Author Topic: Put away the Puppets, let the real contest begin!  (Read 9431 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Put away the Puppets, let the real contest begin!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 03:54:07 PM »
I think from your comments that you are all beginning to realize the match-up problems Orlando creates.  You are all talking about the Lakers changing their line-up to deal with the Magic scorers.  Odom is as good a scorer as Bynum anyway, but he's not an outside defender, either.

FYI rick, I understand the game better than most, the difference between your take and mind is I see both sides of the argument/matchup, not just the one that favors the team playing the Lakers.  I'm not starting to realize anything, I've known plenty about every possible matchup for the Lakers since the playoffs began.  Odom vs Lewis actually favors the Lakers.  Odom is so much more versatile than Lewis and will kill him on the boards.  Odom has the ability to guard post players and perimeter players, he's no defensive stopper but he's not cannon fodder either.

Let's address this live with and die by the three nonsense first:

The Magic have shot close to 38% from the 3 point line all season, and .367 in the playoffs. 4 of 10 is 40%. 3.67 x 3 = 11.1.  If the Lakers shoot 50% from the field 5 x 2 = 10.  See the problem?  The Lakers haven't even shot that well in the playoffs. They have only managed .467 from the 2.The idea that the Lakers can suddenly change their habits overnight and become a good defensive team against three point shooters is something I consider wishful thinking.  It's not just Hedo and Lewis either, Alston shoots the three, Petrius shoots the three, JJ Reddick shoots the 3.  You can't cover them all or expect them all to suddenly go cold against a team that doesn't cover the outside well.  The Magic don't just live by the three, they thrive on it!

What you fail to realize rick is that scoring in the paint vs the 3 point line isn't just about the points.  There are so many other factors that I think I'd be wasting my time trying to explain it to you if your take is as simplistic as: "The Magic have shot close to 38% from the 3 point line all season, and .367 in the playoffs. 4 of 10 is 40%. 3.67 x 3 = 11.1.  If the Lakers shoot 50% from the field 5 x 2 = 10.  See the problem?"  If you're a Magic fan than that comment looks great but if you understand basketball you will udnerstand why scoring in the paint is a superior tactic because it causes a lot more problems for a defense and the personnel.

Further, if the Lakers focus on the outside that gives Howard the room to operate.  Throughout the playoffs Howard has been hitting his free throws, so fouling him won't work, and they can't afford to loose Gasol to foul trouble.  Will they use Bynum, Powell and Mbenga to try to defend Howard?  It will be interesting to see how the Lakers defend against a team that makes it so hard to cover all their players. And still manage to score enough to win.

I guess you haven't seen much of the Lakers with your "hate" colored glasses.  The Lakers have faced the same prolem for nearly a decade.  The Lakers are used to playing against a dominant inside presence, in fact a SUPERIOR inside presence.  The Lakers have thrown different looks at Tim Duncan to keep him off balance and I think the Lakers will do the same thing to Dwight.

The Lakers need to get Howard into foul trouble, but Howard has learned how to play smart and smile when he gets a foul called on him no matter how outrageous. Th Lakers don't have a pest like Varajo to annoy him either. I don't think that Kobe will get the calls driving the lane like LeBron did. If Dwight is guarding the lane, Kobe will have to stop and pop.  That is after Kobe gets by Petrius or whoever is the first defender.  If Kobe can get by Petrius he can set up Gasol since Howard will have to divide his attention. There's only one ball, so Howard will try to stop Gasol on the inside, and let Lewis cover him on the outside.  If Gasol can score consistently from outside, that will be a negative for the Magic, but whether it will be enough to secure the series is another matter.

Howard fouled out of 3 games in a 6 game series, he has learned NOTHING.  Howard should have fouled out of game 6 but the refs really gave Howard the royal treatment and let him get away with a ton of fouls.

Stop and pop is Kobe's game, that's why I think he's better sutied to face the Magic than LeBron was in their series.  If Dwight has to help on Kobe then Gasol is going to be just fine making catches in the paint or at the rim when Dwight is forced to leave him.  If Gasol faces up then I think Howard is going to have to conceed the 12 to 15 foot jumper to Gasol.  Howard cannot risk getting to close to Gasol because Gasol will go by him and Dwight will get into foul trouble trying to strip Gasol.

A 6'7" Ariza on Hedo is not going to work, IMO. You're comparing a guy who averages less than 10 against a 6'10" player that shoots the 3 and drives to the hole and puts up 15 and 5 assists.  If you have Gasol and Odom up front on Howard and Lewis, who's going to keep Hedo in check? Ariza can't offset Hedo's scoring with his own.  The Magic are flexible with their attack too, whichever match-up favors them is the one their going to go at.  Hedo is the one you have to keep in check since he is the Magic's leading assist man.  Odom can't stay with him, IMO, he's an inside defender. Who else do the Lakers have that won't be a liability on the other end of the floor?

