Author Topic: Kings to Anaheim? Pacers to KC?  (Read 3390 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kings to Anaheim? Pacers to KC?
« on: March 15, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »
According to an NBA executive, there is growing concern inside the Kings organization that if their arena issue isn't resolved, they could end up moving to Anaheim. Anaheim has been hoping to get an NBA team for years, has filled its arena for Lakers exhibition games and Clippers regular-season games, and could attract fans from as far south as San Diego. The Lakers and Clippers, however, could challenge for territorial rights fees, and it could be hard for the Kings to find a spot on television in LA, too. The financially strapped Pacers, who reportedly have lost $200 million since 1983, also could be on the move eventually. San Jose, Kansas City, Seattle, and Las Vegas are potential future NBA homes.

Boston Globe
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Kings to Anaheim? Pacers to KC?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »
According to an NBA executive, there is growing concern inside the Kings organization that if their arena issue isn't resolved, they could end up moving to Anaheim. Anaheim has been hoping to get an NBA team for years, has filled its arena for Lakers exhibition games and Clippers regular-season games, and could attract fans from as far south as San Diego. The Lakers and Clippers, however, could challenge for territorial rights fees, and it could be hard for the Kings to find a spot on television in LA, too. The financially strapped Pacers, who reportedly have lost $200 million since 1983, also could be on the move eventually. San Jose, Kansas City, Seattle, and Las Vegas are potential future NBA homes.

Boston Globe

What?  LA needs to get rid of a team not get another.  Then again, the OC is very rich and hates the step child mentality when it comes to sports.  I thought is was stupid to rename the Angels, maybe this is payback.  The Kings would be withing 20 miles of the Lakers/Clippers if this where to happen.  IMO it's just a buch of BS to get some movement on a Kings arena.  IMO the Clippers will go to Anaheim before the Kings.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 03:13:34 PM »

Boston Globe

What?  LA needs to get rid of a team not get another.  Then again, the OC is very rich and hates the step child mentality when it comes to sports.  I thought is was stupid to rename the Angels, maybe this is payback.  The Kings would be withing 20 miles of the Lakers/Clippers if this where to happen.  IMO it's just a buch of BS to get some movement on a Kings arena.  IMO the Clippers will go to Anaheim before the Kings.

Yet getting the Kings would be step child-esque.  They are much better suited spelling Kings with a C and moving to Corona where there are plenty of cows and rednecks.

Honestly it wouldn't make sense to move the Kings down here.  They wouldn't get supported ahead of the Angels (who are the #1 team in the OC) and the Ducks.  Moving the Clippers up here would make much more sense.  With the Kings going to Las Vegas.  That is a good untapped market for a pro team.  I like to go to Vegas often and I would love to be able to go to a Kings game there personally.  I think others in town may agree it is a different thing to do then attend a show or gamble.

I don't see how Indiana is not the same size market as KC.  Do they think by moving to a city with no basketball team they will get excited and come in droves?  Can't say that I would agree with that.  Unless the team moved and started to be a quality team like it was when Reggie Miller was there it doesn't make sense to me.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
Clips to Anaheim i 2nd the motion.

Sterling will never give up the cash cow Clips tho.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 04:23:12 PM »

I don't know Reality, OC seems to have tons of disposable income.  Last few Clippers games have been half empty, they are actually giving away tickets in the 300's section.  IMO there is more money for the Clips in OC but OC fans might be more demanding since they don't have the Lakers to fall back on.  Seriously, ther is nothing worse than seeing Lakers championship banners durring a Clippers home game.  They go through the trouble of putting out an entirely new cort between Lakers and Clips games but they can't hange some kind of curtain over the Lakers banners?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:42:14 PM »

I don't know Reality, OC seems to have tons of disposable income.  Last few Clippers games have been half empty, they are actually giving away tickets in the 300's section.  IMO there is more money for the Clips in OC but OC fans might be more demanding since they don't have the Lakers to fall back on.  Seriously, ther is nothing worse than seeing Lakers championship banners durring a Clippers home game.  They go through the trouble of putting out an entirely new cort between Lakers and Clips games but they can't hange some kind of curtain over the Lakers banners?

