Author Topic: BTW  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
BTW
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:24:19 AM »
The Deron Williams / Chris Paul head-to-head now stands at 10 to 2.  8)
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: BTW
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 11:03:25 AM »
Deron is entirely too strong for him.

Be honest though Ted, do you believe Deron is a better passer than Chris Paul?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
Honestly, I've only watched Paul when he plays Deron, and maybe once against the Lakers last postseason. I did watch him in the Olympics, but I thought Deron played better than him there, too.

As far as I've seen them, I think Paul is a bit better at getting his own shot at most of the league, and they're probably even in passing, IMO. I'd also give Paul the slight edge on defense. But all in all, they're pretty close, and I like Deron's killer instinct. Is double cross over against Allen in crunch time was sick!

I also agree with WoW that Paul racks up big numbers because he has a different role in his offense. The ball is pretty much ALWAYS in his hands. The Jazz offense spreads it out quite a bit (when they're not running the P and R) so guys like AK and Okur end up getting a fair number of assists. On the Hornets, it's all Paul all the time. So I think his numbers may be inflated a tad bit.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:04:20 PM »
D Williams is a great player no doubt.  One the worst mistakes ever made by Portland was trading the D Williams pick for the Martell Webster and Linus Kleiza picks.  In the end doing so allowed us to get Roy, Aldridge and Oden, but it was an abominable decision none the less.  Unfortunately I didn't see it at the time.

Interesting post on Paul and adjusted +/- and defense.

http://sonicscentral.com/apbrmetrics/viewtopic.php?t=2087

I really believe that Win Shares is one of the very best stats for calculating overall contribution of a player.  I prefer to look at Win Shares on a constant 2952 minute basis, (36 minutes for 82 games).  Paul had a WS on that constant basis of 17 last season, meaning he contributed 17 total wins to NO.  Considering that NO had 18 wins the year before he arrived, and immediately improved by 20 wins the next season, and by 39 last season over the year before he arrived, him adding 17 of those wins is not a stretch.  He may have more opportunities to contribute than most players, but one thing about it, he does make those opportunities count.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 03:32:34 PM »
Paul has tons to learn in big games.  The other night at Sthaples the Hornets were up 98-95 with merely 24 seconds to defend.  Got the steal, ball thrown upcourt for the 3 on 1 break.  Paul caught the ball, had only Faggy Fisher in front of him and two other Hornets teamates.  Paul gets a fair amount of bogus calls himself when on O he does his not so little piroette followed by drama Queen falls to the floor and roll.  But if he thinks he is going to get the call vs the West Hollywood Ultra Queen Derek Swisher, that is simply not gonna happen.  As Paul picked up his dribble and jumped up to shoot, he very mistakenly thought he would either a. make the shot or bee. get the foul shots as Swisher slid underneath him initiating contact.  A foul on Fisher all the way?  Of course.  But in reality, you think refs are gonna put their jobs on the line by defying the Marketing Lords and make that call correctly?  Cmon CP3, everyone knows better then that.  You need to realize your pecking order in NBA marketing.

When Paul was in the air and Swisher was Electric Sliding, twas the perfect time to throw a lob pass over to his teamate(s).  Okay, well maybe CP3 can be forgiven for following his instincts and going for the game clinching FTs.  What happens next is *unforgiveable*.  Flamers ball, they head across halfcourt still 98-95.  Earth to Hornets, you cannot be beaten with a two.  Two would be 98-97, you then inbounds, Lakers intentionally foul, you hit your FTs and its 100-97 with Kobme going for the would be game tying trey.  Or game winning 4 point play if any Hornets get within 5 feet of Kobes.  So give up the two, then hit your FTs right?  Nope.  CP3 leaves Swisher wide open for the tying trey at 14 seconds.  Paul misses at the regulation buzzer.
OT Kobme gets the ball tapped away by Posey, Kobes and CP3 chase loose ball.  Kobme stiff arms and shoves CP3 away.  Foul?  Of course as notes Lakerlover Jeff Van Gundy.  But think you're gonna get that call CP3?  As CP falls to the floor he gets frustrated and gives Kobmes legs a little twist.  Tweet!  CP3 rung up immediately for touching Kobes!   Again CP, you've got to know your Marketing pecking order.  Lakers win in OT as WoWkoast and the entourage at their location order celebratory Cosmopolitans all around.

Got to think more CP3.

Deron OTOH stayed home twice in the closing possession, guarding Swishers trey attempts as the Jazz beat the Flamers just before the All Star break.
Will be interesting to see if either the Jazz or Hornets match up with the Marketers in the playoffs.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 04:13:50 PM »
YAWN
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"