Author Topic: Sixers vs. Hawks: the end of the Sixers season  (Read 3494 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers vs. Hawks: the end of the Sixers season
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:32:30 PM »
Thad Young just sprained his ankle for sure.  Jumped up to contest a Josh Smith hook shot and landed right on Smith's foot.  Looked pretty bad, couldn't put any weight on it.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers vs. Hawks: the end of the Sixers season
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »
It didn't matter, as Speights came to the rescue with 16 points in 25 min. A very good win for the Sixers considering they won it without Thad and his 20 pts.

This shows how important the 5th seed is.  The Sixers are better than the Hawks at their style of ball.

If Thad's injury is serious it will hurt our chances to get that spot.  We were fortunate to get the win as Lou Williams only contributed 4 pts.  As much as we get on Willie Green, he put in 15 himself on 7-9.

Speights should get some more minutes in Thad's absence. That would actually be a good thing since he needs some minutes to be productive. He isn't strong enough to rebound inside in traffic, but at least he's a big body in there, and can get his hand on a lot of balls.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:19:29 PM »
I'm holding my breath until further word on the MRI.  It's really going to be difficult to snag the 5th seed if we're without Thad... even if just for a little while. 

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
In regards to the game, I thought everyone did a good job of stepping up after Thad went down. 

Speights showed some ability to score inside and out, looking comfortable going to jump hooks with either hand. 

Ratliff played large when the Hawks were breathing down our necks.  He's shown some nice energy in recent outings... if we can get these 8-10 minute spurts out of him consistently heading into the playoffs that would be a real bonus.

I really liked the way the Andres played tonight.  Our two leading scorers combine for 18 assists in a game where offense was needed.  They also contributed solid offensive performances to their credit, but they showed tremendous unselfishness to find the most opportune mismatch on each possession.   

Willie Green was an unsung hero in this one

We did a tremendous job of shutting down JJ, Bibby, and Horford.  Josh Smith was certainly the beneficiary... I'm sure Sammy won't want to watch SportsCenter's top 10 tonight...

All in all, between losing Thad and coming off a 2 game skid, it was a gutsy win. 

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:07:52 PM »
Anyone in the Philly area hear if there has been any update on Young's condition?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 02:44:27 PM »
They are supposed to give an update after 4PM.

Offline Sundown

• View Profile

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 05:11:08 PM »
good news..... for Miami.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »
At least he might be back for the play-offs.  And I won't be nearly as dissapointed if they miss out on the 5th seed.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
Yeah, but I thought the 5 seed was definitely within reach.  I suppose it still is, but without Thad the hill just got a whole lot steeper.  No 5 seed means no 2nd round, and given Brand's injury and the coaching change I think a 2nd round appearance would constitute a successful season, and would give us something to build off of next year when Brand is healthy and perhaps a new coach is steering the ship (Avery Johnson anyone?).  Tough break for Thad... he really found himself before the injury. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 05:55:17 PM »
5th seed is fine.  The Sixers can take the Hawks even if they have home-court. The problem is making the 5th seed without Thad's scoring, since it looks like he'll be out until the end of the season.

Iguodala is a fairly reliable scorer, and Miller had been until lately, but it really was Thad and Igs that were winning these last few games. Replacing his 20 pts. isn't that easy.  Obviously if Speghts can come in and give us those 20 pts. it won't be a problem. It seems to me that his offensive ability and his size make him a good combination with Dalembert anyway, so it would be simplest to put him into the starting line-up.

I think that we should see a lot more of Marshall and Ratliff.  I think they can help with the making up for Thad's absent scoring as well, and possibly get some more three point shooting.

Of course all of this depends on either Willie Green or Lou Williams putting up 15-20.  When both of them do it, we usually win, but it seems neither can be counted on from night to night.

I'm not sure how well we can do without Thad, it will require others to step up.  If Speights is up to the task and the coach gives him the opportunity, it will make the Sixers a much tougher out in the playoffs once Thad gets back. 

If we drop into the 6th spot or lower, then we end up facing Boston or Orlando.  They'll have to play one of them eventually, but I'd like a round they can win first.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 05:57:47 PM »
I liked that lineup with Speights and Ratliff the other night... I'd like to see that more often.