Author Topic: What is your guys take on Lebron's 'reason' for not shaking hands / talking  (Read 8660 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
We just had a discussion on Kobe/Melo/Lebron's attitudes and arrogance a few days ago and this happens to continue on the debate....

I am sure everyone knows by now that Lebron James stormed off after the game ended with out congratulating the other team or talking to the media.  When asked why he did that Lebron James stated that because he's a winner he doesn't feel the need to shake the hand of people that beat him.  To me that is a bigger display of arrogance and poor sportsmanship than I've seen from any basketball player in a while.

What is your guys take on what Lebron did and said about it afterward? 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
I forgot to post about this topic yesterday.  Obviously it's poor sportsmanship, even after a pounding the Finals last year Kobe took the time to talk to the media and congratulate the Celtics.  I understand how painful it must be for LeBron to lose in the EC Finals when all indications pointed towards a championship, he did everything you could ask of the guy and he still lost.

Still, that was a very bad decision on LeBron's part.  I don't know who said it or where I read it but something to the effect of "you learn more about the character of a player when he looses rather than when he wins".  It will be quickly forgotten and probably not brought up again until LeBron steps back on to the court.  The problem for LeBron is that the Magic will be better next year and they will probably be much better if they are healthy.  The Celtics will probably be better as well with a healthy KG.  IMO the Cavs will probably be 3rd best in the EC if they don't add some youth and athleticism in the front court.  Wallace will probably retire, as should Joe Smith, and Big Z looked pretty helpless against Howard.  The Cavs matchup better with the Celtics so they might be 2nd best in the EC but IMO LeBron is going to have to fight an uphill battle next year.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:19:12 AM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
IMO, the loss put  him in a bad mood, and he knew that it would be more hurtful to his image to say anything under those conditions.  Not congratulating the Magic is pretty classless.  

But what could he say to the media by way of explanation? Throw his coach and teamates under the bus? Probably better to say nothing and be criticized for that.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
IMO, the loss put  him in a bad mood, and he knew that it would be more hurtful to his image to say anything under those conditions.  Not congratulating the Magic is pretty classless.  

But what could he say to the media by way of explanation? Throw his coach and teamates under the bus? Probably better to say nothing and be criticized for that.

There are many things he could have said/done and show some class.  LeBron showed no class and no sportsmanship.  Casts LeBron's whole season in a "front runner" light.  I'm sure LeBron's image people will work on fixing that situation but there is no excuse for his actions, not even the excuses you gave.  Looks like LeBron still needs to learn a thing or two from Kobe.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

I don't have a problem with him not talking to the media since all the answers would be typical run-of-the-mill responses.  You would get the "They are a great team" "We will be back next year" "I am proud of my guys" type answers.  So really I don't see that as much to talk about.  The not congratulating the Magic was real bad in my eyes.  The 'justification' for it was even worse.  Saying he doesn't feel the need to shake hands because he's a 'winner' and shouldn't have to show respect to guys who just 'beat them up' took it to the next level in my eyes. He said 'when someone beats you up you don't go over and shake their hand after the fight do you'  Well, in UFC they do!  Why?  Because it shows respect for the other fighter really showcasing their skill. A winner knows he is going to win again so a loss here and there is nothing more than motivation.  A WHINER is someone who gets upset when they don't get their way.    It's not too much to ask him to be a grown man, suck up those emotions, and shake hands with the other team.

Rick, this further proves my point that Kobe, Melo, and Lebron are all cut from the same arrogant cloth. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:39:20 AM by westkoast »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Not congratulating your competition is a very weak, classless move on Lebron's part.  It bothered me a little bit at the time when I saw him storm off and not go over to congratulate the Orlando players and staff.  

Then when I read his comments yesterday, it made it worse ...

"It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," he said. "I'm a winner. It's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm a competitor. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand."

No Lebron, it IS being a poor sport.  You see that is what competition is all about.  Leaving it all on the floor (like you did) and if you come up short, as hard as it is, as much as it stings, you go over to the winner, extend the hand and say "good job", "good luck in the next round".  For all the love the King James gets for his stellar, loveable, personality, this opinion of his quoted above is a character flaw.  

