Author Topic: Report: Celtics shopping Allen, Rondo  (Read 2760 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Report: Celtics shopping Allen, Rondo
« on: June 05, 2009, 07:54:38 PM »
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/105331-report-celtics-shopping-allen-rondo

Off the record, we have several sources telling us that Ray Allen is, indeed, on the block. It's easy to make the leap, as the Celtics have managed to develop some nice young talent around their Big Three while also managing to win a championship. They might have even repeated had Kevin Garnett been healthy. It's not a stretch to say the Celtics would part with Allen, who has an ending contract next season, if they could add another top young player to the mix. On the record we have an added wrinkle - one that we thought to be highly unlikely until we found it reported with a quote attributed to Celtics GM Danny Ainge. It seems the Celtics are willing to package Rajon Rondo with Allen to make the right deal happen.

Does anybody buy the notion that the Celtics are prepared to move Allen and Rondo?  I just don't buy it.  I will say this, I would swap anybody off our roster except Roy, Aldridge, and Oden for these two.  For instance Rudy Fernandez, Jerryd Bayless, Travis Outlaw (or Batum or Webster if they prefer), and our #1 Pick for those two.  Not that it makes that much difference, but I would also throw in Channing Frye and Sergio Rodriguez as well.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Report: Celtics shopping Allen, Rondo
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »
You don't weaken your team and waste Kevin Garnett.  You only trade Ray Allen if you can improve another position of need just as much IMO.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:15:54 PM »
The RealSpurs will do Bruce Bowen and Tony Parker.  Final offer.

This has to be a rumor....one comment, one question

- Kevin Garnett JUST had a meeting with the owner in which he said that they would repeat in the next two seasons.  How would that be possible if they are going to remove 2 key players from their last championship?

-  Has Ray Allen's stock dropped that much in their eyes (or to the league in general) that they would have to put Rondo in on that trade to make people bite?

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:24:31 PM »
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/105331-report-celtics-shopping-allen-rondo

Off the record, we have several sources telling us that Ray Allen is, indeed, on the block. It's easy to make the leap, as the Celtics have managed to develop some nice young talent around their Big Three while also managing to win a championship. They might have even repeated had Kevin Garnett been healthy. It's not a stretch to say the Celtics would part with Allen, who has an ending contract next season, if they could add another top young player to the mix. On the record we have an added wrinkle - one that we thought to be highly unlikely until we found it reported with a quote attributed to Celtics GM Danny Ainge. It seems the Celtics are willing to package Rajon Rondo with Allen to make the right deal happen.

Does anybody buy the notion that the Celtics are prepared to move Allen and Rondo?  I just don't buy it.  I will say this, I would swap anybody off our roster except Roy, Aldridge, and Oden for these two.  For instance Rudy Fernandez, Jerryd Bayless, Travis Outlaw (or Batum or Webster if they prefer), and our #1 Pick for those two.  Not that it makes that much difference, but I would also throw in Channing Frye and Sergio Rodriguez as well.

Wow, posters on that board are such homers.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 07:08:23 AM »
No way that Rondo is going anywhere, unless it's bringing them a top-five type NBA player.

The question here is if they're looking to deal Rondo and Allen for Dwyane Wade.  That could be seen as a step up by Boston, and if Miami is not convinced they can keep Wade, then they might do the deal as well.  And Wade/Pierce/Garnett make an awfully nice core to build from.

However, if I'm Boston, there's no way I'm dealing either Rondo *OR* Ray Allen.  Tony Allen - sure - I could use a nice breakfast sandwich.  Not Ray Allen.

I think a lot of people overlook the value of a pure shooter like Allen.  Sure, he's getting up there in years, but that shooting form of his isn't going to degrade just because of a couple of years, so I can actually see Allen re-defining himself as a player and actually having an extended career because of it.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 06:15:02 PM »
No way that Rondo is going anywhere, unless it's bringing them a top-five type NBA player.

The question here is if they're looking to deal Rondo and Allen for Dwyane Wade.  That could be seen as a step up by Boston, and if Miami is not convinced they can keep Wade, then they might do the deal as well.  And Wade/Pierce/Garnett make an awfully nice core to build from.

However, if I'm Boston, there's no way I'm dealing either Rondo *OR* Ray Allen.  Tony Allen - sure - I could use a nice breakfast sandwich.  Not Ray Allen.

I think a lot of people overlook the value of a pure shooter like Allen.  Sure, he's getting up there in years, but that shooting form of his isn't going to degrade just because of a couple of years, so I can actually see Allen re-defining himself as a player and actually having an extended career because of it.

