Author Topic: Deadline thread  (Read 11881 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Deadline thread
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »
While I don't really like the MIN trade, it would put them around $7-8M under the cap this summer and give them Cardinal's $6.7M expiring to use going into the 2010 summer.

That is presuming they do nothing to replace Miller other than a draft choice and he just walks.  Subtract Miller, Sammy, McCants and Collins next summer and we have about $52.6 million on the books.  The cap this year was $58.7and assuming it goes up a couple of million, we might have more than the MLE to offer, but not by much, and the assumption of a rising cap is anything but sure.  With Cardinal coming off the books in summer 2010 we would have about $43 million on the books, possibly enough to sign a big FA.  But if we re-sign Miller we lose all or most of that flexibility.  If we don't re-sign him or adequately replace him, we lose a lot of games.  To make a really significant amount of flexibility we really need to move Sammy and Reggie if it is going to be a pure salary dump, otherwise, we need a young PG or at least a draft chice coming back our way.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 02:50:01 PM »
Hornets trade Chandler for Wilcox/Smith 9essentially expiring.)

...It could have been sam.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 02:59:30 PM »
Hornets trade Chandler for Wilcox/Smith 9essentially expiring.)

...It could have been sam.

Does Chandler have a 15% trade kicker like Sammy does?  If not, then thank BK for his continued presence on our team.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 03:05:03 PM »
There still is the Minny rumor if you are hoping for a salary dump.

They will be a bit light up front without Sam- but at least they have Theo.

Also, How do you send out Speights/Young at C/PF until Brand retruns.  Does Theo start?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 03:51:14 PM »
There still is the Minny rumor if you are hoping for a salary dump.

They will be a bit light up front without Sam- but at least they have Theo.

Also, How do you send out Speights/Young at C/PF until Brand retruns.  Does Theo start?

I am not fond of the Minny deal as rumored.  Some salary relief, but nothing useful coming back.  The deal for Chandler is considerably better for NO, they get some serious beef up front in Wilcox and Smith to help cover for the absence of Chandler for the rest of this year, Chandler was not having a great year anyway, nad they both have contracts that expire this summer.  The Minny deal gives us Collins and Cardinal who simply can't play and McCants who is pretty much a duplication of WG who will still be here.  Plus we still have Cardinal's contract for close to $7 million on the books next year.  We get weaker this year, get delayed salary relief and no likely keepers in the lot.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »
I agree for the most part- although I would not mind getting rid of Sam.  Unfortunately, getting a decent defensive center to replace him won't be cheap.

Also, Ed said he would not make any trades purely for financial reasons.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 04:04:05 PM »
per ESPN radio:

An ESPN Radio Rumor (Jody Mac) from the philly.com boards:

There is a rumored trade offer:
from the twolves of jason collins,mccants, and brian cardinal for dalembert.

sixers apparently have counter offered dalembert and miller for mike miller,foye,mccants,cardinal,and collins.

No way Minnesota accepts the deal, but I like the way Stefanski is thinking... that is if the rumor has any truth to it.    

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
per ESPN radio:

An ESPN Radio Rumor (Jody Mac) from the philly.com boards:

There is a rumored trade offer:
from the twolves of jason collins,mccants, and brian cardinal for dalembert.

sixers apparently have counter offered dalembert and miller for mike miller,foye,mccants,cardinal,and collins.

No way Minnesota accepts the deal, but I like the way Stefanski is thinking... that is if the rumor has any truth to it.    

The salaries are off by about $5.5 million in that supposed counter-offer.  I am not sure if BYC issues would muck it up, but would you throw Lou Williams in to make the salaries match and the deal more appealing to Minny?  We would be weak up front this year, but might have our PG of the future in Foye and our shooter in Miller.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 04:21:31 PM »
Most rumors never pin down the exact details.  If a counter offer was actually made, I'm sure it's structured differently on both ends. 

I'm not sure I part with Lou since he's got a nice contract and Foye is a RFA after next year.  He is a nice young pg, but losing BOTH Lou and Andre Miller is kind of a killer.  I know we'd also be getting Mike Miller back in return, but his play has been extremely underwhelming this year.  I'd rather throw in a 1st rounder if we could. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 04:29:10 PM »
The salaries are off by about $5.5 million in that supposed counter-offer.

Which actually isn't a problem.  Because of the high amount of salaries (Miller + Dalembert combine to 21.571 million, or thereabouts), the 25% range actually covers 5.5 million.
21.571 * 1.25 = 26.96 million.

We'd have to add about a minimum salary player, at most.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »

Which actually isn't a problem.  Because of the high amount of salaries (Miller + Dalembert combine to 21.571 million, or thereabouts), the 25% range actually covers 5.5 million.

We'd hafta add Rush and Marshall regardless to make roster space.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »
Per SF1976 the "counter offer" for Foye/Miller never happened.  Would be great for the Sixers though...

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 05:38:58 PM »

For some reason I was thinking that the allowable difference was 15% + $100,000, not 25%.  Boy I had all of these rules down pat last summer when we were hot on the FA/trade market, but my memory seems to be slipping a bit.  getting old sucks.

Non-existent offer or not, Lou is the one guy of the young-un's (Thad, Speights, Lou) that I would strongly consider moving in the right deal.  He does have a decent contract, but he's not the future at PG and I would move him in a second in a deal that brought us back a future PG.   He is a nice spark off the bench, but those are not that hard to find and a bit of a luxury if you don't have a starting PG.  Plus his lack of size limits our choice of back-up PG somewhat since he plays a lot at SG.  A back-up PG like Kyle Lowery who can distribute and stop dribble penetration would be a great addition, but would be a poor fit with Lou since they would be a very undersized pairing.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 05:46:02 PM »
For some reason I was thinking that the allowable difference was 15% + $100,000, not 25%.  Boy I had all of these rules down pat last summer when we were hot on the FA/trade market, but my memory seems to be slipping a bit.  getting old sucks.

The previous incarnation of the CBA was 15%+$100k.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
After tonight's game, I really am having a hard time figuring out why we don't want to move Miller for whatever we can get or trade Sam for a box of Ho-Hos.

I mean...really.