Now, normally, bailing on the press conference would be no biggie to me either.  Sure, take the fine from the league and don't worry about it.  For a J.R. Smith, or even a Carmelo Anthony this would be no big deal to me.  HOWEVER, Lebron wants to be a brand, a franchise if you will.  And not just any brand, or franchise, but the largest, most successful brand in all of sports.  He's made it abundantly clear that he is not just a basketball player, but he wants to be the biggest brand and viewed as a complete business man.  He's had dinner with Warren Buffett and postured himself in this manner almost since he came in to the league.  If that's how you want people to look at you, King James, then you have to be a true man and stand in the spotlight and address the media in the tough times as well.  You can't have it both ways and right now, you look like that crybaby kid on the play ground that's taking his ball and going home because he got beat fair and square.  

WOW is right on that his image people will have to get all over this as it does not bode well for his business plan as a the world's biggest brand name.  

I didn't think there was much of a chance that Lebron would leave Cleveland as a free agent.  After this, I'd guess he's out of there.  

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email

I don't have a problem with him not talking to the media since all the answers would be typical run-of-the-mill responses.  You would get the "They are a great team" "We will be back next year" "I am proud of my guys" type answers.  So really I don't see that as much to talk about.  The not congratulating the Magic was real bad in my eyes.  The 'justification' for it was even worse.  Saying he doesn't feel the need to shake hands because he's a 'winner' and shouldn't have to show respect to guys who just 'beat them up' took it to the next level in my eyes. He said 'when someone beats you up you don't go over and shake their hand after the fight do you'  Well, in UFC they do!  Why?  Because it shows respect for the other fighter really showcasing their skill. A winner knows he is going to win again so a loss here and there is nothing more than motivation.  A WHINER is someone who gets upset when they don't get their way.    It's not too much to ask him to be a grown man, suck up those emotions, and shake hands with the other team.

Rick, this further proves my point that Kobe, Melo, and Lebron are all cut from the same arrogant cloth. 

Yep, it looks like you see this right.  But Kobe is a lot better at this than LeBron.  You have to consider the age of the player too. Kobe's been around the block a lot longer than Melo or LeBron. So have most of the posters here. Emotional maturity takes time and experience.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

Yep, it looks like you see this right.  But Kobe is a lot better at this than LeBron.  You have to consider the age of the player too. Kobe's been around the block a lot longer than Melo or LeBron. So have most of the posters here. Emotional maturity takes time and experience.

Good point!  I think Lebron will realize it's a bad move.  If not...ESPN is having a field day playing this over and over and over and he'll figure it out then.

Offline Welfare Fraud

• View Profile
He's young and arrogant. I wouldn't call that a character flaw, I'd call that normal especially for someone that gets so much praise (that started in high school!) and lives up to it for the most part. If he wasn't arrogant he would be an anomaly, which is sad but true.

What good is a handshake if the person shaking your hand is really thinking "I'm better than this scrub" anyway? I doubt the Magic even care, if anything they probably take some kind of enjoyment out of it.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Welfare Fraud just hit the nail on the head:  "What good is a handshake if the person shaking your hand is really thinking 'I'm better than this scrub' anyway?"

And that *ATTITUDE* is the problem.  Basketball is a *TEAM* sport, and even if you're the best player on the court, that isn't enough.  You've got to have the right perspective of yourself.  If you don't have that, you'll never achieve everything you could have.

My team has an expression:  "Sportsmanship puts *REAL* *POINTS* on the scoreboard."  Let's say LeBron and the Cavs go up against the Lakers in the Finals next year.  That handshake from LeBron and the honest respect shown to a Mickeal Pietrus or a Courtney Lee is the difference between him getting a call from those guys saying, "Kobe's got a hitch in his dribble when he spins counter-clockwise;  you might be able to take advantage of that" and KOBE getting a call from those guys saying, "LeBron has more trouble if you force him right than left."  Sportsmanship - REAL SPORTSMANSHIP - puts you in the place of getting the advantage of someone else's observation...learning from their experience.  You see, a *REAL* competitor doesn't stop competing just because he lost.  A real competitor is looking for his next advantage.

And if LeBron wants the idea that even though he lost, he's still a "winner," someone needs to remind him that if that's the case, he should be the *FIRST* one over on the sidelines congratulating people, because that's one of the JOBS of the "winner."  The fact that he DIDN'T do his job as the "winner" proves conclusively that he WASN'T.  HE LOST, and then acted like a SORE LOSER.  As a result, he cannot claim that he's "still a winner, anyway."

