Author Topic: A little research for RealSpurs  (Read 4071 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
A little research for RealSpurs
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:29:07 PM »
This is for those RealSpurs that will own me (when I am 6 feet under).  I thinking that maybe reading the local SA newspaper might be helpful.  Bolding is mine...

Web Posted: 03/11/2009 12:00 CDT

Mason feeling good about backup point role

By Mike Monroe - Express-News

Eight days into his new-but-old dual role as the Spurs' starting big guard and backup point guard, Roger Mason Jr. has rediscovered the joy of running an offense.

Mason on Tuesday night had his most productive game of the five he has played since Spurs coach Gregg Popovich decided to have him back up Tony Parker instead of rookie George Hill.

Mason's 21 points in the Spurs' 100-86 victory over Charlotte at the AT&T Center matched Parker for game-high honors, and Mason added five assists, most of them while he was running the team while Parker got 12 minutes of bench rest. Mason made 5-of-8 on 3-point shots, running his team-high season total to 135.

In one short stretch of the second quarter, Mason made four shots on four Spurs possessions, closing it out with a 3-pointer that gave him nine points in 1:52.

?I got some good looks; some great screens from Kurt Thomas,? Mason said. ?I felt good out there.?

Popovich likes how the change is working, both for Mason and for Hill. Mason, he said, looks more comfortable at the point with each game.

?He enjoys splitting his time on the wing and the point,? Popovich said, ?and he does a good job.?

Mason runs his pick-and-roll sets most often with Thomas as his post man and screen setter, but he is making plays that work for himself and his teammates.

and

Web Posted: 04/03/2009 12:00 CDT
Spurs rookie returns home to face Pacers

By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

An off-guard in college, Hill struggled to morph into an NBA point guard. He seemed to thrive after Spurs coach Gregg Popovich moved him to backup shooting guard

and

Web Posted: 04/15/2009 12:00 CDT
Mason's scoring up with Ginobili down.

By Jeff McDonald - Express-News

With Ginobili shelved, Mason has assumed the role as the scoring anchor of the Spurs' second unit. He typically moves to point guard when working with the second team, which gives him bushels of scoring opportunities in the pick-and-roll.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich calls Mason ?a savior for us.?

?He's definitely a scoring point, without a doubt,? Popovich said. ?The time he's at the point, that's where the ball is going to go.?

Said Mason: ?It definitely pulls my aggressiveness level up.?

Ginobili's season-ending injury, however, also scrapped one of Popovich's plans for the playoffs. He had hoped to use Ginobili as the de facto point guard with the second unit, with Mason on the wing.
?It would have been great to have them both out there at the same time,? Popovich said. ?We could have called Manu's number, and had Roger out there for him to throw the ball to. Now, the offense just goes back to Roger.?

Just to explain the forest in case the tree gets in the way...Pop planned on a 3 guard rotation for the playoffs: Parker/Mason/Manu.  Hill wasn't in the mix.  Even the rookie understands but RealSpurs don't...

Web Posted: 04/17/2009 12:00 CDT
Rookie Hill will take back seat in playoffs

By Mike Monroe - Express-News

George Hill's designer jeans hung neatly in his locker stall, but when the Spurs rookie attempted to loose them from the hanger after Wednesday's regular-season finale, the hem of one pant leg wedged in a corner of the hanger and wouldn't budge.

Finally, Hill gave a mighty tug, and the jeans were freed, but the fashion-conscious rookie had to check the seams to make sure the pull hadn't loosened a few threads.

It had been that sort of April for a player who began the season thrust into a much bigger role than anyone imagined. After averaging 26.4 minutes in the nine games Tony Parker missed after spraining his left ankle in the fourth game of the season, Hill played only 48 minutes in eight games in April.

Seventeen of those came in Monday's blowout of the Golden State Warriors.

Before that game in Oakland, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich made it clear Hill would get only spot duty during the playoffs, saying ?this playoff probably isn't for him.?

Hill said Popovich's pronouncement was neither disappointing nor surprising.

?That's what team is all about,? he said. ?You might have to sacrifice like that. Maybe some people weren't playing then that are playing now. You have to do what the coach asks you to do, and do it the best you can. That's all I can do, and that's what I'm going to do.?

Drafted for his potential as a lock-down perimeter defender and his steady demeanor, Hill understands he is apt to get playing time during the playoffs when particular defensive needs arise. He logged three minutes and 29 seconds in Wednesday's vital season-ender.

?I'm going to keep myself ready for everything,? he said. ?You never know when you're going to get thrown into the fire.?

I can wait 4 days for you to get back with rebuttals RealSpurs fan.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: A little research for RealSpurs
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »
This post was being "printed" by a "Guest".

Prepare to be OWNED Lurker!!!  :D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »
I am confused.....

