C Butler & E Thomas for Outlaw & RLEC
3 (60%)
Mike Miller & J Collins for Diogu & RLEC
0 (0%)
V Carter for Outlaw & RLEC
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 20, 2009, 08:27:34 PM

Author Topic: Portland trade scenarios  (Read 1974 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Portland trade scenarios
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:27:34 PM »
So which deal do you think best suits Portland???  Note RLEC is Raef LaFrentz Expiring Contract

This was from True Hoop via Dwight Jaynes

See what I mean about the Blazers? chances of making a trade that would change the face of the franchise?
February 17th, 2009 by Dwight Jaynes

This from True Hoop this morning, quoting an NBA executive from a Chad Ford column:

?I guarantee you [Blazers GM] Kevin Pritchard has gotten better offers for LaFrentz than the Suns have gotten for [Amare] Stoudemire.?

Amazing, huh?

I guess, ordinarily, here?s where you?d do some kind of statistical comparision of the two players, or talk about how if his jumper is falling, LaFrentz can really help a team.

But LaFrentz is out for the season, and won?t play before his deal expires. Stoudemire is a young, healthy, starting All-Star big man.

Assuming this is really the case ? could there be a clearer sign that in today?s NBA economy, cost-cutting is king?

Ford says the Blazers are getting new offers all the time and that Gerald Wallace, he of the recent collapsed lung, is available:

The focus for the Blazers right now appears to be at the small forward position. It appears that three players ? Gerald Wallace, Caron Butler and Richard Jefferson ? are on Pritchard?s radar screen. A fourth one, Mike Miller, is also a favorite of the Blazers, but the Wolves have been reluctant to include him in a deal.

Sources say the Blazers have intensified their focus on Wallace. He?s young, athletic and physical, and he doesn?t need to score to be an impact player. He has four years and $38 million left on his contract, which is a lot, but given his age and production the past few years, it?s not unreasonable. The problem for the Blazers is that the Bobcats want Portland to take back Nazr Mohammed as part of the deal. That could be a deal-breaker for Pritchard.

Butler might be the best player of the group when he?s healthy. He was an All-Star last year and is excellent in the mid-range game. He too has a reasonable contract, with just two years and $21 million left on his deal. But it?s unclear what the Wizards would want in return and whether they?ll ultimately opt to keep Butler and reevaluate the team when Gilbert Arenas returns. If the Wizards are to make such a deal, certainly they?ll want the Blazers to take back Etan Thomas? contract, and they?ll likely also demand one or two young players from the Blazers. That price might be too high for Portland.

Jefferson is the most available. The Bucks need to clear his salary from their cap if they?re going to re-sign their two restricted free agents this summer: Charlie Villanueva and Ramon Sessions. Sources say there have been conversations that have included both Jefferson and Milwaukee point guard Luke Ridnour, though the talk has quieted down. As a proven scorer and defender who?s played in the NBA Finals, Jefferson has some appeal for the Blazers.

One wild card for the Blazers is Vince Carter. His contract is the most expensive of the group, but Carter has been fantastic this season and would give the Blazers the biggest bang of anyone out there. It appears unlikely the Blazers will go that direction, but New Jersey would certainly listen if Portland wanted to do a deal.

Assuming he?s healthy (and he?s expected back in the lineup tonight), I like Wallace a lot. He?s got a great motor. Works his tail off and is content working to get his own points wherever they are ? off turnovers, the offensive boards, whatever. I?d be a little afraid of Carter.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Portland trade scenarios
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:46:01 AM »
I think Richard Jefferson is by far the best choice.  I think he is a great all around player and a good teammate.  Plus the Blazers would be pretty heavy at every position....
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »
I think Richard Jefferson is by far the best choice.  I think he is a great all around player and a good teammate.  Plus the Blazers would be pretty heavy at every position....

It is amazing how similar Butler and Jefferson are in terms of production. 

