Author Topic: Lakers vs Nuggets - Thuggets fo life!!!!  (Read 6029 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers vs Nuggets - Thuggets fo life!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 09:52:16 AM »
Billups isn't super quick, so Fisher might be able to stay with him, on the other hand Billups is a crafy vet, and I can see him making Fisher look very foolish.

I highly doubt that, Farmar and Brown are another story.  It's the flip of Brooks, he makes Fisher look weak and Farmar had more success against him.  Billups will be the opposite, Fisher will have an easier time against Billups than Brooks.  I'm more concerned with the energy and speed the Denver front court will bring to the series.

Anderson and Melo are very quick for their size.  If the Lakers continue to coast at the start of games I can see it slipping away just like they did in Houston.  That is one problem the Lakers really need to look out for.  They just need to match energy and let everything else come to them. 

Also, Anderson/Smith provide big lifts off the bench.  That is a strength they have over the Lakers.  No one on the Lakers bench has really came in playing hard.  Ever since Ariza got moved to the starting line up you don't get the same hustle off the bench.  Even Lamar Odom, at times, can come right off the bench with no intensity.  Don't get me started on Bynum.....
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 09:58:54 AM »
Billups isn't super quick, so Fisher might be able to stay with him, on the other hand Billups is a crafy vet, and I can see him making Fisher look very foolish.

I highly doubt that, Farmar and Brown are another story.  It's the flip of Brooks, he makes Fisher look weak and Farmar had more success against him.  Billups will be the opposite, Fisher will have an easier time against Billups than Brooks.  I'm more concerned with the energy and speed the Denver front court will bring to the series.
Laker fools.   :D :D  Yeah like Swisher and Kobe really took it to Billups in 2004.  You better pray that Phil plays Farmar and Brown along with Bavetta.

No height on the Nuggets?  More Laker poster foolery.
Birdman.
Chris Andersen

Birdman is gonna be in the face of the Laker softies.  You might be bailed out by his case of food poisoning in Gm 1.

JR Smith vs Ariza could be an X factor battle.  JR another Thugget playing much better with Chauncies arrival.

Nuggets in 6 in a fairly reffed miracle.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 10:02:30 AM »
I'd be curious to hear why Skandery, Joe, Ted, Ziggy or/and Lurker (in more depth) why you feel the Nuggets will win.

Reading comprehension problems?

Having said that I pick the Lakers in 7.  Only Billups has big game experience for the Nuggets.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 10:07:01 AM »
Reality I don't want to interrupt your excellent, well thought out, and down right insightful break down of this match up.  You included pictures and all.  I feel real bad just jumping in here but...

Chris Anderson is 6'10, Martin is 6'9, and Nene is 6'11 ( I believe off the top of my head).  

The Lakers have Pau Gasol (7 foot), Andrew Bynum (7 foot), DJ Mbenga (7 Foot), Josh Powell (6'9), Lamar Odom (6'10)

If you wouldn't have returned that hooked on phonics package for a juicer you might understand the difference between someone saying they don't have as much height as the Lakers and saying they have no height at all.

You can return back to really schooling us on the series by bringing up what Billups did 5 years ago.  Didn't realize you've been such a big fan.  Carry on.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:11:08 AM by westkoast »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 10:08:37 AM »
I'd be curious to hear why Skandery, Joe, Ted, Ziggy or/and Lurker (in more depth) why you feel the Nuggets will win.

Having said that I pick the Lakers in 7.  Only Billups has big game experience for the Nuggets.

Not at all.  I was actually looking for someone with basketball knowledge to break down why the Nuggets would win.  Seeing as I think you know something about basketball I tossed you in there.  We already have enough Laker fans to make a case for the Lakers.  Plus I think it would be hard for a Laker fan to be 100% objective about the Nuggets if one of us were to argue FOR the Nuggets.

Are you unable to argue why the Nuggets could win this series even if you don't think they will??

Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the barn today.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 10:12:29 AM »
lurker
And those Laker big men absolutely, positively destroyed Scola, Landry and Hayes.  Which one of those are taller than 6'9"?
yes BRad and you really schooled lurker with your well thought out response.
So they eeked out a 7 game win.  :D :D
And 7'0" is such an advantage over 6'11" Nene and 6'10" Birdman.  For goodness sake shut your piehole.

Swisher over Billups was brought up by your fellow Nozers.
If you don't like Billups 2004 playoff game, look up this years playoffs.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »
lurker
And those Laker big men absolutely, positively destroyed Scola, Landry and Hayes.  Which one of those are taller than 6'9"?
And 7'0" is such an advantage over 6'11" Nene and 6'10" Birdman.  For goodness sake shut your piehole.

Yeah Pau Gasol did not do well against any of those guys at all.  You are right Reality.  Why did I ever doubt you?  I know you looked the stats up so I am sure you are very much aware that Gasol averaged 18.5 points and 12 rebounds in that series.  His height along with Bynum's is what gave the Rockets trouble in game 5 and 7.  I guess  the Rockets didn't get beat on Sunday and ultimately lost the series due to a lack of height.

If being taller than the Nuggets front line  wasn't an advantage than why did they have so much trouble with Bynum and Gasol in the regular season?  Both Gasol and Bynum had big games against the Nuggets.  Pau Gasol posted a 16 and 16 game against them and a 27 and 19 game against them.  Please explain how you came to the conclusion it's not going to matter when they lost 3 games to the Lakers due to being beat up in the paint/on the glass.

And people brought up Derek Fisher/Billups NOW, not 5 years ago.  This is 2009 in case you were not sure.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:36:28 AM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 11:50:52 AM »

The Nuggets will win in only one way:  George Karl coaches circles around Phil Jackson.  If that doesn't happen, or if the match-up is even close to even, the Lakers with this series pretty easily.

The Nuggets are a team of smoke-and-mirrors.  The reason it works is because their big men are focused on the goal, and the ball in Billups' hands so often means it's not in the hand of J.R. Smith during that time, so his brain-dead basketball can't hurt you, and it's not in Carmelo Anthony's hands, meaning he doesn't get to do nothing but shoot.  Billups is responsbile for taking the ball AWAY from them as well as he is for giving it to them.  Smarter play...therefore Denver's a better team than before.

The Nuggets crash the boards HARD.  They play solid defense.  They play very physical.  But they're not a force to be reckoned with in any of these areas.  Houston is more physical.  The Lakers are better rebounders.  San An is better defensively.  It's just that Denver has a formula, it's a forumla that George Karl approves of, and it's run by a guard he can trust not to be as brain-dead as the Denver players who've had the ball in past years.

*IF* Karl can keep his guys motivated, smart, and directed, *IF* he comes up with a way of combatting the Laker size advantage, *IF* he comes up with a way of exploiting the Laker defense, and *IF* Phil Jackson can't (or doesn't) make any adjustments to all of this, Denver will win.

And that ain't going to happen.

Denver being here at all is a feather in their cap.  They're flawed, but they've got a lot better chemistry and they're playing a lot smarter ball than they have in the past, and I credit a lot of that to Karl's coaching and the rest to Billups's, Anderson's, and Martin's responses to Karl's coaching.  But I think the ride ends here.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 01:56:37 PM »

The Nuggets are a team of smoke-and-mirrors.

What he said, a paper tiger that Billups has made look MUCH better than their talent level indicates, and they beat 2 teams with exactly the same problem, talent to get them to the dance, not enough to get them to the crown.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »
lurker

Yeah Pau Gasol did not do well against any of those guys at all.  You are right Reality.  Why did I ever doubt you?  I know you looked the stats up so I am sure you are very much aware that Gasol averaged 18.5 points and 12 rebounds in that series.  His height along with Bynum's is what gave the Rockets trouble in game 5 and 7.  I guess  the Rockets didn't get beat on Sunday and ultimately lost the series due to a lack of height.

