Author Topic: Who Will Coach The Sixers Next Year  (Read 18744 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Who Will Coach The Sixers Next Year
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
I think you can get away with calling someone a color commentator without it being taken out of context and the pc police jumping in.

Offline johnny broad-street

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2009, 01:50:53 PM »
From what I hear the offer is pretty much on the table for Wright on the steady. He hasn't had interest in the past, but they figure if he changes his mind, it's there. I don't think they have any confidence the situation will change though.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2009, 07:56:35 AM »
According to SF1976, Mike Budenholzer (Spurs assistant) and Chris Ford should more than likely get interviews.  He thinks Thibs and Casey are leading the race.  Both impressed in their interviews.   

Avery is apparently holding out for a better job?  Didn't know one was available...

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2009, 10:51:49 AM »
Avery is not a good coach, from what I have seen.  I don't think he was ready when he coached Dallas, and could use some seasoning on someone else's bench.  I hate to say this, but I don't think Cheeks is capable of being a good coach.

It takes someone with good observational skills and good understanding to be a game coach. It helps to be bright and have an opportunistic streak too.

I really hope we go with Thibideau.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2009, 11:26:01 AM »
I don't think he was ready when he coached Dallas

I can see why people have their reservations with Avery, but to say that he wasn't ready when he coached Dallas is a little off. He took Dallas to the finals his first year and won Coach of the Year.  The following season he won 67 games, only to be eliminated in the 1st round by Golden State, which was probably Avery's worst moment.  That being said, he got that team to start defending and they did thrive under him for awhile.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2009, 09:20:01 AM »
I don't think he was ready when he coached Dallas

I can see why people have their reservations with Avery, but to say that he wasn't ready when he coached Dallas is a little off. He took Dallas to the finals his first year and won Coach of the Year.  The following season he won 67 games, only to be eliminated in the 1st round by Golden State, which was probably Avery's worst moment.  That being said, he got that team to start defending and they did thrive under him for awhile.

Yeah and teams couldn't get it done, or did you forget the collapse int the finals vs. the Heat.  Anyone knew that Dallas needed to play defense. Avery has no idea how to exploit match-ups.  It doesn't take much to win with a team so loaded with over the salary cap talent.

Anyone who says Iguodala can't play the 2 is a moron!

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »
I want nothing to do with Avery Johnson.

He inherited a team that was primed to win regardless of the HC and they blew a huge lead in the finals. The next year, they're bounced in the 1st round in a monumental upset.

No thanks.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »
I sort of nixed AJ off the list after listening to his thoughts about the team on the 950AM interview.  Can't say if he is a good coach, but does not seem like the right coach for this team.

BTW, what do you think of trading up to get Rubio- he might be available for the right deal...

Of course by the time Rubio is in his prime Brand will be half way to 70.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »
Rubio - no thanks.  Looking at the way the NBA has evolved, a great passing PG will only get you so far.  Look at the PG's left in the semi-finals:

Magic - Rafer Alston
Cavaliers - Mo Williams
Nuggets - Chauncey Billups - yes, a very good passer and shooter
Lakers - Derek Fisher

I would prefer to spend most of our resources in upgrading our wing shooting, signing or trading for a decent shooting PG and drafting one as well, hopefully both plus defenders.  I would use our available cap space/exceptions, our draft choice and Lou Williams and Jason Smith to target these needs.  I would consider flipping one of the high upside young guys like Speights or even Young if a real upgrade can be achieved (e.g. Al Jefferson type trade for a real superstar).

There seem to be a number of PG's/combo guards in this draft who fit that description.  I would not draft a pass first, shoot poorly, defend poorly type.  They will get you into the early playoffs and that is it (see:  Miller, Andre).

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »
I would be on board to make an aggressive move for Rubio.

Assuming that they'd not be interested in Iguodala or Brand for monetary reasons - I'd be open to disussing anyone else and #17.

Rubio has the chance to be both a special talent and a marketing angle.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2009, 04:32:35 PM »
Personally, I'd go with Dwane Casey of the candidates I've seen thrown out there so far.

Chris Ford?  Doesn't anyone remember how things turned out the LAST time he was in Philly?

Casey should fit Philly.  With a defensive-oriented roster, you'd figure some of what he picked up under Karl and McMillan would be right down the alley of the players on the current roster.  Put an experienced guy with some offensive credentials on the bench beside him, and you should be good - Reggie Theus or Eddie Jordan wouldn't be terrible.  And see if you can grab up Grgurich from wherever he is now for the bench, as well.

I heard rumors of Doug Collins.  Decent coach for his first two or three years wherever he goes - assuming your problem is motivation.  Wrong guy for this job. 

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2009, 10:19:55 AM »
Avery apparently released a statement confirming the Sixers front office had contacted him about the position, but that he was going to remain with ESPN.  Casey in for 2nd interview...

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »
Casey and Jordan both supposedly have had second interviews.  Chris ford still a candidate, team possibly looking to talk to Jeff Van Gundy and/or Doug Collins.  Thibodeau is apparently not in the running anymore.  Damn.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2009, 12:09:43 PM »
Joe:

I didn't know that the problems that Chicago or Detroit had before Collins got there was an issue of motivation...I thought it was that the teams SUCKED.

;D

Is Collins demanding?  Yup.  A bit of a control freak?  Sure - but name me a successful NBA coach who is NOT a control freak.  Is Collins high-maintenance?  That seems to be the "flavor of the month" with the guy, but once the season starts, what the f*ck else does Stefanski have to do anyway?

If it's "all about the Benjamins" (which may very well be the case, knowing the Roberts boys), then this is a non-issue - we're hiring some unemployed puppet who will be happy to have a job.  But if the reason why we are not AGGRESSIVELY going after guys like JVG or Collins is because the REAL "control freak" is Stefanski, then I'm gonna hurl.  What proven, successful coach is going to take over a team where he has absolutely ZERO input on personnel?  Huh?

"Listen, Jeff...Eddie here...yeah, here's the deal - I want you to come in...implement all of the basketball philosophies that made you a successful NBA coach with TWO franchises...but I will have 100% control of EVERY personnel decision...you want me to go out and get you a top-flight defensive PG like Hinrich to put next to Iggy, Thad and Brand...nope, sorry...you've got two more years of Andre Miller - I really LOVE that guy!...will I listen to your input on the draft?  Will I consider what player will give you the best chance with implementing the kind of offense and defense that has made you such a successful coach?  Sure - I'll consider it...and then I'll draft the guy that I want, anyway...because, as you know, I - Ed Stefanski - am the all-knowing, all-powerful grand-poobah of NBA personnel, and as such, I know what players are best for YOU (highly-successful NBA head coach) to succeed..."

"Ummm....Jeff?...Jeff?....Are you still on the phone, Jeff?"

Must...control...rage...

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2009, 07:21:54 PM »
Has mraisman255 ever come out with inside info. before?  B/c he is claiming on realgm that his boy works for WIP and we've hired Eddie Jordan...