Author Topic: Cavs vs Magic - What teams are being watched by everyone else?  (Read 4442 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Cavs vs Magic - What teams are being watched by everyone else?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »
At least Barkley agrees with me.

That would be enough for me to change my argument.  :D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 03:40:21 PM »
Anyone else really looking forward to this game tonight??
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 04:04:05 PM »
Anyone else really looking forward to this game tonight??

I hope it's a good game cause the Cavs are making it look like the Varsity vs JV squad scrimage.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 04:31:59 PM »
I'm looking forward to it.  Unfortunately, I won't get to watch most of it though. 

I think Cleveland wins this game and the series, but I don't think they tear through Orlando like they have their opponents to date.  Orlando will test Cleveland and likely take it 7 games.  It's hard to pick against Cleveland with home court advantage. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 05:57:10 PM »
Phila. was successful having a guard come and take the ball out of Howard's hands as he started to post up. Whenever they cheated off another player to double him, the Magic made them pay by hitting an open shot

For the series Lewis and Hedo combined to make only 2 three's per game on average.  The Sixers actually did a good job closing out on them.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 10:28:23 PM »
It looked like the Magic were going to "dumb" this one away but they pulled it out.  I could NOT believe Pietrius took that 3 point shot with less than a couple of minutes to play.

Nice win, for the first 2 1/2 quaters it looked like another Clevland snooze fest but the Magic battled back and LeBron ran out of gas because they have not been playing for a while.  LeBron could not even get across half court late in the 4th.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 10:45:03 PM »
Looks like Lebron was a lot more tired than I thought, it took over 5 minutes to get him off the court after the game.  He looked exhausted and was cramping up durring the game and after the game was over.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 09:18:59 AM »
EPIC FAIL for westkoast last night....

I turned the game off at half time.  Figured it was going to be a blow out and I wanted to play this new UFC Undisputed on PS3 so I stopped watching.  Turns out I missed an awesome finish.

I don't think you can blame 'rust' on the loss because the Cavs looked like they had not missed a beat in the first half.  Almost as if they were the ones who played a few days prior.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 10:41:03 AM »
Orlando was simply too much for Cleveland.  Once they settled down, protected the ball and started running their offense, they started nibbling into Cleveland's lead, and the Cavs couldn't do anything about it.  Lebron was all over the court, blocking Superman's shot, trying to guard Lewis or Hedo and doing everything the could to keep his team in front.  But by the time the fourth quarter started, Lebron was exhausted, right when his team needed him the most.

It will probably be like this in every game, except that Orlando won't have a first quarter collapse.

I think Orlando has the edge as I posted earlier, but Cleveland is so tough with LeBron that it's hard to go with them. The thing is LeBron needs some help from his teamates, and he as great as he is can't play 48 min. at a high level.

I thought last night's game was one of the best of the entire playoffs, the back and forth scoring by both teams in crunch time was very impressive for both teams, both teams showed determination and confidence and refused to yield. This is what I hope for in Conference final matches: Two good teams slugging it out and showing why they belong there.  Much more impressive than the WC crunch time battle.

Whoever gets out of the West is going to have a very difficult time against either of these teams.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 10:48:48 AM »
Much more impressive than the WC crunch time battle.

Why is that?  I thought it was another DUMB close out by the Magic.  Stupid shots, taking a 3 pointer when the basket was WIDE OPEN for a drive, plus it was early in the shot clock.  A worn out LeBron not being able to close out, or even get across half court, makes it more impressive?  If anything it was anti-climatic end to a great game, the Magic dumbed their way into a one posession last second shot game, and the Cavs closer was too tired to make an impact.  Great game but typical EC finish of the lesser dumb team winning.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »
How come there are so little 'sky is falling' type comments about the Cavs losing the first game to an opponent they are suppose to beat?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
How come there are so little 'sky is falling' type comments about the Cavs losing the first game to an opponent they are suppose to beat?

True.  If it were "rust" I could see them shaking it off but the fact of the matter is the Cavs did not show "rust", they showed an inability to handle a "crunch time" situation.  They have yet to face this kind of pressure in the playoffs and they did not handle it well on their homecourt.  The bright spot is the Cavs can rely on their defense to win these types of games vs their offense like the Lakers, Magic, and Nuggets tend to do.

I think the Cavs have to blow out the Magic in game 2 to get their confidence back but their invincilbe juggernaught mistique is definately gone, much like the Lakers lost their mistique durring the Rockets series.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:41:21 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 12:56:19 PM »
None of these teams are invincible, they were all significantly better than their opponents up until now, but all these teams got here because they were tougher and better at closing out games. Now that they're matched up against other elite teams their margin for winning is much narrower.

What was quality about the Cavs/Magic game is how many points were scored by both teams against two of the statistically better defensive teams in the league. The officials were giving LeBron a lot of calls that he didn't deserve, including the one where Dwight Howard was called for his 6th.  That isn't just my opinion, in the post game rehash, Barkley was commenting on game film, saying that's not a foul, that's not a foul.

Orlando had to overcome a lot to get that win last night, and shooting a three is not a mistake if it goes in. In fact you could criticize Cleveland for doing the same thing. It's a coaching philosophy and it's based on confidence in your shooters, amd it comes from experience seeing these players successful in those same types of circumstances.

If you look at the number of points scored by each team in crunch time last night, you quickly realize that these teams sank a greater number of shots at the end in comparison with their western counterparts. (Garbage time free throws don't count) These are in game, well-executed shots against good defense. Orlando has a couple of players they can go to at the end, Cleveland really only has two, and it was a Mo Williams missed shot that lost the game for Cleveland.  It is this feature of the Magic that stands out, they can go to Hedo or Lewis or Howard for the last shot, and none of them are easy to stop, they other players can all hit open shots, and Cleveland left them open to prevent drives by Hedo or Lewis.

Having more than one player you can trust in crunch time gives you a competitive advantage, even if the other teams have one player that is head and shoulders above the rest. Lebron is clearly the best player on the floor, but the Magics combination of multiple players makes them that much tougher to stop.  Cleveland was statistically among the league leaders in defense, yet in their first game defending the Magic at home in the playoffs, the results were very disheartening for Cleveland.  Orlando shot a blistering 55% from the field and 45% from 3 point-land. That's too much for any team to overcome. Contrast that with the shooting from the other series and it's clear that Orlando has got it going on.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »
(Garbage time free throws don't count)

There has been on "garbage time" in the WCF yet, unlike the first 2 1/2 quaters of the Cavs/Magic series.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"