Hedo is a much easier person to guard than Carmelo.  Melo does EVERYTHING better than Hedo and Ariza should have no more trouble guarding him than Melo, in fact it should be easier on Ariza this series.  Ariza is quicker than Hedo and will cause Hedo problems when he tries to put the ball on the floor.  Ariza doesn't have to outscore Hedo, that has never been his role on the Lakers.  Ariza will bring Hedo's scoring down his level rather than trying to raise his scoring to Hedo's level.

We all agree that Kobe is going to get his, but he is going to have to score 35+ to overcome the Magic scoring. And Gasol will have to pump in over 20 per game as well.

Odom is going to have an easier time scoring on the Magic because there is no defender to take him out of the game.  He had a hard time wtih the stronger/quicker Artest/Scola, the Magic have nobody like that to guard Odom.  The Magic are going to have to rely on Howard to protect the basket from Odom so NOW you're asking Howard to deal with Gasol, Kobe, AND Odom.  It will be tough because IMO Lewis will not be able to defend Odom.

On the plus side the ESPN genius crew is going 9-1 in favor of the Lakers.

Petrius outscored the entire Cavalier bench in several games during their series. We're talking about the Lakers having to guard Howard, Lewis and Hedo, you add Petrius into that mix and the Lakers are going to be stretched thin, meaning no double-teams on Howard. Everyone trying to stop Orlando this season had the same problems.

I think the Lakers will have trouble with Petrius as well unless Kobe or Ariza are guarding him.  The other guy they can try on him would be Sasha, who's just a big a pest as Varajo, and see if they can take him out of his game.  That being said I think Petrius will be a bigger factor than Hedo.

I'm not as familiar with the Laker bench, but looking at the boxscores it doesn't seem like any of them are a real threat, and none of them play extended minutes.   Will any of them suddenly become significant contributors in the finals!?

None of them need to be a significant threat, that is why the are the "bench".  The Lakers are not a team that is deficient in scoring, they don't need a big punch off the bench.  In the last couple of game the bench has been giving them exactly what they need.  The bigger contribution the bench brings is defense since there is typically one starter with the bench on the floor all the time that takes up the scoring load.  Using your basic understanding of basketball, 3 guys scoring 4 points is better than one guy scoring 10.

Correct me on this, if I'm wrong, but the Lakers depend on Gasol and Kobe for their scoring and the others occasionally pump in the remainder. That means the Magic need to slow down one of them to get the edge, probably Gasol.  When Orlando has the ball, Howard gets the lions share of the touches, and he is usually open, because his man if forced to help on the penetrator. If he does get covered, there isn't a better team in the league at finding the open man and there all threats to shoot.  If you've watched them, the Magic work the ball moving it around and from side to side. The Lakers pressure defense did win a few games for them, but I can't see them having the same effect on a team that spreads the floor so well. More likely the Magic will find an open man in space and bomb away.

The Lakers do depend on those two but it not just for points.  Gasol and Kobe setup the offense for easy scores, when that doesn't materialize the Lakers just run the triangle.  When all else fails they just give the ball to Kobe, that is a luxury the Magic do not have, not in Hedo, not in Dwight, and not in Lewis.

The one thing that has been consistent is that everyone has discounted the Magic explaining away what they do and assuming that they won't continue to shoot the way they have all season.  My conclusion is that they are better than everyone thinks and few realize just how good they are. It's always that way with the new up and coming team.

The reason everyone has discounted the Magic is because everyone HAS SEEN THIS BEFORE and it has failed.  Suns, Dallas, Cavs, Nets, and Nuggets.  Perimeter oriented teams fail in the playoffs.  Dwight has helped them a great deal in making them succesfull, his ability to defend the rim has saved the Magic on more than one occasion.  Dwight is why the Magic have gotten further than everyone expected, that and the unexplicable collapse of the Cavs role players.  A healthy Celtics team would have destroyed the Magic, the can thank the injury bug for their Finals appearance IMO.

The one thing in the Lakers favor is that the Celtics were tougher on them than Cleveland, because Boston was stronger inside, as the Lakers are. Once Garnett and Powe went down Orlando had an easier time of it and won the series. If the Lakers can play big, they may bother Howard enough and keep Lewis and Hedo from driving. That will keep them in the series if the Magic aren't shooting well from the outside. I figure the Magic may have one off game, and Kobe will have one or two spectacular games. That would give the Lakers 3 wins and Orlando 4.

