Author Topic: Nice win by Denver.  (Read 3327 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Nice win by Denver.
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:53:21 PM »
They hung tough, played through the Laker friendly refs in the 1st and pulled out gutsy win.  They were clutch at the freethrow line and the calls started going their way late in the game, much like game 1 but in reverse.  Lakers missed 3 critical freethrows in a row late in the 4th quarter and it really cost them the game.

Chauncy was so savy late in the game, drawing some ticky tac fouls but he sold the refs.  I don't know why it doesn't piss me off when Chauncy does but the way CP3 does it looks so wussy and it makes me mad that the refs fall for his BS.

It's critical for the Lakers to get a split in Denver or this series will be over in 6.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Nice win by Denver.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:03:26 PM »
Great move by Denver to put shooters on the floor.  The Lakers could not pack it in paint and it opened up lanes for drives.

Props to Melo for some solid defense.

Lakers again let up and give up a 14 point lead.

The real "paper tiger" in this series is the Lakers defense.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
Caught the second half. 

First, let me get a quick reffing complaint out of the way.  There were two non calls in the fourth involving Kobe that were ridiculous.  They absolutely, %100  had to be a held ball, travel or foul called and nothing.  I know the idea is to let the players decide but this was just way over the top.   

On to more important matters.  Huge props to Melo for overpowering Ariza and Kobe down low for some key put backs.   WOW is correct that Chauncey showed his veteran skils out there tonight. 

I was surprised by how bad Fishers last shot looked.  If I'm not mistaken there were 4 seconds left.  Seems like he rushed it and that he may have even had a good chance to use a pump fake to either step to the side for a better look or even draw a foul. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:54:06 AM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 07:51:39 AM »
I was surprised by how bad Fishers last shot looked.  If I'm not mistaken there wer 4 seconds left.  Seems like he rushed it and that he may have even had a good chance to use a pump fake to either step to the side for a better look or even draw a foul. 

I know everyone is going to laugh when I say this, but it's simply Fisher's inexperience in such a situation.

Fisher has never faced the pressure of being the go-to player.  For all the clutch shots he's made, he's made them while being a nice option, or a desperation attempt.  He's not been the one the play is being drawn up for - the one who has the potential to be the goat.  Up until now, it's always been him being the UNEXPECTED lift, rather than the EXPECTED finisher.

I'm sure some of you are going to argue that being clutch in one situation is the same as being clutch in the other, and I couldn't disagree more.  There's a difference in being "I want the ball, and it's on me either way" and "I'm ready for the ball if it comes my way."  Players who are like the former are the superstars:  Reggie Miller, Jordan, Kobe, Ray Allen - players who are like the latter include Fisher, Robert Horry, Steve Kerr, Sean Elliott.  The former group will create the shot (or in the case of some, create the situation) that they want;  the latter group simply fills in for the situation created by the former.  This time, Fisher was put in the role of potential creator, and instead of improvising when the unexpected happened, he did what he ALWAYS does in that situation:  take the jumper.

About a week or two ago, I wouldn't have posted those thoughts, and probably wouldn't have even though about things that way, but a recent basketball game that I played in really brought this point home to me.  I've been in many games where I've taken late-in-game shots that were key;  in fact, this week I've hit two game-winners.  But I'm a Derek Fisher, not a Reggie Miller.  I cannibalize the mistake made by the defense, and if I'm spotted, I'm solid - but if left to my own devices to create the game-winning shot, people have to be playing lazy defense or it just plain ain't gonna happen.  The counter-example to that is Skander;  he's a Reggie Miller.  He wants the ball in those clutch situations, and he's perfectly willing to be the hero or the goat, knowing he's going to be the hero most often.  If he's given that same shot that I'd take, he may or may not take it...it's not the same stake-through-the-heart shot when he takes it, because he's EXPECTED to carry the heavy load.  He's better off creating for himself;  he's more comfortable if I just give him the ball and let him go to work, rather than setting up for him the shot that I'd want.  It's the difference between a star and a role player.