If being taller than the Nuggets front line  wasn't an advantage than why did they have so much trouble with Bynum and Gasol in the regular season?  Both Gasol and Bynum had big games against the Nuggets.  Pau Gasol posted a 16 and 16 game against them and a 27 and 19 game against them.  Please explain how you came to the conclusion it's not going to matter when they lost 3 games to the Lakers due to being beat up in the paint/on the glass.

And people brought up Derek Fisher/Billups NOW, not 5 years ago.  This is 2009 in case you were not sure.

You have time to search the net and make new threads, you have time to talk BASKETBALL on a BASKETBALL MESSAGE BOARD Reality.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »

Not at all.  I was actually looking for someone with basketball knowledge to break down why the Nuggets would win.  Seeing as I think you know something about basketball I tossed you in there.  We already have enough Laker fans to make a case for the Lakers.  Plus I think it would be hard for a Laker fan to be 100% objective about the Nuggets if one of us were to argue FOR the Nuggets.

Are you unable to argue why the Nuggets could win this series even if you don't think they will??

I don't have a lot of time but here are some bullet points:

-Denver is the post season leader in offensive efficiency by a wide margin: 6.6 points better than #2 Cleveland
-LA has played spotty defense throughout the playoffs
-For the regular season Denver was top 8 in both offensive and defensive efficiency - only other teams in that group Cavs, Magic, Celtics & Lakers
-Denver, along with Cavs, have played the most consistent in the postseason - only 2 losses by 2 points both on the road
-Of the remaining teams Denver is tied with Cavs for fewest turnovers per game - LA averages almost 2 more per game
-For the playoffs the Nuggets are almost +7 per game in assists.  They force their opponents into one-on-one play and jumpshots
-Nuggets play a very physical defense which has been this Laker team's achilles heel
-Lakers have not been as focused in the playoffs as the Nuggets
-Lakers are struggling with injuries while Denver is healthy and rolling

Denver will win the series in 6 if they can split the first two then hold home court.  But I expect LA to win 1 game in Denver and the series to go the full 7.  And I pick LA in game 7.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »

-Denver is the post season leader in offensive efficiency by a wide margin: 6.6 points better than #2 Cleveland
-For the regular season Denver was top 8 in both offensive and defensive efficiency - only other teams in that group Cavs, Magic, Celtics & Lakers
-Denver, along with Cavs, have played the most consistent in the postseason - only 2 losses by 2 points both on the road
-Of the remaining teams Denver is tied with Cavs for fewest turnovers per game - LA averages almost 2 more per game
-For the playoffs the Nuggets are almost +7 per game in assists.  They force their opponents into one-on-one play and jumpshots
-Nuggets play a very physical defense which has been this Laker team's achilles heel

Denver will win the series in 6 if they can split the first two then hold home court.  But I expect LA to win 1 game in Denver and the series to go the full 7.  And I pick LA in game 7.

Now, That's a great post.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »

Great post.  I am going to reply in full tomorrow.  This is exactly why your name was thrown in the mix.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 09:51:07 AM »
Yes B-Rad, break it down for us how the undersized Nuggets front line did against the superior Laker front line in Game 1.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 10:14:27 AM »
Yes B-Rad, break it down for us how the undersized Nuggets front line did against the superior Laker front line in Game 1.

LOL @ your lame attempt to twist everyone's point that the LAKERS (the team) are bigger than the Nuggets.

How about 17 offensive rebounds to 7 that led to 22 second chance points.  Had the Lakers not done so well on second chance points they would have lost seeing as they shot 41 % and the Nuggets at 48%.  Pau Gasol got almost as many offensive rebounds himself (6) as the entire Denver team did (7).

Wow that was easy.  Do you want me to continue to smack you around in this thread?  That was with Bynum in foul trouble as well.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:20:53 AM by westkoast »