Author Topic: Ugh, Ben Gordon's ego  (Read 1408 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Ugh, Ben Gordon's ego
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »
Anyone who is watching the Bulls\Celtics game, is it just me or does it look like Ben Gordon rather force plays than let Rose continue to take over?  There have been two seperate plays where the ball clearly should have went back to Rose but Gordon looked him down to force up a bad pass and a lucky shot (that completely moronic off balanced shot while being defended by 2 people).  Am I just imagining things? 

This is Rose's team.  Ben Gordon had his chance and just is not that type of player.  Thoughts?

Edit:  There has been FOUR plays where Gordon forced it instead of letting Rose create.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:00:21 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Ugh, Ben Gordon's ego
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:07:11 PM »
Anyone who is watching the Bulls\Celtics game, is it just me or does it look like Ben Gordon rather force plays than let Rose continue to take over?  There have been two seperate plays where the ball clearly should have went back to Rose but Gordon looked him down to force up a bad pass and a lucky shot (that completely moronic off balanced shot while being defended by 2 people).  Am I just imagining things? 

This is Rose's team.  Ben Gordon had his chance and just is not that type of player.  Thoughts?

Edit:  There has been FOUR plays where Gordon forced it instead of letting Rose create.

I don't know how much of the series you've watched wk, but the Bulls team seems full of guys who are "me first" types.  Salmons and Thomas have no buisness taking a guy one-on-one off the dribble with 12 seconds left on the clock, yet they seem to do it over and over in critical situations.  Gordon is another one of those guys as well.  Shot first read the situation later.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »
Ben Gordon has demonstrated at times that he can get unbelievably hot, to the point where anything he throws up goes in. But the Bulls aren't a true team yet, they have players but not a true team concept. They need to pull together as a unit if they're going to do anything.

Today showed that they are there with the Garnett-less Celtics. But their margin is very slight. Sublimating ego's is a tough thing. Some players never do it. Others recognize early on that their game is a lot easier when they can rely on others.  Chicago is a young, talented group, who hasn't figured out who their leader is. They better get it together, or I think the Celts will find a way.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »

I don't know how much of the series you've watched wk, but the Bulls team seems full of guys who are "me first" types.  Salmons and Thomas have no buisness taking a guy one-on-one off the dribble with 12 seconds left on the clock, yet they seem to do it over and over in critical situations.  Gordon is another one of those guys as well.  Shot first read the situation later.

First game I've fully watched start to finish.  Though I did get most of game 1 in.   Hell of a game today.  Almost could be it's own thread.  I had to say something about Ben Gordon though.  When I made the thread it was the 1st OT and it was clear he had to be "the man" on the squad.  That T/O under 2 minutes to go in the 4th was caused by his ego.  He rather have made a bad pass then let Rose reset.  Ditto later on when a forced play almost cost them the game.

My problem was that Rose is going to make the right decision and if Gordon is open, Rose will get him the ball.  He did have a bunch of turn overs today but from the 3rd quarter on he was making the right decisions.  He demonstrated that later on by getting a couple assists on drive and kicks.  It wasn't like Rose was just going to the rack with out thinking of others.  That is what Perkins was letting him do.  Where was Vinny Del Negro to tell them "RUN THE OFFENSE" ???????
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 07:17:35 PM »
I agree with WOW, a lot of ego's on this young squad, thing is, Gordon wasn't doing anything Kobe doesn't do, he just doens't have the talent to get away with on a regular basis.

Regardless, that was a terrifically fun game to watch, exciting as anything I've seen thus far in the postseason. What strikes me as a glaring weakness in Chicago's game is the way they let those screens break Allen free, they knew it was coming and they did nothing to stop it, poor defensive switches and Allen ate their lunch from outside.

Personally I would love to see Chicago upset Boston. As much as want revenge for last year, it's clear the Celtics are really struggling without Garnett, hence I want to face the best, and that is Cleveland.
Dan