Author Topic: OT - Terminator Salvation  (Read 2738 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT - Terminator Salvation
« on: May 25, 2009, 01:18:13 AM »
B -

Eh....not much better than the last terminator.  The SFX were terrific but not much to this movie.  Very convuloted story and very predictable climax and ending.  Split the kids up between this movie and the Night at the Museum one and I think I got the short end of the stick.

Hope "Up" and "Transformers" is better.  That "District ??" movie about aliens looks to be better.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: OT - Terminator Salvation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:37:37 AM »
Wow.  I couldn't disagree more.

Was the climax and ending a bit predictable?  Sure.  Isn't that about the same with the Star Trek movie?  The difference is that one stays true to the story;  the other does not.

I thought the movie was a good movie, and far more in line with the first two movies than with the awful third one.  Lots of action, a good story (although, in fairness, a bit predictable), and an introduction to the future as seen by the Terminator series.  I was especially interested to see how John Connor was going to be portrayed, and I liked what I saw from it.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:10:22 PM »
I've never understood the fascination with the Terminator series.  I like the second one, but that's the only movie in the franchise I found entertaining.  The others pretty much blow, but that's just my opinion.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »
For you fans...

Why was John Conner so surprised that there was a terminator with human skin?  Doesn't he remember his childhood?

BTW we thought it was an ok movie...
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:45:56 AM »
Wow.  I couldn't disagree more.

Was the climax and ending a bit predictable?  Sure.  Isn't that about the same with the Star Trek movie?  The difference is that one stays true to the story;  the other does not.

I thought the movie was a good movie, and far more in line with the first two movies than with the awful third one.  Lots of action, a good story (although, in fairness, a bit predictable), and an introduction to the future as seen by the Terminator series.  I was especially interested to see how John Connor was going to be portrayed, and I liked what I saw from it.

WHO let the Trekkie in?!

j/k

I heard some mixed reviews on the movie, last opinion was to wait for dvd...wow.

District 9 looks interesting, up and transformers seem worth watching, still want to see night at the museum 2. 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:53:14 AM »
The movie I'm most looking forward to is "Public Enemies."  Johnny Depp stars as Dillinger.  I have high hopes.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »
I've never understood the fascination with the Terminator series.  I like the second one, but that's the only movie in the franchise I found entertaining.  The others pretty much blow, but that's just my opinion.

I'm with you in that I didn't like either Terminator or Terminator 3.  This one was okay, and made better because it didn't really do major damage to the story.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:41:27 PM »
I am with the T2 only club....

Though I hope this movie is awesome to see visually.  That's really what I expect from this movie and the reason I want to see it.  As far as story line goes I just never thought they did a good job with the story to begin with.  The idea that this system becomes awake and takes over is a great concept but the execution of the story was always poor IMO.  I just liked the shoot em up slash hunting aspect of the movies.

Anyone else looking forward to Land Of The Lost?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »

OK Caleb, what were you 3 years old when the original Terminator came out?  This movie must be viewed in the prism of the time in which it first came out.

The first Terminator was a watershed movie, and it was totally unlike any other movie before it, and in some regards any movie since.  Was it great art or a great story?  That is all a matter of opinion, and maybe T2 was a better story, or better art, but T1 was like nothing that had ever been produced.  That is why it has had 3 sequels.  I watched it 3 times in the theater, and the only other time I did that was Star Wars.  Every person I talked to about the movie at the time saw it the same way, it was WOW!!!  It was by far the most intense movie ever made to that point, and it changed the way people viewed action movies.  The only other movie since, that compared was Die Hard.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 11:25:30 PM »
OK Caleb, what were you 3 years old when the original Terminator came out?  This movie must be viewed in the prism of the time in which it first came out.

The first Terminator was a watershed movie, and it was totally unlike any other movie before it, and in some regards any movie since.  Was it great art or a great story?  That is all a matter of opinion, and maybe T2 was a better story, or better art, but T1 was like nothing that had ever been produced.  That is why it has had 3 sequels.  I watched it 3 times in the theater, and the only other time I did that was Star Wars.  Every person I talked to about the movie at the time saw it the same way, it was WOW!!!  It was by far the most intense movie ever made to that point, and it changed the way people viewed action movies.  The only other movie since, that compared was Die Hard.

Agreed, Terminator was a "first".  T2 was the first time I got blown away by the SFX and the story was incredible.  T3 and T4 have been let downs, I was so looking forward to this movie.  Star Trek was better than X-Men and I expected T4 to be better than Star Trek but it turned out it was the weakest of the 3.  The story was all over the place and it was agonizingly slow for the Terminator to hook up with Conner.  The best part of the movie was the opening 10 minutes and it was down hill from there.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Wolverine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 01:54:07 AM »

Well, I guess it's because I'm not an 'action' guy then.  I love Star Wars, but because of the story and mythology of the universe ... not the special effects.  If a movie's just gonna be SFX, then I don't have any interest in it.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 10:26:55 AM »
My sister took me to see Terminator: Salvation in downtown Montreal.  For what it was, I thought the movie was alright.  Really not too much to the story, the environment\setting was really the focus.

Let me be the second person on this thread to echo the exact sentiments of Ziggy.  Caleb, there is a reason Terminator spawned sequels, attractions, cult followings, and contemporary one-liners.  The first I ever saw "Terminator" was on DVD in 2002.  I had always called my friend Jim Struglia crazy for saying it was his favorite; of course, having never seen it.  When he sat me down and showed it to me, I understood.  Sure it didn't have the liquid metal or the record-breaking budget of the second, but it WAS a better movie.  Beyond the fact it was innovation for cinema, the story was an original concept, very simply introduced and very well executed.

T2 was a step down, yet had its own innovation.  T3 and T4 have been little more than uninspired, summer-season spectacles; moreso resting on laurels.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 09:01:06 AM »
For you fans...

Why was John Conner so surprised that there was a terminator with human skin?  Doesn't he remember his childhood?

BTW we thought it was an ok movie...

It wasn't the skin that surprised Conner, it was the heart and the fact that the Terminator thought it was human.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"