Have you figured Odom playing well?  How about Bynum?  How about the bench?  I do think the Magic will keep up their 3 point shooting pace and it will cause the Lakers many problems.  Will those problems be enough to offset the superior inside/outside offense of the Lakers?  I really don't know but I think PJ will figure out which poison to take from the Magic quarter by quarter and game by game.  This is very much the same issues they have dealt with in Tim Duncan.  Granted the Spurs never head the 3-pt threats that the Magic do so that's why I'm not sure what's going to happen.

I figure a split in LA and they'll get one in Orlando of the three. They'll head back to the LA up 3-2, and I don't think LA can win two in a row against this team.  Kobe will have to be spectacular in a game where Orlando is hitting well from the outside and just might edge them out to win the extra game they need to win the series.

Still thinking Orlando in 6 or 7. 

I think it will probably pan out as you say but the Lakers will be the one's winning game 7.

Officiating may make the difference in this series, and I'm not talking about them playing favorites, but just calling the game straight. It will be Kobe vs. Howard at the line and that favors the Lakers. The fewer fouls called on Kobe's defender, the better it will be for the Magic. If they can just let Kobe score and not foul him for that extra point they should win. Petrius did a very good job on LeBron and didn't foul out once. Howard got better and better as the series went on, and hasn't gotten into trouble with the refs since his technical was rescinded. If he can stay on the floor for most of the game, I think it will be too much for even the Lakers to deal with.

The only team that has defended Kobe without fouling have been the Rockets but the Magic have nobody like Shane or Artest, nor do they have the defensive decipline of the Rockets, the Magic just rely on Howard erasing mistakes and that got Howard to the bench all too often in the playoffs.

P.S.  I really do enjoy your take even if I disagree or think it's driven by Lakers hate.  Keep it up rick.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »
Joe, how does LA have more foul drawers?

Here is the list of the top 20 playoff leaders in free throw attempts thus far:

PLAYER NAME, TEAM NAME    GP      PPG      FTM      FTA      FTM     FTA      FT%
1 LeBron James , CLE    14    35.3    10.6    14.2    149    199    .749
2 Dwight Howard , ORL   18    21.7    6.1    9.4    110    170    .647
3 Kobe Bryant , LAL   18    29.6    7.6    8.5    137    153    .895
4 Carmelo Anthony , DEN16    27.2    7.4    9.0    119    144    .826
5 Chauncey Billups , DEN16    20.6    6.6    7.3    106    117    .906
6 Pau Gasol , LAL   18    18.2    4.4    6.3    79    113    .699
7 Rashard Lewis , ORL   19    19.4    4.2    5.4    80    103    .777
8 Dirk Nowitzki , DAL   10    26.8    8.6    9.3    86    93    .925
9 Paul Pierce , BOS   13    21.4    6.0    7.0    78    91    .857
10 Hedo Turkoglu , ORL 19    15.2    3.7    4.4    71    84    .845
11 Josh Smith , ATL   11    17.1    4.7    6.5    52    71    .732
12 Nene Hilario , DEN   16    11.5    2.9    4.4    46    70    .657
13 Rajon Rondo , BOS   13    17.4    3.2    5.0    42    65    .646
14 Lamar Odom , LAL   18    12.0    2.1    3.6    38    64    .594
15 Glen Davis , BOS   13    16.0    3.4    4.8    44    62    .710
16 Dwyane Wade , MIA   7    29.1    7.1    8.3    50    58    .862
17 Ray Allen , BOS   13    17.9    4.1    4.3    53    56    .946
17 Ben Gordon , CHI   7    24.3    7.0    8.0    49    56    .875
19 Trevor Ariza , LAL   18    11.4    1.7    3.0    31    54    .574
20 Mickael Pietrus , ORL19    10.5    1.9    2.7    36    51    .706

Sorry about how the columns line up, but here are the totals for the two clubs:

LA  384 Attempts 285 Makes .742%
Orl 408 Attempts 297 Makes  .727%

The next relevant players are Rafer Alston and Bynum which only tilts the numbers more in favor of Orlando.

If this holds true in this series. This should give Orlando the edge, even though they don't shoot quite as well, since Howard brings down their average, they get to the line more often and have made 12 more over the 18 games. The Magic actually played 19 games, except for Howard who was suspended for one against the Sixers. I figure that the loss of Howard for one game and the additional game for the other Magic players is a wash.

I think everyone's posts on this issue have been excellent. Great job!

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 05:03:26 PM »
Actually, when I ran my numbers, I came out with the two teams relatively close, with Orlando taking more free throws per minute than LA in the regular season.  Here's what I got from the regular season numbers.

Orlando (Howard/Lewis/Turkoglu/Nelson/Lee/Pietrus/Johsnon/Redick/Battie/Alston/Gortat):  .119 FTM/min.
LA (Bryant/Gasol/Odom/Fisher/Ariza/Bynum/Vujacic/Farmar/Walton/Brown):  .111 FTM/min.