Wouldn't you want Roger Mason Jr in the pick and roll before George Hill if he is by far the better shooter?  That is assuming their passing ability to equal.

The only thing I can see someone disagreeing with Hill's role as backing up shooting guard is he is a small guy.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 01:03:07 PM »
I am confused.....

Wouldn't you want Roger Mason Jr in the pick and roll before George Hill if he is by far the better shooter?  That is assuming their passing ability to equal.

The only thing I can see someone disagreeing with Hill's role as backing up shooting guard is he is a small guy.

Mason is better off the catch & shoot as opposed to creating.  Hill is a slightly better ball handler but the "decision-making" process at the NBA level is tough for any rookie to learn.  Pop basically demoted Hill to 3rd string going into the playoffs...not really a big deal for a rookie on a playoff team.  I think Pop still views Hill as the backup pg and will see how he worked and developed over the summer.  Hill also has a freakishly long wing span which allows him to play bigger on defense than his listed height.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 01:49:01 PM »
Quote from: Lurker link=topic=5653.msg62696#

msg62696 date=1244143747
This is for those RealSpurs that will own me (when I am 6 feet under).  I thinking that maybe reading the local SA newspaper might be helpful.  Bolding is mine...

Just to explain the forest in case the tree gets in the way...Pop planned on a 3 guard rotation for the playoffs: Parker/Mason/Manu.  Hill wasn't in the mix.  Even the rookie understands but RealSpurs don't...
This is almost as lame as weaksause' attempt to diss you about Shaqs 2006 playoffs play with a 2005 article.  :D  But you'll always have W.O.W. and westkoasts support.

We RealSpurs laugh at the EN.  You use it as bible.  :D :-\

"After their first-round playoff loss to Dallas, coach Gregg Popovich said he wished he would have played Hill more. He promised to do so next season."
http://www.indy.com/posts/60026

I'll be back to expose your uber lame attempt to justify Mason at the backup point and GHill being left out of the late season and playoffs.  Well, Poop already answered the Hill part for you.  I'll expound. 
But you are right.  Since Laker Winnin Juice profits has me virtually retired what with you, weaksause, WOWboi and Laker Dunce Dan on "pipeline" volume sales, i now spend June and parts of July out of state on a new money making adventure.  Owning you will still be done, but its not priority.  Be patient, i know you will.  ;)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 02:14:30 PM »
Quote from: Lurker link=topic=5653.msg62696#

msg62696 date=1244143747

This is almost as lame as weaksause' attempt to diss you about Shaqs 2006 playoffs play with a 2005 article.  :D  But you'll always have W.O.W. and westkoasts support.

We RealSpurs laugh at the EN.  You use it as bible.  :D :-\

"After their first-round playoff loss to Dallas, coach Gregg Popovich said he wished he would have played Hill more. He promised to do so next season."
http://www.indy.com/posts/60026

I'll be back to expose your uber lame attempt to justify Mason at the backup point and GHill being left out of the late season and playoffs.  Well, Poop already answered the Hill part for you.  I'll expound. 
But you are right.  Since Laker Winnin Juice profits has me virtually retired what with you, weaksause, WOWboi and Laker Dunce Dan on "pipeline" volume sales, i now spend June and parts of July out of state on a new money making adventure.  Owning you will still be done, but its not priority.  Be patient, i know you will.  ;)

So instead you quote a paper from Hill's hometown that doesn't even use a direct quote from Pop.  I'm sure they have lots more insight than the local sportswriters.   ::)

I know I will regret not just ignoring your lame attempts...

From the same article...
Popovich said Hill will be part of the primary rotation next season.

?He?s somebody that?s going to be important to the Spurs both at the point guard and the off guard,? Popovich said. ?Obviously the pick-and-roll is big in the league and he?s learning that offensively and defensively, but he?s a fantastic defender. That?s his major skill. He?s learning to shoot the 3, and he?s going to get better as he gets more experience.?

He is still in learning mode like MOST rookies and sophomores in the NBA.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 02:43:13 PM »
So instead you quote a paper from Hill's hometown that doesn't even use a direct quote from Pop.  I'm sure they have lots more insight than the local sportswriters.   ::)
Very true, as all RealSpurs know.  The EN is mostly nothing more then a Spurs-Pop suck up piece, refusing to question Popped about his benching of Hill after the fine job Hill did when Parker was out and continuing.  (Oh i will post the stats, along with the Spurs record after Popped installed Mason at backup point and benched Hill.)
So for an out of town media to get it right, in this case Hills hometown college news, great.  Its not a negative at all no matter how you try to spin it.