Fisher was put in the position of star, and it's the wrong position for him to be in.  He's the side-threat, not the primary threat.  The play should have been drawn up for Kobe.  Doing that would have put Fisher in his proper role, thereby making him more effective if the time came for him to take the shot.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:13:57 AM »
Fisher has never faced the pressure of being the go-to player.  For all the clutch shots he's made, he's made them while being a nice option, or a desperation attempt.  He's not been the one the play is being drawn up for - the one who has the potential to be the goat.  Up until now, it's always been him being the UNEXPECTED lift, rather than the EXPECTED finisher.

I was thinking something along those lines as well except it was regarding being a 2nd scoring option.  I noticed that when Melo was not tourching the Lakers it was Chauncy, the Lakers don't have a 2nd option that can create shots for himself and others.  Both Melo and Chanucy can create their own shots and both can find the open man if they get shut down.  Gasol and Odom are supposed to be those guys for the Lakers but they are just not doing it in the playoffs.  I used to feel comfortable when Kobe went to the bench if Gasol was on the floor, then I would only feel comfortable if Gasol AND Odom are on the floor when Kobe is out.  Now I don't feel the Lakers can get much done with Kobe on the bench AND they have a very difficult time if Kobe is being swarmed on by the defense in crunch time.

The Lakers front line is going to have to play better and take some pressure off Kobe in order for them to win this series.  Bynum needs a kick in his behind because he looks completely disinterested in the game, no effort and his head is not in the game.  Same goes for Odom.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 09:16:40 AM »
The Lakers front line is going to have to play better and take some pressure off Kobe in order for them to win this series.  Bynum needs a kick in his behind because he looks completely disinterested in the game, no effort and his head is not in the game.  Same goes for Odom.

I thought the Laker 7 footers were going to dominate the small front line of Denver?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Why was Colonel Sanders Phil even playing Swisher as much as he did?  Was he expecting Fisher to recieve his usual quota of bogus calls?
Farmar and Brown have been so much better.

Thanks Phil Pop.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 09:34:34 AM »
I thought the Laker 7 footers were going to dominate the small front line of Denver?

The Lakers are least winning the rebound battle but Melo is clearly the difference maker.  There is nobody on the Lakers that is having any success defending him.  I thought Gasol and Bynum would offset Melo but that is not happening, Gasol had a solid game but for some reason he's not getting more looks or he is not looking to have the offense run through him.  More often than not good things happend when Gasol has the ball.  Bynum is really killing me, he's so out of it mentally that he's spending most of the game on the bench.  Bynum should be doing better cause the Nuggets are not nearly as physical as the Rockets.  Sasha, Walton, and Odom are giving very little production off the bench.  Phil finally saw the light and sat Sasha but for some reason he likes Walton in there, for his minimal contribution on offense he's making a ton of mistakes on both ends of the court.  Odom has gone back to be inconsistent but you might see Odom start in place of Bynum in Denver since he does much better when he starts.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:00:50 AM »

:D :D que B-Rads disappearance.  Or maybe he'll come in and post the frontlines offensive board stats.

Hey how about that Linas Kleiza?

Role player of the game.  He could be on his way to a Fabs 2007 role.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »
This game was different in that the team with the lower shooting percentage won. What's killing the Lakers is their subs and role players.  Fisher was 1-9 last night.  How he got the ball at the end, or was even in the game at the end is something that you have to ask Phil about.  Honestly, I never liked Fisher.  I don't have any reason why, I just don't think much of him as a player.  Walton and Vujacic also are very limited and just not good when called on to perform. I think I would have gone with Brown or Ariza or even Farmar over Fisher in that situation. 

I don't think that Devner was going to make it easy to get the ball to Kobe.  Fisher was open and he took the shot. Nothing wrong with that, except that it didn't go in. Joe V. made a good point about a real scorer and a role guy like Fisher.  Maybe Phil was thinking his vet instincts would come through and he would make the shot.

At least now we have a series, and both initial favorites have some work to do.  I think LA is better equiped to come up with something against Denver. As oppossed to Cleveland. The games were close, it's not like LA was beaten, just outscored.

Some of you may have noted that I asked where Kleiza was posting after the fist game. Very good player, and someone Phil will have to plan for, because he can hit open shots.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »
Odom has gone back to be inconsistent but you might see Odom start in place of Bynum in Denver since he does much better when he starts.