IMO Allen's jumpshot is going to go quickly.  He's not a stand still shooter like say an Ariza, he needs lift to get his shot off and on target.  That will go quickly unless he changes the way he shoots.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:21:50 AM »

IMO Allen's jumpshot is going to go quickly.  He's not a stand still shooter like say an Ariza, he needs lift to get his shot off and on target.  That will go quickly unless he changes the way he shoots.

Disagree.  Ray Allen's form is much better than MOST players in this league.  Much nicer than Trevor Ariza's jumper.  He doesn't need a bunch of lift as long as he learns to adjust his game.  His real strength as a shooter, his quick release, is something that will fade as his loses his quickness.   The guy will still knock down shots as long as he's wide open for a the next few years. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 12:56:46 AM »

Disagree.  Ray Allen's form is much better than MOST players in this league.  Much nicer than Trevor Ariza's jumper.  He doesn't need a bunch of lift as long as he learns to adjust his game.  His real strength as a shooter, his quick release, is something that will fade as his loses his quickness.   The guy will still knock down shots as long as he's wide open for a the next few years. 

Disagree with what?  You just posted the same thing I did, he's going to have to change his shot and NOT rely on his lift, he needs to become a stand still shooter like Ariza/Hedo.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »
IMO if Allen wants to become a situation shooter like Kerr at the end of his career then he could do it.  If he wants to be a starting SG...let's just say there are 2 ends to the floor.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 10:31:57 AM »

Disagree with what?  You just posted the same thing I did, he's going to have to change his shot and NOT rely on his lift, he needs to become a stand still shooter like Ariza/Hedo.

No I didn't.  You said that he is not a stand still shooter and he needs lift to be able to get his shot off.

I am saying he CAN and will become a solid stand still shooter because his form is still very good.  That makes him a consistent shooter.  Not his 'lift'. 

Of all stand still shooters you bring up Ariza?  And Hedo isn't really a 'stand still' shooter.  He is at his best when he does that cross over step back move.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:34:55 AM »

No I didn't.  You said that he is not a stand still shooter and he needs lift to be able to get his shot off.

I am saying he CAN and will become a solid stand still shooter because his form is still very good.  That makes him a consistent shooter.  Not his 'lift'. 

Of all stand still shooters you bring up Ariza?  And Hedo isn't really a 'stand still' shooter.  He is at his best when he does that cross over step back move.

Bleeding Christ!  That's exactly what I'm saying, he needs to become a stand still shooter because his "lift" is going to go very quickly!  Ariza is the only guy I could think of off the top of my head.  Bird, Magic, and Cooper come to mind as well.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:11:56 PM »

Bleeding Christ!  That's exactly what I'm saying, he needs to become a stand still shooter because his "lift" is going to go very quickly!  Ariza is the only guy I could think of off the top of my head.  Bird, Magic, and Cooper come to mind as well.

No it's not.  Did you see what you bolded?  'Changes the way he shoots' ?  He shoots just fine.  Changing the way he shoots would imply working on his form.  What needs to change is how plays are ran for him moreso than him having to change anything on his own.  You know what that requires?  A point guard who can penetrate and dish out.  Something Rondo does do (just to bring this thread back on course here)

And a MUCH better homer example would have been Glen Rice who had a nice jumper ala Ray Allen as well but had to fit a different role after his knee injuries.  The Lakers ran plays to get him stand still jump shots. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »
And a MUCH better homer example would have been Glen Rice who had a nice jumper ala Ray Allen as well but had to fit a different role after his knee injuries.  The Lakers ran plays to get him stand still jump shots. 

So going from a jump shooter to a stand still jump shooter is not changing the way you shoot?  Whatever, I'm done.  ::)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 12:18:59 PM »

So going from a jump shooter to a stand still jump shooter is not changing the way you shoot?  Whatever, I'm done.  ::)

Because Ray Allen has never shot a stand still jumper before?  :D

Again, it's how the plays are ran for Allen moreso than him changing anything himself.   His game is not solely based around creating his own shot.

Trevor Ariza had to change the way he was shooting to become a stand still shooter.  Ray Allen is one of the greatest shooters of all time.  What really does he have to change?  Hmm...NOT having plays where he has to run off screens to get open?  Maybe having more drive and kick type plays set for him ala Bruce Bowen?  Explain to PP he doesn't need to be a black hole with the ball and can create for Ray Allen as well?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:21:19 PM by westkoast »