Then I started looking at the individuals.

O-Howard   .3010
L-Bryant     .1905
L-Bynum     .1487
L-Gasol      .1464
O-Turkoglu  .1382
O-Alston     .1157
L-Odom      .1110
O-Lewis     .0941
L-Ariza      .0845
O-Redick    .0837
O-Pietrus    .0828
O-Nelson    .0741

Battie, Brown, Farmar, Vujacic, Gortat, Johnson, Fisher, Walton, and Lee follow from there.

When I look at this, I see lots of fouls committed on Howard, specifically - as part of strategic advantage.  However, when I look at the rest, what I see is LA having a signficant edge in terms of getting to the foul line.  In fact, LA has 2-3-4...and sure enough, two of those are guys who are going to be covered by Dwight Howard.

You have to look at not just who is drawing the fouls, but who is liable to be COMMITTING them.  Kobe Bryant's main match-ups will be Lee/Pietrus;  Howard's will be Bynum/Gasol.  To me, that says it's more likely that HOWARD will be having the fewer minutes due to foul trouble - especially when you consider LA will use Bynum's and Gasol's fouls on Howard, and you can imagine Fisher and the other guards contribuing to that cause, whereas you're not going to see Alston and Lee coming down to purposely commit fouls on Gasol.

Orlando's number is higher due to the sheer number of free throws per minute Howard shoots.  Reduce his minutes (due to foul trouble), and that total looks lower and lower.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 06:02:19 PM »
Aaahhhh! This is what this board does best! Breakdowns and analysis of strengths and weaknesses like no other board I know of. Would t'were that I had more time to post at length.

Excellent points by everyone thus far, even Rick gave me something to think about I had not thought of before. You're right Rick, Odom is not a lock down defender, but he is long enough and quick enough to offset that, especially with Hedo, who is not nearly as quick as Lamar. No way if Odom is on his game Hedo scores at will and with the exception of Howard, no one on Orlando is a better rebounder than either Odom or Gasol, not even close and LA as a team is quite a bit better than Orlando on the glass, on both ends. This can be a problem for a perimeter team, maybe not against average rebounding opponents, but LA is no average team in this category, this is a big edge to LA.

Joe pointed out a nightmare match up for the Magic, how does Howard guard Gasol if Bynum is on the floor? He doesn't, because Pau is a great passer and finds the open man down low as good as anyone out there, they opt for Lewis to handle Gasol if he steps out it is win win for LA, Gasol can score on Lewis all day long. My thought is the same as Joe's though, pressure Howard into fouling early and often and the scoring will come when he is on the bench. I saw several times in the Cleveland series when he was in foul trouble the frustration of his team as a whole, this is an advantage that LA MUST exploit, and you stack 2 7 footers up on him and a driving Odom, it could be a long series for Orlando. The converse is Bynum is as foul prone as Dwight and so if LA needs him to make this work, his clumsiness could work against them.

More thoughts later, no time now. Great thread!
Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »
That said, the key for the Lakers this series is Gasol/Bynum, because, much as I like Gortat (and think Orlando's best shot is by playing him ahd Howard together), if you can draw fouls on Howard and sit him on the bench, all of a sudden, those Magic shooters don't see the light of day,

I haven't read all the way through but IMO this is the key.  Howard has to stay out of foul trouble.  Once he hits the bench Kobe/Gasol will eat up the Magic inside.  This is also why Cleveland was so outplayed...no one except LBJ could get into the paint thus there was no pressure on Howard to defend.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 10:02:18 AM »
FYI rick, I understand the game better than most,
He sure does, Rick.

Quote from: WayOutWest on May 22, 2009, 11:39:35 PM
I'm really starting to like the Magic team but they are not going to win this series.

Thinking Melo is NOT arrogant is nuts/stupid.    That shot was one of those moments when a series turns.  The Magic win that game and the series is over, LeBron hits that miracle shot and avoids a death sentence for the Cavs.  The Cavs will win the series and that one shot will be the reason why.

The Cavs are hearing "foot steps".  I can't believe the Cavs are letting Dwight dunk his way to double digit scores instead of putting him on the line.  Big props to Dwight for hitting his FT's.  You're probably right about the Magic in 6 but I expect the 3 pt shot to run dry for at least one game this series and that might be game 6.

I don't know if the Magic can close out a team like they're supposed to.

the difference between your take and mind is I see both sides of the argument/matchup, not just the one that favors the team playing the Lakers.   
P.S.  I really do enjoy your take even if I disagree or think it's driven by Lakers hate.  Keep it up rick.
By all means, keep it up rick.  ;) 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »
I haven't read all the way through but IMO this is the key.  Howard has to stay out of foul trouble.  Once he hits the bench Kobe/Gasol will eat up the Magic inside.  This is also why Cleveland was so outplayed...no one except LBJ could get into the paint thus there was no pressure on Howard to defend.

