Author Topic: What do you guys think about the Dallas "no call"?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
What do you guys think about the Dallas "no call"?
« on: May 11, 2009, 12:16:02 AM »
I feel really bad for the Mavs and their fans, they had thier hearts ripped out and then stepped on.  The league acknowledged it was a mistake but that doesn't erase the "L".  My problem with the whole thing is if the Mavs player really hits Melo hard, he risked a BS flagrant call.  I've seen a "no call" on a break away but not too often does a "no call" help the player being fouled like it did in the last game for the Nuggets.

The horrid officiating is really causing some interesting problems.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: What do you guys think about the Dallas "no call"?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:28:18 AM »
In my opinion, the problem is a simple one:  this is due to the over-coaching by all the commentators as to when you should foul in the last few seconds and when you shouldn't.  This non-call - a mistake, but a non-player mistake caused by a strategic mistake - demonstrates that the most important thing in basketball is playing your game that you always play rather than rely on a whistle to bail you out.

You DON'T foul to prevent a 3-pointer.  You DON'T foul to kill the clock.  Doing these type of things takes the onus of playing the game off of the players, and that's a mistake.

I feel bad for Dallas because that's a team that always seems to be getting jobbed by the referees one way or another, but I can only feel so bad about a team that hasn't adjusted to the fact that they're going to get jobbed by the referees one way or another.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:06:23 AM »
In my opinion, the problem is a simple one:  this is due to the over-coaching by all the commentators as to when you should foul in the last few seconds and when you shouldn't.  This non-call - a mistake, but a non-player mistake caused by a strategic mistake - demonstrates that the most important thing in basketball is playing your game that you always play rather than rely on a whistle to bail you out.

You DON'T foul to prevent a 3-pointer.  You DON'T foul to kill the clock.  Doing these type of things takes the onus of playing the game off of the players, and that's a mistake.

I feel bad for Dallas because that's a team that always seems to be getting jobbed by the referees one way or another, but I can only feel so bad about a team that hasn't adjusted to the fact that they're going to get jobbed by the referees one way or another.

How do you adjust to getting jobbed in the finals and in this situation other than say NEVER foul?  That is easier said then done at times.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »
You tell your players to play the game so as not to leave it up to the officials to help you out.

The Mavericks relied on the officials, and the officials let them down - again.  And that's just plain stupid.
Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:30:30 AM »
You tell your players to play the game so as not to leave it up to the officials to help you out.

The Mavericks relied on the officials, and the officials let them down - again.  And that's just plain stupid.

Yea in this case I agree but what about in the finals against the Heat?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 10:55:59 AM »
The Finals against the Heat should have told them what to expect in this series. 

Yes, they were jobbed back then.  At the time, about the only thing they could have done is to commit a few flagrant fouls as a warning to the officials:  call fouls unfairly, and we'll commit them extremely.

As for this time around, Cuban missed his opportunity;  he should have thrown out the name "Tim Donaghy" as the referee who didn't make the call.  Cuban has traditionally said that he want the officials held accountable, and if that's the case, it starts with holding the league office accountable.  He'll draw a huge fine for saying it;  a multi-million dollar fine, I'd bet.  But it truly throws down the gauntlet, and opens up the possibility for pulling in outside forces for examining Stern's promise to make the NBA's officiating crews more accountable.

Can you imagine the storm that would be raised if Cuban said, "I don't know why that foul wasn't called;  Tim Donaghy was right there in position to see it."  He could even excuse it by saying, "Oh, I'm sorry;  I meant <actual official's name>," and by doing that set up grounds to avoid the fine by playing it off as an honest mistake.

Joe

-----------

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 11:20:58 AM »
Can you imagine the storm that would be raised if Cuban said, "I don't know why that foul wasn't called;  Tim Donaghy was right there in position to see it."  He could even excuse it by saying, "Oh, I'm sorry;  I meant <actual official's name>," and by doing that set up grounds to avoid the fine by playing it off as an honest mistake.

That reminds me, there is some talk around the cooler today about the Lakers game being "fixed".  So much money was laid out for the Lakers to win game 4 and they Lakers just mailed it in, they gave up in the game just day dreaming about game 5 at Staples.  I've know the Lakers play enough to see this as just another "roll my eyes moment" but can you imagine the drama in places like Vegas on Sunday?

Anything to that?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:46:25 AM »
I think it really stinks, since Dallas was cheated out of a win and that probably cost them any chance of surviving in their series. The NBA officials blew the call, but the Dallas defender should have continued to foul and prevent the Denver player from making a shot.  That way, they aren't relying on the official, a no-call gives them a free foul and the ball back.

The play isn't over until the ref blows his whistle, and if you didn't hear a whistle what you did wasn't a foul.

It does show how bad the officiating is, in spite of the NBA's assertion of objectivity.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:39:21 PM »
As for this time around, Cuban missed his opportunity;  he should have thrown out the name "Tim Donaghy" as the referee who didn't make the call.  Cuban has traditionally said that he want the officials held accountable, and if that's the case, it starts with holding the league office accountable.  He'll draw a huge fine for saying it;  a multi-million dollar fine, I'd bet.  But it truly throws down the gauntlet, and opens up the possibility for pulling in outside forces for examining Stern's promise to make the NBA's officiating crews more accountable.

Excellent.

rt
I think it really stinks, since Dallas was cheated out of a win and that probably cost them any chance of surviving in their series. The NBA officials blew the call, but the Dallas defender should have continued to foul and prevent the Denver player from making a shot.  That way, they aren't relying on the official, a no-call gives them a free foul and the ball back.

The play isn't over until the ref blows his whistle, and if you didn't hear a whistle what you did wasn't a foul.
I disagree he should have continued to foul.  That would have opened up MarshMello for a 3 shot continuation foul call.  Doc Rivers said he should have done the "wrap up" foul.  Agree?

Here is a so so gif that only shows the 2nd intentional foul (he fouled Carmello twice and the refs ignored it ::)  ) by Dallas Antonio Wright on Melllow.  Its not so hot a view but it gives you an idea.