Author Topic: Can anyone beat the MVP?  (Read 7289 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Can anyone beat the MVP?
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:21:07 AM »
IMO LeBron has the MVP all locked up.  Kobe has been letting Gasol help with the heavy lifting plus Kobe has been fading late in the season.  The only other guy that has a shot at the MVP is Wade but Wade is on a losing team so he should not win it since Kobe didn't win it when he owned the league but was on an average team.

LeBron has been so dominant and consistent this year it seems that the Cavs are destined to win it all this year.  While they did stumble vs the Wizards, they still have been virtually unbeatable at home and it looks like they will have home court throughout the playoffs.

Does anybody think the LeBrons can be beaten in the playoffs this year?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can anyone beat the MVP?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:59:03 AM »
Yes.  I don't even think they are a lock to take the East.

I think they will take the East, and i fear there will be some real Sterny calls to make sure it's Lebron vs Kobe in a ratings bonanza, but no i don't think the Cavs are unbeatable.  And Kobes showed even at home they are not unbeatable.  ;)
I do find it impossible to equate them with '86 Celts 41-1 home record and Championship run.  We shall see.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:59:03 AM »
The Cavs are a good team in spite of their loss to the Wizards.  But they don't look unbeatable to me.  Regular season records are one thing, but playoff wins are something else.  The Cavaliers still have to prove it to the league and they haven't done that yet.

It's good that the Lakers and Cavs are close enough in the standings to keep each other interested.  Is home court more important then getting your starters some rest? The Celtics already decided to shut KG down.

Really besides LeBron, who do they have?  Maybe Mo Williams, but after that is there anyone else on the team in the top 10?  Surprisingly, if you look at their performance at 82 games, it says that at 4 of their 5 positions they are ranked 7 or better!  For the most part, they really are outplaying other teams, and not just at Lebron's position. Only Boston has a comparable per comparison.

Right now, the Cavs and Celtics look like the best teams in basketball, but LA and Orlando aren't that far behind.  If the Lakers can get Bynum back, that might be enough to put them over the top.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
The Cavs haven't proved they can win playoffs?  In the last three years they have been eliminated in a game 7 of the conference semifinals, made the finals, and eliminated in game 7 of the conference finals by the eventual champion. 

I believe that they will take it all this year.   That said I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers win it either.  Anyone else would surprise me.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »
The Cavs are a good team in spite of their loss to the Wizards.  But they don't look unbeatable to me.  Regular season records are one thing, but playoff wins are something else.  The Cavaliers still have to prove it to the league and they haven't done that yet.

Where have you been over the past 3 years?   ::)  I do agree that it remains to be seen how the new supporting cast responds to teams trying to shutdown LeBron with double and triple teams but IMO the fact that they will have HC all the way through the playoffs is going to reduce the "playoff jitters" for the new guys. 

It's good that the Lakers and Cavs are close enough in the standings to keep each other interested.  Is home court more important then getting your starters some rest? The Celtics already decided to shut KG down.

If you have a shot at HC then the answer is Yes.  The Celtics shut KG down because ONE, he's HURT, and two they had no realistic shot at catching the Cavs.  It looks like the Celtics are not even going to have HC vs the Magic if they meet.  IMO the Celtics can not beat the Cavs if the Cavs have HC.  The EC is a done deal IMO.

Really besides LeBron, who do they have?  Maybe Mo Williams, but after that is there anyone else on the team in the top 10?  Surprisingly, if you look at their performance at 82 games, it says that at 4 of their 5 positions they are ranked 7 or better!  For the most part, they really are outplaying other teams, and not just at Lebron's position. Only Boston has a comparable per comparison.

Besides LeBron, the Cavs have decent players at PG/SG/C.  The rest of the squad looks suspect but IMO they are the best TEAM in basketball.  The Celtics/Lakers/Jazz/Spurs have better TALENT but the Cavs are a very cohesive unit and are clearly the best team in basketball. 

Right now, the Cavs and Celtics look like the best teams in basketball, but LA and Orlando aren't that far behind.  If the Lakers can get Bynum back, that might be enough to put them over the top.