The Clippers would get supported out here.  I don't really have any doubt in my mind.  Kings/Lakers and Ducks/Clippers.  Seperate the basketball teams and the hockey teams.  Should make for easier scheduling for the NHL.

Also, Angels fans would become Clippers fans.  Call them the Los Angeles Clippers of the Area of Anaheim.  People enjoy the Clippers but if you ask an LA resident to choose between Clippers or Lakers they are going to spend that extra money to go to a Laker game.  I think people in OC would pay not to have to drive to LA to see pro basketball stars like Lebron, Wade, Paul, etc.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »
I just read that KC is on the verge of losing the NFL due to budget cuts.  If they can't afford to keep that team there I seriously doubt they could get hold of an NBA team.  So I think KC can be considered out of the picture all together for now.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »
is arco really that bad?  I realize that it's attendance isn't as high as some, and that it probably doesn't have the most boxes, and in this day of the dollar, that's what matters.  But after watching a game at the old Spectrum in Philly last week, I miss the old-fashioned, "not try to be an entertainment complex" sporting venues.  The noise in the spectrum was 100% louder than I've witnessed at the wachovia center, and I'd imagine whatever they replace arco with isn't going to be as good of a place to watch a game either.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:11:06 AM by Derek Bodner »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 12:05:04 PM »
I just read that KC is on the verge of losing the NFL due to budget cuts.  If they can't afford to keep that team there I seriously doubt they could get hold of an NBA team.  So I think KC can be considered out of the picture all together for now.
I thought KC sold out every game?
And the NFL shared tv revenue?

dabods
is arco really that bad?  I realize that it's attendance isn't as high as some, and that it probably doesn't have the most boxes, and in this day of the dollar, that's what matters.  But after watching a game at the old Spectrum in Philly last week, I miss the old-fashioned, "not try to be an entertainment complex" sporting venues.  The noise in the spectrum was 100% louder than I've witnessed at the wachovia center, and I'd imagine whatever they replace arco with isn't going to be as good of a place to watch a game either.
Same with the NFL.  Employees who have gone to every SuperBowl since 1970 (espn, S.I., Sporting News, etc) all said post San Diego SuperBowl of 2002 that it was the best place bar none for a Super.  Cracks in the concrete and all. 

This nonsense that all stadiums must be ultra modern with automatic butt wipers in the luxery boxes is bogus.

I will say The Spectrums sidelines being so close to the court I dont like.  If i ruled the NBA all courts would have 20-30 feet for players to go out of bounds safely.  And foam rubber to fall on.  However I would at present pay to see someone fall out of bounds and break bones of C. Montgomery Burns-Jack Nicholson.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 12:51:46 PM »

dabods
Same with the NFL.  Employees who have gone to every SuperBowl since 1970 (espn, S.I., Sporting News, etc) all said post San Diego SuperBowl of 2002 that it was the best place bar none for a Super.  Cracks in the concrete and all. 

This nonsense that all stadiums must be ultra modern with automatic butt wipers in the luxery boxes is bogus.

I will say The Spectrums sidelines being so close to the court I dont like.  If i ruled the NBA all courts would have 20-30 feet for players to go out of bounds safely.  And foam rubber to fall on.  However I would at present pay to see someone fall out of bounds and break bones of C. Montgomery Burns-Jack Nicholson.

I will see if the story is still up.  but essentialy the city would be breaking it's lease with the team because the city budget cannot afford to cover costs that the city needs like police, fire dept, etc, AND cover the cost it agreed to for stadium upkeep.  they woudl cut that cost out of the next budget entirely, essentially breaking the lease with the NFL.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 01:06:56 PM »
LOL @ Faility somehow working in a negative shot at something Laker related.

The Kings have wanted a new facility.  JoMal kind of spoke on some of the issues they have been having over the past few years.  That is one of the factors.  I've never been inside Arco but the stadium itself doesn't look "old"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 01:13:50 PM »

dabods

I will see if the story is still up.  but essentialy the city would be breaking it's lease with the team because the city budget cannot afford to cover costs that the city needs like police, fire dept, etc, AND cover the cost it agreed to for stadium upkeep.  they woudl cut that cost out of the next budget entirely, essentially breaking the lease with the NFL.