I very much doubt that Kobe will be able to put as much pressure on Dwight as LeBron did in the previous series.  If Dwight is going to get into foul trouble it's going to be caused by the Lakers front court.  Dwight has the tendency to get fouls when he is not protecting the rim.  Offensive rebounding and screens seem to cause Dwight more problems than defending the paint.  Hopefully Dwight will also fall into the trap of swiping at the ball when a player gets an advantage in the paint.  If Gasol faces up and gets a step on Dwight he might draw some fouls or if Odom is on the offensive glass he might also draw a foul or two on Dwight.  If the pattern holds true then Bynum will be a non-factor, he can't stay out of foul trouble so PJ sits him and that messes up his head.  Bynum is big enough to score on Dwight in the paint but for some reason he doesn't use his size to defend the rim since he got hurt.  Bynum prefers to just take a foul rather than play solid defense.

I am very interested to see what starting lineup PJ puts on the floor for game 1.  If the Lakers stick with Gasol/Bynum then I'll be interested to see what brings Odom into the game, Gasol not being able to defend Lewis on the perimeter or Bynum getting into foul trouble.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 10:34:05 AM »

I very much doubt that Kobe will be able to put as much pressure on Dwight as LeBron did in the previous series.  If Dwight is going to get into foul trouble it's going to be caused by the Lakers front court.  Dwight has the tendency to get fouls when he is not protecting the rim.  Offensive rebounding and screens seem to cause Dwight more problems than defending the paint.  Hopefully Dwight will also fall into the trap of swiping at the ball when a player gets an advantage in the paint.  If Gasol faces up and gets a step on Dwight he might draw some fouls or if Odom is on the offensive glass he might also draw a foul or two on Dwight.  If the pattern holds true then Bynum will be a non-factor, he can't stay out of foul trouble so PJ sits him and that messes up his head.  Bynum is big enough to score on Dwight in the paint but for some reason he doesn't use his size to defend the rim since he got hurt.  Bynum prefers to just take a foul rather than play solid defense.

I am very interested to see what starting lineup PJ puts on the floor for game 1.  If the Lakers stick with Gasol/Bynum then I'll be interested to see what brings Odom into the game, Gasol not being able to defend Lewis on the perimeter or Bynum getting into foul trouble.

I think the thought is that Kobe + Gasol + any random person have a greater chance of getting him in foul trouble than just Lebron + any random player.

This is where the coaching staff comes into play and why I feel it's a big time Laker strength that was briefly mentioned.  I am sure the Lakers coaching staff has picked up on what some of the posters in this thread have as far as how best to attack Dwight to get him in foul trouble.  WOW is right in that he tends to get himself in foul trouble due to picking up a couple of cheap/bone head fouls as oppose to always getting them for challenging.  He actually does an excellent job of getting a clean block and not getting too much contact.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
I think the thought is that Kobe + Gasol + any random person have a greater chance of getting him in foul trouble than just Lebron + any random player.

This is where the coaching staff comes into play and why I feel it's a big time Laker strength that was briefly mentioned.  I am sure the Lakers coaching staff has picked up on what some of the posters in this thread have as far as how best to attack Dwight to get him in foul trouble.  WOW is right in that he tends to get himself in foul trouble due to picking up a couple of cheap/bone head fouls as oppose to always getting them for challenging.  He actually does an excellent job of getting a clean block and not getting too much contact.

I think the experience the Lakers staff has had with Tim Duncan and the Spurs will help them in dealing with Dwight.  They are not going into this series cold just because they have not faced the Magic in the playoffs before.

Unfortunately for the Magic, Rafer is going to be their X-Factor.  If the Lakers are going to leave someone open on the perimeters to help in the paint it's going to be Rafer first and Lee second.  IMO both those options are acceptable since Rafer is inconsistent and Lee is a rookie.  When Petrius comes into the game it changes the Lakers defensive strategy because they have to be very diciplined in who helps in the paint.  The problem is right now EVERYBODY seems to be hot on the perimeter for the Magic, even their scrub backup PG.

I think the benches are going to make things interesting.  When Dwight goes to the bench the Magic are going to have severe problems.  On the flip when Kobe sits the Lakers still have Gasol on the floor and vice versa.  Even though Gortat is playing better than Bynum, I think Bynum has a major advantage over Gortat in that you can feed Bynum in the post at get some points but you can't do that with Gortat.  The problem the Lakers are going to face with Gortat is that he is active and will get offensive rebounds and make cuts to the basket for easy scores.  Hopefully the Lakers can protect Bynum enough for him to take advantage of the Magic's 2nd unit.  IMO the Lakers are much deeper than the Magic.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 12:19:33 PM »
Since the consensus is that the officiating will decide the series, I took a look at the two games the teams played during the regular season. It's a very small sample size, so it's not a completely reliable data set to draw conclusions from.