The Celtics are not in the same class as the Lakers let alone the Cavs.  IMO, even with a healthy KG they would not get past the Cavs or Lakers.  IMO the Celtics would have a very hard time against the Spurs.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 01:33:40 PM »
The Cavs haven't proved they can win playoffs?  In the last three years they have been eliminated in a game 7 of the conference semifinals, made the finals, and eliminated in game 7 of the conference finals by the eventual champion. 

I believe that they will take it all this year.   That said I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers win it either.  Anyone else would surprise me.

Thumbs up!!
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 02:42:19 PM »
Celts able to flip switch come playoffs?

I would say pampered prima donna Paul Pierce will kill the Celts b-u-t, he sure surprised last year.

Spurs able to....nevermind.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 03:07:05 PM »
I'm not going to dismiss any team that's the defending world champions and is going to win 60 games even with KG missing 19.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 03:46:21 PM »
^^ yeah i wonder if the Celts are purposely downplaying the reg season, ala Dr J 6ers who got close 80-82 but missed then decided to put all emphasis on the post season vs reg season.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 03:56:51 PM »
^^ yeah i wonder if the Celts are purposely downplaying the reg season, ala Dr J 6ers who got close 80-82 but missed then decided to put all emphasis on the post season vs reg season.

This is completely different.  Those teams had never won a championship. The Celtics did last season, they still have their same big 3 or will during the playoffs and as Dabods said, 60 games THIS SEASON.  Until someone beats them they're the team to beat, and aren't nearly as worried about home court.

Not in the same class as the Lakers and Cavs, you're right, they're a cut above, having actually won it last season!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 06:53:29 PM »
Not in the same class as the Lakers and Cavs, you're right, they're a cut above, having actually won it last season!

No dominant superstar and no bench, the Celtics are not in the same class as last years Celtics let alone this years Cavs/Lakers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 11:27:40 AM »

This is completely different.  Those teams had never won a championship. The Celtics did last season, they still have their same big 3 or will during the playoffs and as Dabods said, 60 games THIS SEASON.  Until someone beats them they're the team to beat, and aren't nearly as worried about home court.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?  :D
That was my point.

Well, at press time The Lebrons have dropped another game (To Orlando by 30 last night) and lead the Lakers by only 1, which they have to maintain as Lakers win the tiebreaker.  How do the Cavs stop the mini slide?  Not to worry Lebrons, Greg Popavich is coming to town Sunday.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 02:28:21 PM »
I've probably watched less basketball this season than the last 4 or so years, so here my predictions which should be taken with a grain of salt.

Celtics with a healthy KG are the best team in the EC.  If he is healthy for the playoff run, I can see the Cavs giving them another good run but ultimately coming up short.  I don't see how Orlando can even compete with the Celts.  Speaking of Orlando, I really think this team is fool's gold.  Howard isn't dominant offensively, but the team is a great defensive team unit.  The problem is they'll face the Celts and Cavs who will overcome Orlando's defense while shutting down their offense.  I don't think Orlando even makes it to the East Finals--and I think losing Nelson hurt them immeasureably.  The Cavs could come out of the East but I think they'll need KG to be really gimpy.

The West is even more of a lock.  The only team in the West that could potentially make the Lakers break a sweat is San Antonio and that's with Parker playing at his highest level and Ginobili at 100%.  The bad news for the Spurs is Duncan isn't even a sure bet to be 100%, much less Ginobili.  With the injuries this year and Bowen massively receding, looks like age is finally catching up to the franchise.  Portland should be the other team that very mildly scares the Lakers only because they match up really well---the problem is they're very inexperienced and will more than likely have a "happy to be here" attitude.  Portland's time is not now.  I like how Millsap and Brewer have come along in Utah, but they still tend go as Boozer and Williams go.  Utah will need to play with an urgency I've yet to see from them the past couple of years to make any sort of noise this year.  For the record, I'm still waiting for Boozer to be traded for a 25 ppg two-guard.  In all honesty, the Lakers should steam roll the West.  With Odom and, especially, Gasol playing inspiring basketball and Kobe being Kobe; there's not a close second out West.

