Author Topic: Music q.  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Music q.
« on: June 08, 2009, 05:54:59 PM »
Social Distortions "I Was Wrong" sure seems to have been borrowed from heavily by the current song "Lifeline", which is by i believe PapaRoach.

I don't mind, i really like a lot of the stuff on on Lifeline.

Just wondering, anyone else hear some of the similarities?
Ro Blackman where are you?

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Music q.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »
I had never heard the Papa Roach song, but just youtubed it and listened.  I grew up with Social D. and am a fan, but was not a huge fan of the I Was Wrong record. 

I didn't find that much of a similarity.  I think they start on the same chord, but the progression is different albiet slightly.  Plus the Papa Roach lead guitar player riffs those lines over it, which adds a different melodic flavor to it. 

You know Mike Ness's voice as soon as you here it, it's unique and is Social D's identity.  The Papa Roach singer, not so much.  I guess the similarity would be that sort of reflective, lyrical content where you say, "when I was a boy, blah, blah, blah".  Pretty cliche, IMO. 

What are you doing listening to Papa Roach, Reality?  Did you lose a bet ;)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:02:52 AM »
I meant they are similiar, not exact.  I like the riff the lead added for Lifeline.  Gotta be three guitars going during parts of the song tho.  Lots of bands do that, i'm just saying.
The lyrics of Lifeline I'll take anything positive in this day and age.  Also just saw the video, i guess he was going to bail on wife and kid, came back.  So that is a huge positive stoke too.  Too much bailing going on nowadays.

As to me listening, well I'm just ageless young and hip, right?  ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:30:44 AM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »
I had never heard the Papa Roach song, but just youtubed it and listened.  I grew up with Social D. and am a fan, but was not a huge fan of the I Was Wrong record. 

I didn't find that much of a similarity.  I think they start on the same chord, but the progression is different albiet slightly.  Plus the Papa Roach lead guitar player riffs those lines over it, which adds a different melodic flavor to it. 

You know Mike Ness's voice as soon as you here it, it's unique and is Social D's identity.  The Papa Roach singer, not so much.  I guess the similarity would be that sort of reflective, lyrical content where you say, "when I was a boy, blah, blah, blah".  Pretty cliche, IMO. 

Nothing wrong with Papa Roach, got some good songs under his belt.  not a huge fan but got some albums of his, good rock music IMO.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »

Nothing wrong with Papa Roach, got some good songs under his belt.  not a huge fan but got some albums of his, good rock music IMO.

Can't agree my friend.  Not a fan of Papa Roach.    Social D is classic music, Papa Roach not so much.  I agree with msc.

I get the 'young' guy card pulled on me a lot here but I had a JoMal/old guy moment the other day.  My younger cousin was trying to talk to me about new rock bands.  My first thought was 'When I was around your age  we had bands like Dead Kennedys, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, Rage Against The Machine...' then I stopped.  I realized I almost used the certified old fart phrase  'When I was your age' followed by a rant of what was 'cool' in my day.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:12:17 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 02:20:46 AM »
I was not debating the Social D issue.  I was stating PR is good.  nothing wrong with his music as far as "rock" goes.  Not stating he is epic or anything like that.  Like I said, not a big fan, but I do have some music and do like some of his songs.  again, there i nothing wrong with Papa Roach's music.  Hell I don't even go looking for it on a regular basis in my music, but from every so often I will listen to a track or two.  Guess depends on the kind of mood I am in to be honest.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »
Hey guys, I was mainly just razzing Reality.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of Papa Roach.  I actually like some of their guitar riffs like that one on their first big hit the whole "Cut my life in to pieces, this is my last resort" ... that one. 

That said, I respect all kinds of artists and music.  As a wanna-be musician myself I know how hard it is to create good art and I have respect for anyone that does it.  Art is completely subjective so I'll never say "that's bad", or "they suck", it all comes down to personal preference.  If someone likes it, then it's valid.  That's all that matters.  I didn't want to start a whole debate on the quality of Papa Roach's music.  Rock on!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 10:04:08 AM »
I was not debating the Social D issue.  I was stating PR is good.  nothing wrong with his music as far as "rock" goes.  Not stating he is epic or anything like that.  Like I said, not a big fan, but I do have some music and do like some of his songs.  again, there i nothing wrong with Papa Roach's music.  Hell I don't even go looking for it on a regular basis in my music, but from every so often I will listen to a track or two.  Guess depends on the kind of mood I am in to be honest.

MAMA SAID PAPA ROACH IS THE DEVIL!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »

MAMA SAID PAPA ROACH IS THE DEVIL!

SHE SHOWED ME HER BOOBIES !  Oh wait, Papa Roach...no, no boobies,  nevermind.   ;) :D

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »
On the oldies but goodies rockin front, altho the following song gets "old" only because one may have heard it so many times, I myself had not heard it for a year or two until channel surfing the other day.
You've Got Another Thing Coming by Priest.

Is that not one of the best all time rockin songs?
Superb.