Author Topic: GNobili out for year. Spurs done?  (Read 7166 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
GNobili out for year. Spurs done?
« on: April 06, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »
If the Spurs were not already done, are they now?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4047838
"The Spurs said tests showed Ginobili had an increased narrow edema and stress fracture in his right distal fibula."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: GNobili out for year. Spurs done?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:40:30 PM »
Yes they are done, they have ZERO shot this year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:54:04 PM »
I'll still give them a 5% chance.

One, and probably the one and only silver lining out of this, is Moronovich will now have to play Roger Mason at the 2 again.
Mason was doing great there all year long, then Cementhead decided to bench rookie George Hill (who was also doing well) and force Mason to play backup point guard.  It messed up Mason big time, also shot GHills confidence.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:34:43 PM »
I'll still give them a 5% chance.

One, and probably the one and only silver lining out of this, is Moronovich will now have to play Roger Mason at the 2 again.
Mason was doing great there all year long, then Cementhead decided to bench rookie George Hill (who was also doing well) and force Mason to play backup point guard.  It messed up Mason big time, also shot GHills confidence.

The playoffs are a very different story but I agree that changing things up this late is not a good thing.  One thing to keep in mind is that some playing time for the newbies was out of nececity becasue of injuries.  IMO those guys are not going to help the Spurs because Manu's greatest strength is his versatility, no way Mason can provide what Manu did, at best Mason can provide some good outside shooting and that's about it.  Tough break for the Spurs.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:46:16 AM »
That's too bad.  That really kills the Spurs chances and makes the playoffs a lot duller.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:12:54 AM »
It only makes the playoffs a bit duller for Spurs fans.  It will also open an opportunity for a lower seed to have a chance at an upset, which will actually add to the excitement.

Manu really brings a lot to the game, difficult to guard to stay up with, he is a real asset on offense.  Not having him, puts more pressure on Parker to be a distributor and demands more of Mason than the ability to hit a long shot.

A lot of people considered SA an elite team.  To me, they lost that status when they stopped competing with LA for best record in the West.  I've also seen them lose games to teams that would never have beaten them in years past.

When their big three are healthy they are a very good team, but without a better supporting cast they aren't elite any longer.

I the meantime, I also think that Orlando is going to push it's way up into elite status.  The Cavaliers, who handled the Spurs with no problem, were blown out a few nights before by the Magic. They have recovered from the loss of Jameer, and are healthier and hungrier than Boston and better than Cleveland.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:15:09 AM »
Yes, it kills their chances.

Except for Parker there is no other player with the ability to create for others the way Ginobili does.

I would try to explain why the Spurs have been experimenting for the past 2-3 weeks while incorporating a new player (Gooden) and trying to get the new players (Mason/Hill) used to playing with Manu.  As well as give Manu time with the starters since that is the normal end of game lineup.  But all it would do is start some inane argument with posters who don't understand the fine tuning aspects of coaching.  Or the nuances of matchups.  Sunday was a fine example. Does anyone really think that if the Spurs were playing the Cavs for the title that Duncan would play only 26 minutes?  Or that Pop goes 11 deep on the bench?

BTW the Spurs still have enough to make the WCF.  But I would bet the Lakers eliminate them 4-1.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:21:12 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »
IT'S GLOBAL WARMING, I TELL YOU!  GLOBAL WARMING IS KILLING THE POLAR BEARS!

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 10:12:26 AM »
Honeslty the Spurs were not looking good even WITH Manu in the last few games so I don't see this really affecting anything major.  We may make the second round but I dont see us going further than that.  Tough break for Manu though, next year is the last year of his contract - do the Spurs try to sign him this summer to new contract or let it run out after next year?  How much pull can Manu have after goign against the Spurs last summer and playingfor Argentina instead of resting and then having one long season full of injury.  I would like to see him stay in sa and a new contract worked out.  I get the feeling that the Spurs may look into Manu as trade bait now for next year.  It's just a bad feeling I guess.  This is just not good timing for manu with next year being the last year of his contract.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 10:29:27 AM »
...Manu though, next year is the last year of his contract - do the Spurs try to sign him this summer to new contract or  't see let it run out after next year?  How much pull can Manu have after goign against the Spurs last summer and playingfor Argentina instead of resting and then having one long season full of injury.  I would like to see him stay in sa and a new contract worked out.  I get the feeling that the Spurs may look into Manu as trade bait now for next year.  It's just a bad feeling I guess.  This is just not good timing for manu with next year being the last year of his contract.
His trade value just plumetted.  Can't forsee him recovering, having a great 1st half of next season, then getting dealt before the deadline for value.

Also can't see how an extension could be in the Spurs best interests, as this will be two playoffs in a row he's missed/been injured.

It doesnt look good for the Spurs and Manus.  :'( :'(

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:37:03 AM »
You guys are right.  Manu is washed up.  You need to trade him to the Jazz.

These are not the 'droids you're looking for.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 10:38:11 AM »
I am hoping he does not go all grant hill on us, IF he can sit this whole summer and not do ANYTHING, then I think he will be ok next season.  I do think the Spurs would try to get as much as possible for him, he would have an expiring contract, I think the Spurs will package and ship him out.  I would hate to see him go, but I think the move would be done for business.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 10:40:47 AM »

I never said he is washed up.  But this is terrible timing for this injury And I would not put it past the Spurs to ship him.  I think it would be a mistake - big mistake - but it would be a huge gamble to up his pay from 10 mill next season to a new contract for someone with TWO stressed ankles.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 10:43:48 AM »
GNob for Blake Griffin?

Just dreaming.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 11:01:58 AM »

FYI,

I've read that his injury could be career ending.  I guess it has to do with if the fracture is in the joint or not, or how close to the joint. 

I don't know how I would feel as a Spurs fan because IMO this is a direct result of Manu playing in the Olympics.  I would be pissed if it was Kobe or Gasol because I grew up thinking the NBA title is the ultimate goal, not a gold medal in the Olympics but I think this country is in the TINY minority in that regard.

I admit I was proud of Team USA but not as proud as a Lakers NBA title would make me.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"