If the Lakers meet the Cavs, it'll be 2007 revisited.  The Cavs will get massacred and probably swept--they just don't have the talent to compete.  They have LeBron and Phil Jackson will pull out all the tricks to stop him.  Even if LeBron were to average 50 ppg in the Finals, I don't think the rest of the team puts up the other 50 it'll take to beat the Lakers.  The Celtics would give the Lakers a better series, especially with a healthy KG, but will eventually succumb.  Not having HC this year will really hurt Boston, and the Lakers will be strengthened by their run last year and the "revenge" factor.  The Lakers will know its their turn and that will decide the close game in the final couple of minutes.       
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 08:19:12 PM »
From your lips to Stern's...err...God's ear Skandy.....

I've probably watched less basketball this season than the last 4 or so years, so here my predictions which should be taken with a grain of salt.

Celtics with a healthy KG are the best team in the EC.  If he is healthy for the playoff run, I can see the Cavs giving them another good run but ultimately coming up short.  I don't see how Orlando can even compete with the Celts.  Speaking of Orlando, I really think this team is fool's gold.  Howard isn't dominant offensively, but the team is a great defensive team unit.  The problem is they'll face the Celts and Cavs who will overcome Orlando's defense while shutting down their offense.  I don't think Orlando even makes it to the East Finals--and I think losing Nelson hurt them immeasureably.  The Cavs could come out of the East but I think they'll need KG to be really gimpy.

IMO the Celtics were better last year.  Their bench has gotten weaker and their big 3 have gotten a year older, as KG's nagging injuries suggest.  The Cavs took the Celtics to the brink despite having nearly zero offense beyond LeBron.  The Cavs are just as good defensively this year and they are exponentially better on offense.  LeBron is better on offense and his defense has greatly improved plus he's got more guys who can not only knock down a shot but can create their own offense.  Healthy or not, the Celtics will go down in flames vs the Cavs.  This is the Cavs year because IMO they are the team that is playing with the "revenge" chip on their shoulders.

The West is even more of a lock.  The only team in the West that could potentially make the Lakers break a sweat is San Antonio and that's with Parker playing at his highest level and Ginobili at 100%.  The bad news for the Spurs is Duncan isn't even a sure bet to be 100%, much less Ginobili.  With the injuries this year and Bowen massively receding, looks like age is finally catching up to the franchise.  Portland should be the other team that very mildly scares the Lakers only because they match up really well---the problem is they're very inexperienced and will more than likely have a "happy to be here" attitude.  Portland's time is not now.  I like how Millsap and Brewer have come along in Utah, but they still tend go as Boozer and Williams go.  Utah will need to play with an urgency I've yet to see from them the past couple of years to make any sort of noise this year.  For the record, I'm still waiting for Boozer to be traded for a 25 ppg two-guard.  In all honesty, the Lakers should steam roll the West.  With Odom and, especially, Gasol playing inspiring basketball and Kobe being Kobe; there's not a close second out West.

IMO the biggest threat to the Lakers is their "we're entilted to a Finals trip" mentality.  At times the Lakers play like it's some sort of "airport security check" inconvenience on their way to the Finals.  That is a dangerous mentality to have and I can see the Blazers/Jazz/Spurs taking advantage of it by stealing one of the first two games at Staples then holding on their own home court.  IMO the Spurs are the most likely to take advantage of that scenario because of their experience and coaching staff.  IMO a healthy Spurs squad, which we have not seen all year for more than a few games, is the biggest threat to the Lakers.

If the Lakers meet the Cavs, it'll be 2007 revisited.  The Cavs will get massacred and probably swept--they just don't have the talent to compete.  They have LeBron and Phil Jackson will pull out all the tricks to stop him.  Even if LeBron were to average 50 ppg in the Finals, I don't think the rest of the team puts up the other 50 it'll take to beat the Lakers.  The Celtics would give the Lakers a better series, especially with a healthy KG, but will eventually succumb.  Not having HC this year will really hurt Boston, and the Lakers will be strengthened by their run last year and the "revenge" factor.  The Lakers will know its their turn and that will decide the close game in the final couple of minutes.       

IMO the Cavs are going to be too much for the Lakers right now.  They are tougher and play with much more intensity for 48 minutes, I don't see the Lakers stepping up to the plate unless they "grow up" durring the WC playoffs.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 09:11:07 AM »
Dabods I am normally the first person to play the "they're champions until someone beats them card" but for some reason I don't feel that way about the Celtics.  I guess that's mostly due to the oddity of seeing KG not playing for such a long stretch. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:04:51 PM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes