Author Topic: Suns vs. Sixers  (Read 4119 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Suns vs. Sixers
« on: March 18, 2009, 06:16:10 PM »
I hate back to back games.  In general it's a rip off for the public since a tired team doesn't play good basketball.  It's good the Sixers are a young team, the only one I'm worried about tonight is Donyell.

It's very important for the Sixers to take this game.  A loss would nullify their great effort last night. A win would help them close the gap with Miami 1.5 games ahead. Miami plays Boston tonight.

An extended win streak by the Sixers is exactly what they need at this point in the season.

Phoenix has been scoring a lot of points, but they haven't been winning. I was unimpressed with them when they came to Phila. earlier. They don't play defense, and the Sixers like to run.  In fact they chased Shaq out of the game by pushing the pace up the last time they met.

Nash has a tough time with Andre Miller.

As long as Iguodala gets his 20+ we should be in good shape.  Thad should have another big game. Lou is ok in up tempo games.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Suns vs. Sixers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
Thad needs to have a big game.  Barnes is good, but he's nowhere near quick enough to keep up with Thad.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:45:41 PM »
I think we'll need BIG Theo and Speights nights.

Do we see more Donyell minutes?  (I'm doubtful.)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
Good start.  Miller can't guard Nash to save his life, but Shaq hasn't been able to put the ball in the bucket.  Thaddeus Young blocked a Shaq dunk attempt.  Maybe the most impressive play I've ever seen from Thad.  Twas ridiculous.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
Speights looking like he's up against the rookie wall.  Missing 2 FTs is inexcusable for a shooter like him.  I think Marshall stole his youth.

66-63 Sixers at the half, hard to complain.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »
Speights has gotten very irregular minutes.  He's not a vet like Donyell who can play well w/o consistent minutes.

I understand why Speights has gotten less minutes, but I also see why he might be a bit off without regular burn.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:51:33 PM »
No defense, no traveling...interesting.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »
Refs decided to give the Suns the game down the stretch. Sixers didn't help themselves either.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:57:02 AM »
Speights hitting the wall...I don't see the hop I fell in love with a couple of months ago.

Iggy looked exhausted by the end.  Actually, they all did.  I guess it is understandable - after being so focused, and having to overcome a couple of double-digit deficits the night before - they just didn't have the legs at the end to close the deal.

A day of rest before each of the next two games...winning both would show me a lot.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 08:50:24 AM »
Speights didn't look too hot last night, but still, he's more worthy of PT than Reggie Evans... I don't care what the situation is, Speights is the superior player and its not even close.  I have no problem with Marshall getting minutes, but he needs to be taking them away from Evans, not Speights.  I'd personally prefer to remove Evans from the rotation entirely. 

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:30:07 AM »
anklebreaker:

I don't disagree with you...all that I am saying is that it looks to me like Speights has hit the wall.

I am fine with giving a big chunk of Evans' minutes to Marshall.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 09:49:33 AM »
Chicken and egg...

Speights up and down minutes and his up and down play.

Young players are more consistent when they get regular minutes.  But at this point the team is fighting for the 5 seed, and is not going to able to be as focussed on player development.  Not the route I would have chosen for the last 2 months of the season... but based on the teams choice at the ttrading deadline, its where we are at.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 10:11:25 AM »
anklebreaker:

I don't disagree with you...all that I am saying is that it looks to me like Speights has hit the wall.

I am fine with giving a big chunk of Evans' minutes to Marshall.

Oh, most definitely.  Speights isn't throwing together consistent games like he was earlier in the season, and his defense/rebounding have been underwhelming to be brutally honest.  It does look like he's hit a wall here, despite sporadic playing time.  That being said, he's still capable of going off on any given night and I think we need an offensive threat down low off the bench more than we need a banger, especially if someone like Ivey is on the floor at the same time. 

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:59:21 AM »
I hear your point about consistent minutes, tk...but watching Speights' less-than-frenetic efforts on defense - not boxing out, lazy, late positioning and fouls and so on - these are the kind of things that should not necessarily be dependent on timing and repetition...I could understand it more if he was a perimeter defender, where things like defending switches and ball reversal may be more a function of knowing who you are on the floor with and how to best execute those defensive schemes.  Speights just looks a step late on just about everything on defense.  Earlier this season, he was actually drawing charges in the low-post (the first big to do that on this team since Shav was healthy)...

I still want him to get material minutes...but with Marshall's recent phoenix-like rise from the bench (and the impact that those maintes have on this team), those minutes have to come from somewhere.  And - based on what I have seen from Speights defensively lately - I don't think there is ANY WAY that you can play Speights and Marshall together...which, in a somewhat-perverted way only guarantees that Evans will continue to get minutes.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 11:02:41 AM »
I thought that it was better for Evans to try to deal with Shaq than Mareese, although he should have had one or two chances to try to defend him and to try and score on him.

Biggest problem for the Sixers is that they weren't getting to the free-throw line with any regularity, and they couldn't stop anybody all night. I think both of these were attributable to fatigue.  It's a shame, since Thad and Lou had good games and so did Andre Miller.  All over 20 pts.  Normally that means a win for the Sixers, but Iguodala only had 11.  It's not that he had a bad game, he only shot 10 times.

This is where they needed Speights last night.  They were with the Suns right until the end of the game when they stopped scoring.  Speights is normally good for 8 pts. in 15 min.  The Sixers could have used those extra pts.! The problem is that the team doesn't always use him the right way.  It's fine for him to get hustle points like put-backs and rebound, but the team should focus on getting him the ball in the post to initiate the offense.  It is late in the season to be doing things like this, but it's better that they do it now than in the playoffs.  It's not like throwing the ball to Dalembert or Evans where the ball might end up out of bounds. He can play out of the post or pass to cutters, and try to get the opposing Center/PF in foul trouble.

I don't know what they're waiting for.  They can win a lot of games during the regular season by running and playing defense, but they still don't have  half court offense they can rely on, and it's because they don't have all the right pieces. They need an inside scorer and Speights is it, and will be even when Brand gets back. He's the only one with the height and the touch on the team to fill that role properly, and it makes no sense to not develop him in that position now, since they have no-one else.

I can't understand why they prefer Willie Green in the line-up, or why they like Thad to play against bigger, stronger players.  I defy the coaching staff to justify their line-up choices.