Author Topic: What do the Spurs do with Manu?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What do the Spurs do with Manu?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »

IMO the Spurs need to wait & see how Manu is doing.  He was just rounding into top shape when his ankle went bad...and it is the opposite ankle from the injury during the olympics.  If he shows no pain and can perform at his normal controlled-manic level then you extend/re-sign him.  And until he proves that it will be hard to get value for him in trade. 

You extend him in hopes of getting a better player or do you ride him till its glue factory time?  Reason I ask is while the Spurs have a great core (duh) how many more years are they going to wait before they seriously take the steps to rebuild?  I don't see the Spurs getting in on the Summer of FAs next year deal.

The Spurs are well positioned for the Summer of 2010.  Only Tim & Tony are under contract.  Are you sure LBJ wouldn't possibly be interested in playing with a couple of true all stars?

As far as losing him for nothing...I really doubt that happens.  Next year is the Year of the Free Agent according to those in the know.  And while Manu is a top player he isn't in the James/Wade/Bosh group.  The Spurs will also hold his bird rights which will allow them to offer more money than anyone else.  Then there is the whole economic downturn and projected lower revenues which leads to lower salary cap.  If Manu proves he is back to health and seriously wants to leave SA; I would guess it will be done in a sign & trade.

I don't really know enough about him to say if he would bolt or not.  I am just kind of going off the attitude of players and agents who always tell players at this stage to get the paycheck since those dollars are not going to come back around after.

The Spurs might not want to offer him more money than anyone else as you know.  He could get a huge offer from someone trying their hardest to piece together a championship.  What if the Cavs owner went after him?  If you want a shooter who will actually shoot well the entire playoff run......

Cavs won't have the cap space if they re-sign James.  Will any true near contender (assuming Manu is the piece to put them over the top) have cap space?  Or only teams that are borderline lottery?  And the Spurs will still have his bird rights.

If he is fully recovered the Spurs can contend for the title.  At this point is any team going to offer replacement value?  I think not.  They will want "proof" his ankle is healed.  And if it healed then why would the Spurs trade him?

Also the whole age thing is overstated.  The Spurs have steadily replaced aging players with younger ones.  Barry & Horry leave; Mason (29); Hill (23); Gooden (28) come in.  Parker just turned 27.  They have a 22 year old big man (Mahinmi) that was injured last year but was a top player in the NDBL teh year before.  They have the rights to the best young big man in Europe (Tiago Splitter) who with the economic downturn might think the US is better now.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What do the Spurs do with Manu?
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 03:30:58 PM »
Lurker they could shed contracts to make space for him if they really wanted....

Ben Wallace is going into retirement and either way his 14 million dollar contract is up at the end of the next season.  That will free up space.  They also could easily shed Z if they wanted (his contract is up in 2010).  Wally's contract is also up as well.  Plenty of teams have been going after him for that reason.    They have PLENTY of options and would have space.  Even with out getting rid of guys like Mo Williams, Delonte West, and Vallejo.  Wally, Z, and Wallace were DUDS in the Orlando series.

IF he is fully recovered and IF the Spurs can compete for a title as two big Ifs to go off of.  I am merely suggesting an alternative.

As far as the Spurs rebuilding, adding young players is one thing, building a championship team out of them is another.   They haven't really replaced Bowen (at least fully) Duncan (not that they will but somewhere anywhere in the same ball park as him) or Manu.  Thankfully Parker is still very young.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com