With that caveat, what I noticed was that Dwight had 5 fouls in the first and 4 in the other.  The other thing that stood out, was that neither Bynum, nor Gasol had good games in either one.  Kobe did, but Petrius was inactive.

Lewis and Turk had average games and Dwight was ok, but not spectacular. The one who killed the Lakers was Jameer, who probably had a field day against Fisher.

Both teams managed to score against the other, and thought the games were close, Orlando won both, and was better in the 2nd game than the first.

Obviously Dwight has to stay out of foul trouble,  because his presence made it difficult on Bynum and Gasol. Since Kobe's game is stop and pop,  he's not going to get Dwight into foul trouble.  What he can do is try to draw defenders and pass to one of his bigs underneath. He's going to have to do this over his initial defender who is going to be taller, making it somewhat more difficult than normal.  Even when he scored 40 points it wasn't enough to put the Lakers over the top.

Odom had good games and he will be the X factor for the Lakers. If our projection is right and they start Odom in favor of Bynum, Howard will have more room to operate and possibly put Gasol or Odom into foul trouble.  The real key will be if anyone on the Magic can stay with Odom or offset what he does on the offensive end with their own scoring. Since it will probably be Lewis or Petrius that shouldn't be a problem for the Magic.

Ariza on Hedo is not a good match-up for the Lakers, no matter what your feelings may be.  Hedo isn't Melo, but he has height, range and the ability to drive the lane. He's also very good at faking out his defender and keeping him off balance. Hedo will hang out at the three and shoot over Ariza, when he plays him tight, Hedo will put the ball on the floor and look to drive either to score or kick the ball back out again. It will not be easy for Ariza.

What I see is that the Lakers will need more scoring out of Bynum, Gasol and Odom to win, along with a great game by Kobe. It would be a truly amazing feat if the Lakers are able to consistently chase Orlando's players off the three point line and not give up an easy 2 or a foul.

For Orlando Howard has to be the beast in the middle, scoring, rebounding and making the Lakers interior scorers alter their own shots, forcing them out of their comfort zone. If he can be dominant and force the Lakers to put him on the line to stop him, that will give Bynum and Gasol a bad time.  Petrius will end up on Odom if Lewis can't guard him. Hedo may end up on Kobe, and the Magic will have to accept that Kobe will get his.  If they can keep him from getting the other players the ball, that would be a huge plus for the Magic. 

The other thing is that Orlando has to make up Jameer's scoring elsewhere, and in the playoffs Petrius has filled that role nicely. I suspect the Magic will try to go with Alston and Petrius in the backcourt. Alston is too quick for Fisher, IMO, and he will try to get right to the rim, putting pressure on Gasol. Obviously if Jameer can play that will push the series more in the Magic's favor.

Kobe can't outscore the Magic all by himself, and that's what the Magic will want him to try and do. If any of the Lakers role players can step up and score consistently that will keep them close and give the Lakers a chance to pull it out.

In either case, it looks like the margin for either team is slight, but because the Magic get more scoring from more players, the edge goes to them.  If Dwight Howard plays like Superman, he will contain the Lakers interior attack. That puts pressure on LA's outside shooters. Their ability to respond will determine the outcome. It will put a lot of pressure on Odom, Ariza and Fisher to make their shots.

One other thing, the Lakers only go 8 deep in their rotation and the Magic 9. Late in games will the Lakers have enough energy?  Again if Jameer can come back that would give the Magic 10 players. We've already established that the Lakers will have to work harder than they're used to on defense against a team that stretches the floor. Their ability to do that late in the close games will be a big factor in the series.  When the pressure is on Orlando has comethrough more often than not. No-one else has been able to push the Lakers that much, so it's not clear how tough they can be down the stretch. Will they be able to execute when they're tired and under pressure to match Orlando's execution?  We'll have to see.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 01:10:34 PM »
Since the consensus is that the officiating will decide the series, I took a look at the two games the teams played during the regular season. It's a very small sample size, so it's not a completely reliable data set to draw conclusions from.

WHAT?  Who thinks it comes down to the refs or how they call the game?  You're off the deep end again rick.

Lewis and Turk had average games and Dwight was ok, but not spectacular. The one who killed the Lakers was Jameer, who probably had a field day against Fisher.

IMO Jameer single handedly won the game at Staples because he was the closer.  While Hedo and Lewis can hit a game winning shot they do not provide all the facets that Jameer did for them.  It's a tough loss for the Magic but they have had enough time to adjust to Jameer's absence.