I know I will regret not just ignoring your lame attempts...
I'm sure you will.  ::)  Props for not going into some fake HyperSkirt mode like the Laker pansies.  Altho they keep trying so hard to respond to me. :D

From the same article...Popovich said Hill will be part of the primary rotation next season
clap clap clap.  Still doesn't address his benching of Hill for the 1st 3 playoff games but it is progress for Poop to admit the benching was a mistake.

He is still in learning mode like MOST rookies and sophomores in the NBA.
The earth is round, so is the moon.  Is there some point you are attempting to make?  Trying to justify Poops idiotic benching because Hill was a rookie?  Lame!  On the RealSpurs board we had a whole thread about Poops failure to develop backup points and rookies.  And many, dare i say most of the posters support Pop as you do.  Well not that blindly but....your doing some spin that they were all PopHaters and then runnin over to weaksause n WOW wont cut it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:47:54 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 02:57:47 PM »
Mason is better off the catch & shoot as opposed to creating.  Hill is a slightly better ball handler but the "decision-making" process at the NBA level is tough for any rookie to learn.  Pop basically demoted Hill to 3rd string going into the playoffs...not really a big deal for a rookie on a playoff team.  I think Pop still views Hill as the backup pg and will see how he worked and developed over the summer.  Hill also has a freakishly long wing span which allows him to play bigger on defense than his listed height.

Did Mase drop off towards the end of the regular season and in the playoffs?  I remember him being a key player down the stretch in early-mid season, I clearly remember he killed the Lakers, but I don't recall him having much of an impact later in the year.  Seemed like Findawg was prefered but I didn't catch too many Spurs games to be certain.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 03:16:33 PM »

Did Mase drop off towards the end of the regular season and in the playoffs?  I remember him being a key player down the stretch in early-mid season, I clearly remember he killed the Lakers, but I don't recall him having much of an impact later in the year.  Seemed like Findawg was prefered but I didn't catch too many Spurs games to be certain.

His shooting % dropped off starting in Jan.  But then his role also changed as he was asked to play more backup pg.  I also think that after hitting some big game winners that opposing teams realized he wasn't one to leave open for a last second shot.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 03:18:56 PM »
Trying to justify Poops idiotic benching because Hill was a rookie?  Lame!  On the RealSpurs board we had a whole thread about Poops failure to develop backup points and rookies.  And many, dare i say most of the posters support Pop as you do. 

How did they ever let you post on that board?  It sounds like there may be some knowledgable posters there.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 03:29:34 PM »
From the same article...Popovich said Hill will be part of the primary rotation next season
clap clap clap.  Still doesn't address his benching of Hill for the 1st 3 playoff games but it is progress for Poop to admit the benching was a mistake.

Still waiting for a direct quote on that "benching was a mistake" comment by Pop.  Or maybe it was just some hometown reporter sucking up to Hill's friends and relatives by writing what he thought Pop said.

Or maybe you could figure out what these stats are and how it impacted Pop's decision.

.415   .414   .373   .385   .417

In case you made it this far...those are Hill's shooting % by month with March/April combined.

-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 04:31:24 PM »
How did this debate start?

Seriously Pop's decisions have been questioned every single season since 2002 and yet they've managed to stack rings.  Could he MAYBE get the benefit of the doubt jeez
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 04:42:47 PM »
Could he MAYBE get the benefit of the doubt jeez

Not from the brain damaged.  :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »
How did this debate start?

Seriously Pop's decisions have been questioned every single season since 2002 and yet they've managed to stack rings.  Could he MAYBE get the benefit of the doubt jeez

Go back a few posts and I quoted Reality's lame attempt at discrediting me with an article from Hill's hometown paper.  When I went to the article there is only 1 direct quote from Pop which I used later.  Then there is some nonsense where Pop told someone that he should have used Hill more in the playoffs.  No quote.  No support.

He also said he would post RealStats that support Hill's outstanding play in the 6 games Parker missed.  Like those 6 games will trump the other 76 played.  Of course about the only positive stat for Hill was that the Spurs went 4-2.  But then that stretch included the Knicks, Kings and Clippers.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 08:52:52 AM »
Mason on Tuesday night had his most productive game of the five he has played since Spurs coach Gregg Popovich decided to have him back up Tony Parker instead of rookie George Hill.

Mason's 21 points in the Spurs' 100-86 victory over Charlotte at the AT&T Center matched Parker for game-high honors, and Mason added five assists, most of them while he was running the team while Parker got 12 minutes of bench rest. Mason made 5-of-8 on 3-point shots, running his team-high season total to 135. 
Nice attempt (again) at cherry picking a stat.

1.  This is nice since Tony Parker played 36 minutes and Mase 34.  They were in the game at the same time for at least 20 minutes, i think your accountant gals can do the math on that.  Are you trying to spin that Parker played SG while Mason pointed? 

Maybe you can get westkoast to find you a 2005 article to explain your way out of this one.