Like I said before the series there is a huge coaching gap between the two and often that makes a huge but never mentioned difference.  Same play, two coaches....Jackson decided to take it out in the back court to open up the floor, Van Gundy decides to tell his team not to foul.  Had Jackson picked to take it at half court that play doesn't happen.  If Van Gundy decides to foul at half court that play doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:51:25 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 11:22:05 AM »

The refs had A LOT to do with the last two games.  Howard is getting away with MURDER!  Howard did not get away with all those fouls against Philly, Boston, nor Cleveland.  He's clearly being protected by the refs in Orlando.  Howard has not been in foul trouble in 3 or the 4 games when he's been getting in to trouble consistently in this years playoffs.

The Magic did NOT out play the Lakers, especially in the 2nd half.  THREE of the Lakers big were in foul trouble in the FIRST quarter and the Magic could not pull away because the Lakers out played them short handed.  If a Magic player had hit that shot it WOULD have been a great play, your Laker hate is showing again rick.  If you lose a game you got out played rick, try to pull your head out of the sand.

It has not even been close to fair in Orlando.  You're and idiot if you think someone is not going to say something after getting two FISTS in their back, that was worse than the play on Kobe in the Denver series.  Even if Gasol did not leave his feet that is still a foul that is worthy of a FIGHT, let alone "whinning".  You're BLIND rick!

Hard to see Orlando come back from this one, a game they lost through poor play once they were up by 5 with a minute and a half left.  At the time I said, 2 more points and this game is over.  Orlando only managed one.  This has to hurt more than the other wins, since they actually earned it.

They were up by 5 WITH the ball and about 48 seconds left on the clock.  The Magic choked like the inferior team they are and the Lakers played like poised champions.  Deal with it!

Magic should know they are done in this series and that they are the inferior team.  The only way the Magic come back in this series if there are key injuries to the Lakers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »

Every game?  You're radar is as defective as ever Lurker. 

Looks like the "Team of the decade" title is heading to LA.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 12:36:09 PM »
That was the most one sided officiating I've seen since the Lakers/Kings!   

Howard was just manhandling Gasol.  He was allowed to shoulder block him, push him with his hands/arms.  It was ridiculous!  There was one play, can't remember exactly what point of the game, but I'll go back and re-watch tonight.  Anyway, Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Grungy were praising Howard for his energy and hustle and they kept airing the replay over and over where Howard was "establishing" position in the post and he literally fouled Gasol three or four times.  Pau looked like one of those inflatable punching bags with sand in the bottom you had as a kid where you punch it and it bounces right back at you ... it was hilarious.  Yet, no fouls called.  But touch fouls away from the ball on Gasol, Bynum, Odom ... tweet!  What is this Sacramento/Lakers?  16-0 free throws in the 4th quarter ... nice!  Where's JoMal?  I'm going to cry like a girl for the next decade about this one ... oh wait, the Lakers won.  Nothing short of impressive.  I can't give this team enough credit for fighting through the bs calls all night long and still taking this game.  It was an absolute clinic in mental toughness and intestinal fortitude.  I've given this squad a lot of heat for lack of focus, toughness, defense, etc., but they showed me last night that they've developed the grit and mental toughness they lacked in last seasons Finals.  Kudos to this team, but it's not over yet.  They have to come back and play even better and stay twice as focused on Sunday because clearly the fix is in from Lord Sternfish to keep this series going for a few more games. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »

I agree 100%.  Very cheap and definately should sit out the next game or two.  IMO worse than what Horry did to Nash.

:D  Love the ish talking!