Both teams managed to score against the other, and thought the games were close, Orlando won both, and was better in the 2nd game than the first.

Jameer was big part of those victories, we'll have to see who steps for the Magic.

Obviously Dwight has to stay out of foul trouble,  because his presence made it difficult on Bynum and Gasol. Since Kobe's game is stop and pop,  he's not going to get Dwight into foul trouble.  What he can do is try to draw defenders and pass to one of his bigs underneath. He's going to have to do this over his initial defender who is going to be taller, making it somewhat more difficult than normal.  Even when he scored 40 points it wasn't enough to put the Lakers over the top.

Taller than Shane or Artest?  The Magic don't have a tall defender who can stay in front of Kobe.  Pick your poison with Kobe, put a tall defender or a quick one on Kobe.  If they put one of their taller defenders Kobe is going to blow by them and really hurt the Magic in the paint.

Odom had good games and he will be the X factor for the Lakers. If our projection is right and they start Odom in favor of Bynum, Howard will have more room to operate and possibly put Gasol or Odom into foul trouble.  The real key will be if anyone on the Magic can stay with Odom or offset what he does on the offensive end with their own scoring. Since it will probably be Lewis or Petrius that shouldn't be a problem for the Magic.

Putting Odom in the lineup or not, it won't change the space that Howard has to operate.  Howard is going to have plenty of space to operate regardless of what Lakers are on the floor as long as the Magic have their long range bombers on the court.

Ariza on Hedo is not a good match-up for the Lakers, no matter what your feelings may be.  Hedo isn't Melo, but he has height, range and the ability to drive the lane. He's also very good at faking out his defender and keeping him off balance. Hedo will hang out at the three and shoot over Ariza, when he plays him tight, Hedo will put the ball on the floor and look to drive either to score or kick the ball back out again. It will not be easy for Ariza.

Melo does EVERYTHING better than Hedo, I don't know what makes you think he's going to be tougher for Ariza to guard.  The ONLY thing that Hedo does better than Melo is FT% 81 vs 79, and that's barely worth mentioning.  IMO you are WAY off on this subject rick.  Melo is only an inch or two shorter than Hedo but he's quicker, stronger, a better shooter (including 3 pointers), rebounder, and drives much stronger than Hedo.  While Hedo is no cake walk he is CLEARLY an easier guy to cover than Melo, and after the first two games the Lakers held Melo in check.

What I see is that the Lakers will need more scoring out of Bynum, Gasol and Odom to win, along with a great game by Kobe. It would be a truly amazing feat if the Lakers are able to consistently chase Orlando's players off the three point line and not give up an easy 2 or a foul.

I think the Lakers just need Gasol to maintain his average and for Odom to continue playing the way he did in the last couple of games to beat the Magic.  The Nuggets were just as 3 point crazy as the Magic but they did not have as many shooters and the Lakers did have problems so I expect the same to continue with the Magic. 

For Orlando Howard has to be the beast in the middle, scoring, rebounding and making the Lakers interior scorers alter their own shots, forcing them out of their comfort zone. If he can be dominant and force the Lakers to put him on the line to stop him, that will give Bynum and Gasol a bad time.  Petrius will end up on Odom if Lewis can't guard him. Hedo may end up on Kobe, and the Magic will have to accept that Kobe will get his.  If they can keep him from getting the other players the ball, that would be a huge plus for the Magic. 

IMO the Magic are asking way more of Howard than the Lakers are asking of Kobe, that could wear Dwight down more than he will wear down the Lakers bigs.

The other thing is that Orlando has to make up Jameer's scoring elsewhere, and in the playoffs Petrius has filled that role nicely. I suspect the Magic will try to go with Alston and Petrius in the backcourt. Alston is too quick for Fisher, IMO, and he will try to get right to the rim, putting pressure on Gasol. Obviously if Jameer can play that will push the series more in the Magic's favor.

If Petrius makes up for Jameer then who will make up for Petrius's bench production?  IMO the Lakers will have the advantage off the bench.

Kobe can't outscore the Magic all by himself, and that's what the Magic will want him to try and do. If any of the Lakers role players can step up and score consistently that will keep them close and give the Lakers a chance to pull it out.

Kobe hasn't been outscoring other teams by himself and IMO the Lakers have more support, and more versatile support, than the Magic have for Howard.  It's not just about points rick and the Laekrs cover more of the bases than the Magic do.

In either case, it looks like the margin for either team is slight, but because the Magic get more scoring from more players, the edge goes to them.  If Dwight Howard plays like Superman, he will contain the Lakers interior attack. That puts pressure on LA's outside shooters. Their ability to respond will determine the outcome. It will put a lot of pressure on Odom, Ariza and Fisher to make their shots.