I believe we have a couple of demonstrable needs.  We have to get better on the defensive end.  According to basketball reference we are the second best offensive team, but only 19th on defense.  Improving on defense is where we need our biggest help.  That would put Wallace at the top of the list and then Jefferson, and then Butler.

Secondly we need to improve at the point.  The Charlotte deal I have heard is Wallace and Mohommad for Outlaw and LaFrentz.  If it was Wallace and Felton (+ filler say Scott May) for Outlaw, RLEC, and Rodriguez then I am all for it.  Wallace can play SF and PF, which allows for a better rotation for us, plus Felton is a major upgrade over Sergio.  If not then I lean towards Jefferson and Ridnour for the same 3 guys. 
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 12:19:12 PM »

I believe we have a couple of demonstrable needs.  We have to get better on the defensive end.  According to basketball reference we are the second best offensive team, but only 19th on defense.  Improving on defense is where we need our biggest help.  That would put Wallace at the top of the list and then Jefferson, and then Butler.

Secondly we need to improve at the point.  The Charlotte deal I have heard is Wallace and Mohommad for Outlaw and LaFrentz.  If it was Wallace and Felton (+ filler say Scott May) for Outlaw, RLEC, and Rodriguez then I am all for it.  Wallace can play SF and PF, which allows for a better rotation for us, plus Felton is a major upgrade over Sergio.  If not then I lean towards Jefferson and Ridnour for the same 3 guys. 

Offensively they are very similar.  Caron is a bit more athletic than Jefferson is but they both can put the ball in the bucket.  The difference I see between the two is I think Jefferson has a higher basketball IQ.  Caron relies on his athletic ability quite a bit.

You may disagree but I also think Jefferson is the better defender (though slightly).  I think this again has to do with the basketball IQ between the two. 

What do you think of Mike Miller and his ability to give Oden more space to operate in the post by stretching the defense?  Not high on him?

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 01:50:04 PM »

Offensively they are very similar.  Caron is a bit more athletic than Jefferson is but they both can put the ball in the bucket.  The difference I see between the two is I think Jefferson has a higher basketball IQ.  Caron relies on his athletic ability quite a bit.

You may disagree but I also think Jefferson is the better defender (though slightly).  I think this again has to do with the basketball IQ between the two. 

What do you think of Mike Miller and his ability to give Oden more space to operate in the post by stretching the defense?  Not high on him?

I believe Jefferson is a better defender than Butler.  I also think Jefferson could play 10-15 minutes a night as a backup PF against other backup PF's (Ariza, Balkman, Brandon Bass, Kurt Thomas, Landry, Ryan Bowen, Louis Admunson).  If so then that helps our rotations out much more.

I have always thought Miller was a solid player, but defensively he is the worst of the 4.  We need defense, and he isn't going to make up enough offensively to cover his defensive shortcoming, at least compared to the other 4.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »
What about Kirk Heinrich?  You need a PG and he use to play defense (heh).  There was rumors Chicago wanted to move him since they drafted Derrick Rose.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 02:41:37 PM »
What about Kirk Heinrich?  You need a PG and he use to play defense (heh).  There was rumors Chicago wanted to move him since they drafted Derrick Rose.

I would love to add Kirk Hinrich.  He addresses our two biggest needs, an upgrade at PG and an improvement on the defensive end.  There have been discussions of Portland and Chicago since they drafted Rose, so I am sure it is on the radar screen.  I don't see how Chicago can afford to pay him $10 mill a year to be a backup.

AA Mil

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 02:58:04 PM »
I like the deal for Butler.  Then again, I'm very high on Butler.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 03:00:48 PM »
I voted for Butler. 

I'm a huge fan of Richard Jefferson and a  humongous fan of Gerald Wallace.  That should give you an idea how good I think Butler can be.  I do fully admit that his proness to injury the last couple seasons leave me with a sliver of doubt.  While Jefferson isn't as good, he comes to play 80 games every year.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."