Can't find it.  I read it the week before last.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »
^^ wow yes please do post when you find it.
I know some KC barbequers.  Didn't know the city was in such tough shape.  The economy, duh.

Will any of this greedy owners foot the bill themselves?  Does Jerrah Jones foot the bill for the new Dallas stadium or did he jam the taxpayers?

Can only laugh at San Diego.  Owner has been whining for years thru his desinated mouthpiece Mark Fabiani.  Now the projected costs have tripled while the tax revenue has decreased.  Should have just built thier own stadium 10 years ago.  Denny Green came on the news and was saying a remodle while continuing to play was the answer.  They did it in Arizona and that turned out just fine.  300 million vs a billion.   I like how that Zona stadium grass escalades outside for sunshine and watering between games.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 03:07:16 PM »
^^ wow yes please do post when you find it.
I know some KC barbequers.  Didn't know the city was in such tough shape.  The economy, duh.

Will any of this greedy owners foot the bill themselves?  Does Jerrah Jones foot the bill for the new Dallas stadium or did he jam the taxpayers?

Can only laugh at San Diego.  Owner has been whining for years thru his desinated mouthpiece Mark Fabiani.  Now the projected costs have tripled while the tax revenue has decreased.  Should have just built thier own stadium 10 years ago.  Denny Green came on the news and was saying a remodle while continuing to play was the answer.  They did it in Arizona and that turned out just fine.  300 million vs a billion.   I like how that Zona stadium grass escalades outside for sunshine and watering between games.

Will try to search after work.  couldn't find anything using google.  can't remember where i read the story either.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »
http://www.kmbc.com/money/18866748/detail.html

Sanders Worried About Losing Chiefs, Royals
Jackson County Executive Says KC Budget Plan Would Break Lease

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Jackson County Executive Mike Sanders said he's concerned the Chiefs and Royals could leave Kansas City because of the city's budget proposal.

Kansas City has an $85 million budget shortfall that has to be fixed by the end of the month.

Thursday, Mayor Mark Funkhouser put forward his plan, which includes eliminating nearly $2 million the city gives each year to the Truman Sports Complex.

"This came with no notice to us. We were unaware that this was even going to be an issue," Sanders said in a KMBZ radio interview. "The money would be the violation. But the fact that we would have violated a substantive provision would mean those leases are now gone ? We would be on a tightrope or a high wire with no safety net."

Sanders said if the city pulls its $2 million annual contribution, it would break the lease and leave the city with no written guarantee keeping the Royals and Chiefs in Kansas City for the long term.

"The teams would then be, to use the sports phrase, free agents to do whatever they wanted to do. Re-negotiate the deal or to not honor any of the provisions of the lease they did not want to honor," Sanders told KMBC's Martin Augustine.

"I don't think it would jeopardize leases," Funkhouser said. "We're trying to focus on services that directly matter to Kansas Citians. For example, our city services, basic services like police. That is a core function. Operating a sports venue is not."

Sanders said he believes the issue will eventually be worked out. He called the Royals and Chiefs "good civic partners."

A Royals representative said team officials are just learning about the issue, and it's too early to comment.

KMBC was unable to get a comment from a Chiefs representative.

The chairman of the Jackson County Sports Authority, Mike Smith, held a news conference Friday to discuss the Funkhouser's proposed cuts to the Royals and Chiefs.

"These stadiums are an economic engine not only for Jackson County, but for Kansas City as well, creating thousands of jobs and generating millions in direct and in-direct state and local taxes," Smith said in a news release. "To curtail the funding by the city, which is used to pay the bonds approved by the voters in 2006, would be to ignore the commitment made by the mayor and council at the time. The county pays the lion's share of the bonds. The city pays a very small part and receives the lion's share of the benefit by having its name on the teams. Note that the teams are not called the Jackson County Royals or the Jackson County Chiefs."