I went to the two playoff games versus LA in SLC, and it was the first time I really focused on Lamar Odom up close. I'm not so sure that if Odom had Kobe's head on his shoulders, he wouldn't be the best player there ever was. His physical gifts are amazing. And, no, WoW, I'm not talking about THOSE gifts.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 10:17:54 AM »
Let's not forget poor free throw shooting and for whatever reason, getting away from moving the ball.  Obviously those easy passes they got in the first half wouldn't be there in the second but the offensive went stagnant.  I was wondering over the last two games why when they get Kobe on the block that they don't move.  They are running an isolation on the box and just waiting for him to kick out for a jumper.  ONLY Ariza is taking the kick out and actually making an attempt to get to the rim.  Fisher, Sasha, Luke, Odom, etc are all just trying to shoot jump shots.

What I am most impressed about is the poise that Billups brought to this team and has fed down to Melo and others.  Last night was a clear example of this teams ability to not get rattled down the stretch.  Just last year that would not have been the case.  This is also a great example of why you want veterans on your team in playoff time.  Guys like Billups bring a cool and calm demeanor to the court.  When his teammates see he is relaxed and focused they tend to follow suit.  I like the fact that you can't put a number or statistic on that yet it can be the difference from a team getting swept in the first round  and a team battling with the possibility of winning this series in the WCF.

If you want to blame the Lakers big men for not dominating (points wise, rebounding they are doing a solid job) start with Andrew Bynum.  He is not even attempting to block shots and he certainly is not working hard enough in the paint.  The Nuggets cannot guard both Gasol and Bynum when they are on the court together.  Once another player has to rotate to block a shot they get easy lay ups.  Problem is Bynum is playing very lazy defense and rotationing slow (as usual) so he is getting into foul trouble early.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:23:06 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 10:19:30 AM »
Some of you may have noted that I asked where Kleiza was posting after the fist game. Very good player, and someone Phil will have to plan for, because he can hit open shots.

Kleiza won the game for the Nuggets.  He made some critical shots and when he was on the floor the Lakers could not shut down the paint to Melo and Chauncy.  The Lakers were actually shutting down the lane on Melo and Chauncy and they were having trouble scoring but Kleiza forced the Lakers to open up the lanes and the Nuggets erased a 14 point lead.  I was very surprised the Nuggets did not use that lineup more, especially late in the game, it made the Nuggets unguardable.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 10:38:38 AM »
 I was very surprised the Nuggets did not use that lineup more, especially late in the game, it made the Nuggets unguardable.

You have to have a good coach to recognize the situation.  Denver doesn't have a good coach.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »

Kleiza won the game for the Nuggets.  He made some critical shots and when he was on the floor the Lakers could not shut down the paint to Melo and Chauncy.  The Lakers were actually shutting down the lane on Melo and Chauncy and they were having trouble scoring but Kleiza forced the Lakers to open up the lanes and the Nuggets erased a 14 point lead.  I was very surprised the Nuggets did not use that lineup more, especially late in the game, it made the Nuggets unguardable.

With out those back to back 3s in the first half from Kleiza I think we would have seen a much different game honestly.  Reason being is they grabbed all the momentum once they cut the lead down to 1 by half time.  Had the Lakers pressed on I wonder if it really would have went in their favor because I dont think they would have made Mr Momentum put that Nugget jersey back on.

This is one thing that pisses me off about the Lakers and a lot of basketball players in general.  This is what these guys do 80% of the time.  They play basketball.  They understand how situations work and they know about other players. It's like WOW writing code, Lurker crunching numbers, and me doing training...we do it so often we know exactly what to do in most situations/projects/etc.   Now explain to me why guys like Luke Walton constantly make the mistake of leaving guys like Kleiza wide open in the corner to help on NENE!  Yet he will make sure he doesn't leave Kenyon Martin or Chris Anderson 17 feet out?!?!?!  He knows in his head Kleiza can shoot, he knows Nene is not an offensive juggernaut, and I am sure he's been reminded by the coaching staff.  I just don't get it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:43:11 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com