Author Topic: Researchers' NBA officiating study detects biases, but not necessarily the ones  (Read 991 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Researchers' NBA officiating study detects biases, but not necessarily the ones fans suspect

http://www.oregonlive.com/nba/index.ssf/2009/06/professors_nba_officating_stud.html
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Researchers' NBA officiating study detects biases, but not necessarily the ones fans suspect

http://www.oregonlive.com/nba/index.ssf/2009/06/professors_nba_officating_stud.html

I've read stories about "charting the refs".  The most detailed articles I've read come from gambling websits, i.e. Sports Books.  They break down a lot of trends like the types of fouls refs like to call and how it impacts the players on the teams they ref, the other interesting trend is how the refs handle the calls for home teams.  Some refs have a tendency to become "home court" refs, other seem to revel in antogonizing the home team fans in sense, others interperate that trend as being unaffected by the home crowd.  Obviously those articles are the most unbiased analysis cause they are doing the work to protect their money, no homerism involved what so ever.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
"Stone and Remer recruited help from Joseph Price, an assistant professor of economics at Brigham Young University who co-authored a study publicized in 2007 that found that NBA officials tend to favor players of their own ethnic backgrounds."

I KNEW it!!! Racism!!!!!  That's why there are little to no Mexicans in the NBA.  It has nothing to do with our height or beer bellys!!!!

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"