If he's convinced he's a winner, LET HIM ACT LIKE ONE.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
And that *ATTITUDE* is the problem.  Basketball is a *TEAM* sport, and even if you're the best player on the court, that isn't enough.  You've got to have the right perspective of yourself.  If you don't have that, you'll never achieve everything you could have.

If he were thinking that about his own teammates, I would agree with you.  Frankly, I would expect most professional athletes to be confident enough that they think they're better than opponents (especially when most of the time they are).

I'm not big on sportsmanship.  These aren't 8 year old kids.  These are professional athletes in a multi-billion dollar business in a competition specifically designed to win.  If an exec at microsoft loses a multi-million dollar buyout of a startup to google, I don't expect ballmer to go over and shake the other guys hands.  I don't hold athletes to a different standard just because their business and competition is something we all played as kids and associate as a game.

the way I always look at it, if I'm a defensive back and I make a big hit on a crossing pattern, I'm goign to stand over top of the guy and show him up.  Why?  If I can get inside his head and distract him, I'm going to take every opportunity I can to get an advantage.  I'm here to WIN. 

The only tactical reason I can think of for sportsmanship is because one day you may be teammates with the other guy.  Still, I would hope they understand that it's not personal, it's because you're the opponent.

Sportsmanship isn't one of the qualities I particularly value at the professional level, so frankly it doesn't bother me.  Doesn't bother me that he didn't shake anyone's hand, nor does it bother me that he didn't go into a postgame interview and say next to nothing to reporters.  That's another facet of sports that I think is completely and utterly overblown.  Again, I'm here to WATCH THE GAME AND ROOT FOR MY TEAM.  I don't need my star players analysis of every possession of every game.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
the way I always look at it, if I'm a defensive back and I make a big hit on a crossing pattern, I'm goign to stand over top of the guy and show him up.  Why?  If I can get inside his head and distract him, I'm going to take every opportunity I can to get an advantage.  I'm here to WIN. 

Hey, I've got no problem with James towering over the guy he just dunked on IN GAME.

Try to stand over that player *AFTER* the game, and that's a different thing.  It's the difference between being a competitor and a prick.

If James wants a competitive advantage, GREAT!  But he's not getting one by refusing to shake hands afterwards.  Instead, he's throwing gas on a fire.  The last thing he needs is Orlando playing HARDER against Cleveland next year.
Joe

-----------

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
If Orlando needs to remember a 6 month old game to get them excited next year, then they're already behind the 8 ball.

Is clearly being frustrated and showing emotion maybe not the most mature thing to do?  Maybe.  But it doesn't bother me.  These are human beings with emotion.  I'm sick of stock, scripted answers just to appease the media and fickle fanbase.  I find robots boring.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
If Orlando needs to remember a 6 month old game to get them excited next year, then they're already behind the 8 ball.

Is clearly being frustrated and showing emotion maybe not the most mature thing to do?  Maybe.  But it doesn't bother me.  These are human beings with emotion.  I'm sick of stock, scripted answers just to appease the media and fickle fanbase.  I find robots boring.

I don't think anyone cares about the press conference.  Like I said earlier all the answers would be generic.  I could have went up there to field questions for Lebron.

Showing emotion is also cool in my book too.  Had he left with out shaking hands I would have lost a tiny bit of respect for him, he does seem like a classy guy, but it wouldn't have mattered much.  The fact he came back and said the things he did put it over the top for me personally.   Though I do respect your opinion and what you are getting at.

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email

I think you've missed the boat here, Derek.  There's nothing that gets a team - or even a player - fired up like being disrespected in some way.  If I'm Stan Van Gundy, and I play Cleveland in the playoffs next year, I am ABSOLUTELY going to mention LeBron's disrespect after our victory.  "He was essentially saying, 'We're the better team;  those guys just got lucky.'  You go show that ************.  Don't leave him any room to doubt.  Don't let him act like he won."  And if you play the emotion card sparingly, it *CAN* get a team fired up.  The trick is to play it SPARINGLY.  (In other words, don't be Doug Collins, (the breath of fresh air/stale windbag comment).)

Joe

-----------