Author Topic: Sixers vs. Cavs: Anybody care?  (Read 3048 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers vs. Cavs: Anybody care?
« on: April 10, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers vs. Cavs: Anybody care?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 05:02:32 PM »
Not really.. although Sixers win and a Miami loss tonight would certainly resurrect my interest. 

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »
Considering how shorthanded we are, I didn't think they played too bad, but this game was over when we decided to go with Evans and Ratliff as our front court with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:50:32 PM »
Considering how shorthanded we are, I didn't think they played too bad, but this game was over when we decided to go with Evans and Ratliff as our front court with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter. 

Interesting you should mention that, I was at the game iwth my five year old and we left with 2 minutes remaining for that very reason.  The team without Thad and Brand just lacks firepower offensively.  WG is the most useless starting player I have ever seen.  He can defend a little, btu everything else looks like he is going to do something, and except for those rare hot streaks, nothing happens.  He is awful.  I might actually start Ivey over him, he is awful too, but much higher energy.

They kept hanging with the Cavs all night, but whenever they got close, some secondary player on the Cavs would bury a three pointer or two and the lead would pop back up to 7-9 points.  We just have no shooting at this point.

It was interesting to see LBJ for the first time in person.  Having seen Jordan in person several times in his prime, I don't find LeBron to be in his class.  He is fairly unstoppable on offense, like a much quicker Karl Malone who can pass and play SF, but he is more in Barkley's class tha Jordan's.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »
That was a bad game from Lebron.  The refs weren't giving him calls early and he got frustrated.  And I'm sure he didn't like getting posterized by Iggy.  And yeah, Ivey is WAY better than Green because Ivey is at least a plus defender.  Green is an average defender (which is better than most of our team, but that's not saying much), but unless he's on one of those crazy hot streaks, he's totally f'n useless.

Our offense right now consists of the Andres and Speights.  That's simply not enough.  Hell, Jason Smith would be really useful right now.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 10:19:20 AM »
Ivey's terribly overrated as a defender.  Effort does not always equal defensive productivity.  I actually think Green's a slightly better defender, although neither are what I would call great.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 10:44:39 AM »
I think Green is clearly a better defensive guard than Miller or Williams, let alone Ivey. He's also a better shooter than Ivey.  With Thad out, I would have liked to see Willie try to drive to the hoop, and generate assists, which he has started doing.

The Sixers defense does not stay with their man.  That's why these other players get open. They should stop helping so much and that would do more to pressure their style of offense- they're not particularly good off the dribble, so jump on their passing instead.

The Sixers lacked enough offensive punch, and had too little defensive stopping power.  They were doing better when Speights was in instead of Evans. But Ivey and Ratliff kill them when they're on the court. 

We really need another SF, Center, and a PG replacement for Miller who's really starting to mail it in.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 09:50:23 AM »
If you add Brand, Thad and Jason Smith back into this team I would concentrate on getting a scoring/shooting swing man (sixth man) and a starting PG who fits with the team's needs.  Considering this is a fairly weak draft and if we don't trade away any youngsters other than Lou, then I would be OK using our first rounder, Lou and a salary to get what we need in a trade and one MLE signing.  I am a big draft nut, but it is time to get some ready for prime time players to go with a team that should be in its prime or heading there next year.  Plus we can always buy a second rounder to have a developmental guy, they have done a relatively good job with that in past years.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 01:03:58 PM »
If you add Brand, Thad and Jason Smith back into this team I would concentrate on getting a scoring/shooting swing man (sixth man) and a starting PG who fits with the team's needs.  Considering this is a fairly weak draft and if we don't trade away any youngsters other than Lou, then I would be OK using our first rounder, Lou and a salary to get what we need in a trade and one MLE signing.  I am a big draft nut, but it is time to get some ready for prime time players to go with a team that should be in its prime or heading there next year.  Plus we can always buy a second rounder to have a developmental guy, they have done a relatively good job with that in past years.

I'm all about packaging our 1st with Lou if it nets us a prime time guy.  I wouldn't mind using that package to try and pry TJ Ford away from Indiana. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 11:04:57 PM »
Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?
It is the Sixers duty to try and protect the 1986 Celtics 40-1 home record record.

1980-86 Celts-6ers teams simply the best ever.  Had to be in the same Division hence their battles were the NBA Finals most years.
You oldtimers know what i mean and you whippersnappers need to view ESPN classic if not already done.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 10:05:13 PM »
You shall be allowed to live, Sixers and board fans.