What makes you think the Magic get more scoring from more players?  Everyone on the Lakers can score, Fisher being the biggest slumper right now.  The bench has way more scoring punch than the Magic plus better defense when they show up, and that's what it comes down to, if the Lakers play like they have in the past two games then the Magic are not in the Lakers class.  The Magic have to rely on the Lakers mental softness to win, and it's not such a bad bet.

One other thing, the Lakers only go 8 deep in their rotation and the Magic 9. Late in games will the Lakers have enough energy?  Again if Jameer can come back that would give the Magic 10 players. We've already established that the Lakers will have to work harder than they're used to on defense against a team that stretches the floor. Their ability to do that late in the close games will be a big factor in the series.  When the pressure is on Orlando has comethrough more often than not. No-one else has been able to push the Lakers that much, so it's not clear how tough they can be down the stretch. Will they be able to execute when they're tired and under pressure to match Orlando's execution?  We'll have to see.

You must NOT watch Lakers games because the Lakers go 10 deep on a REGULAR basis.  The Lakers are not forced to go 10 deep, they go 10 deep in almost every game because it's their standard practice.  Sometimes they go 11 deep with Josh if the Lakers bigs get into foul trouble but make no mistake, the Lakers REGULAR rotation is 10 deep.  If anyone is going to be tired it's going to be Howard, PJ to a fault gives Kobe rest, the one guy that plays too many minutes is Gasol.  IMO the Magic are going to have to play Dwight more minutes to keep the Magic going than the Lakers are going to have to do with Kobe.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 01:14:20 PM »

Rick, I am not sure where you get this info unless you are looking at the regular season.

For the PLAYOFFS:
Magic have 7 players that have played in every game.  The Lakers have 8 players that played in every game.  Even Reality will admit 8 > 7.

Magic have 4 players averaging over 32 minutes a game.  Lakers have 2.

Based on players that have played in 12 playoff games or more.  There are 10 players from each roster...

Minutes played     Magic     Lakers
35+                       3           2
30-35                    1           1
25-30                    1           1
20-25                    2           1    (Magic: Lee 16 of 19 games; Reddick 12 games)
15-20                    0           2
10-15                    2           3    (Magic: Gortat; Anthony Johnson - these guys play every game but out of necessity; no other backups) (Lakers: Farmar/Walton/Vujacic)
less than 10            1           0

It looks to me like the Magic are much more dependant on their starters and should be the ones concerned about fatigue.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 01:21:55 PM »

You must NOT watch Lakers games because the Lakers go 10 deep on a REGULAR basis.  The Lakers are not forced to go 10 deep, they go 10 deep in almost every game because it's their standard practice.  Sometimes they go 11 deep with Josh if the Lakers bigs get into foul trouble but make no mistake, the Lakers REGULAR rotation is 10 deep.  If anyone is going to be tired it's going to be Howard, PJ to a fault gives Kobe rest, the one guy that plays too many minutes is Gasol.  IMO the Magic are going to have to play Dwight more minutes to keep the Magic going than the Lakers are going to have to do with Kobe.

I might not watch all the games but I can read stats!

Kobe 704 (39.1/game) minutes in the playoffs

Gasol 709 (39.4) minutes.  I hope those extra 5 minutes over 18 games didn't tire out Pau too much....

For comparison:
Howard   37.9
Hedo      37.8
Lewis     40.3
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 02:44:19 PM »
I might not watch all the games but I can read stats!

Kobe 704 (39.1/game) minutes in the playoffs

Gasol 709 (39.4) minutes.  I hope those extra 5 minutes over 18 games didn't tire out Pau too much....

For comparison:
Howard   37.9
Hedo      37.8
Lewis     40.3

So the Lakers don't go 10 deep?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 03:03:56 PM »
My mistake, I don't know what I was looking at, but when I checked the LA/Denver series they went at least 10 deep.  Orlando tightened their bench further as their series with Cleveland went on.

The NBA did a write-up on the various match-ups and as far as the starters went, they gave the nod to Orlando.  They said LA's bench was better, but that didn't appear to be the case, as only Odom has really made a significant contribution. They also gave LA the inatangibles (Whatever that means!) and predicted LA in 6.

One thing they did not take into account was Jameer, who practiced at full-strength with the team. Still mum about whether he will play or not in the series, but it now appears more likely than not.  If he does play that will obviously further deepen the Magic's bench.

They did say that Hedo would be a difficult match-up for Ariza, and projected Lee on Kobe. I think it far more likely that Kobe will see more of Petrius. Lee has seen his role diminished since Dwight broke his sinus.  Petrius did a stellar job on LeBron and was an effective scorer for Orlando as well.  In my opinion, that won't change the projections, Kobe was given the nod over whoever he faces, and Hedo was given the nod over Ariza.