Author Topic: Deadline thread  (Read 11876 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Deadline thread
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »
Not expecting much (Rush for "future considerations?")

Anyone actualy expecting a big trade? 

SF runors:

1.  Miller/Evans for Lafrenz/Sergio/Outlaw

2.  Sam/WG/pick for Tyson/Butler

#1 leaves the Sixers w/o a starting PG.
#2 won't happen unless Sam waives his trade kicker.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deadline thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:38:23 AM »
I am increasngly thinking that Stefanski is gonna play "hardball" with Miller...he wants 4 years, and I can't possibly imagine we will give it to him.  We will offer Miller 3/30 and then dare him to take a 50%ish pay cut to be with his son.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:42:43 AM »
I am increasngly thinking that Stefanski is gonna play "hardball" with Miller...he wants 4 years, and I can't possibly imagine we will give it to him.  We will offer Miller 3/30 and then dare him to take a 50%ish pay cut to be with his son.

I will kill many kittens if we sign Miller to 3/30.  We need to let him walk and go after somebody who fits this system better with the full MLE (Sessions or Bibby).  Miller + Brand doesn't work.  Brand isn't going anywhere.  So Miller has to.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »
Ducky:

Perhaps that is the thought...that Stefanski is ready to move forward from Miller...but unless a deal appears that helps us in the future, we just let his deal expire and fix things this summer.

It would be nice to know that is the plan...but I understand why Stefanski can't come out and say it.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 10:12:27 AM »
I think they want to make the playoffs, and won't move Miller unless they get a great return.  It sounds shortsighted, but what are you going to do?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »

I will kill many kittens if we sign Miller to 3/30.  We need to let him walk and go after somebody who fits this system better with the full MLE (Sessions or Bibby).  Miller + Brand doesn't work.  Brand isn't going anywhere.  So Miller has to.

The problem with this scenario is that I highly doubt Sessions or Bibby will be available for the MLE, plus if I recall correctly using the full MLE next summer, even if Miller leaves, would put us in or close to luxury tax territory. 

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:32:13 AM »
Just posted this in another thread, but Sixerfan posted an update recently saying we turned down an offer from Golden State that would have sent Miller and Rush to GS in exchange for Maggette and Marcus Williams.  Interesting. 

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:41:46 AM »
plus if I recall correctly using the full MLE next summer, even if Miller leaves, would put us in or close to luxury tax territory. 

If Miller walks they will be a couple Mil UNDER the cap.  They still would only have the MLE to use (and the smaller exemptions), but would be well under the tax.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 10:50:10 AM »
plus if I recall correctly using the full MLE next summer, even if Miller leaves, would put us in or close to luxury tax territory. 

If Miller walks they will be a couple Mil UNDER the cap.  They still would only have the MLE to use (and the smaller exemptions), but would be well under the tax.

Good, because it was your stuff I was trying to recall, with a distinct lack of clarity.  It will be interesting to see if FA salaries are depressed this summer because of the economy nad everyone waiting for 2010.  I expect a number of guys who are untradable now because of BYC issues to hit the trade market this summer, with Monta ellis being Exhibit 1.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:56:36 AM »
Hey - they got away with it in baseball this past offseason.  You don't think that NBA owners paid attention to the big decline in FA salaries in MLB this winter?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »
They need help at both point guard and center. One rumored trade I've heard: McCants, Collins and Brian Cardinal for the Sixers' Samuel Dalembert, who would give Minnesota shot-blocking and athleticism in the frontcourt. But is he worth the two years and $25 million left on his contract?

Source: ESPN (Chad Ford)

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 12:10:01 PM »
I could be wrong, but I thought that a team had to be over the cap in order to use the MLE - I believe that if Miller walks, they will be just under the cap.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 12:27:30 PM »
They need help at both point guard and center. One rumored trade I've heard: McCants, Collins and Brian Cardinal for the Sixers' Samuel Dalembert, who would give Minnesota shot-blocking and athleticism in the frontcourt. But is he worth the two years and $25 million left on his contract?

Source: ESPN (Chad Ford)

Considering the source, I am not sure how much credibility to give this one.  It looks like a pure salary dump, with crap coming back.  McCants might be a better version of WG, but unless we dump Wg somewhere else, it makes for a croded minutes situation on the wing.  Plus McCants is an RFA this summer I believe, so if he is any good you are going to re-sign him and eat into your savings from Sammy's contract.  The team would get worse for the rest of this year, still would not have a PG of the future (unless this allows them to overpay Miller to stay) and a big hole in the middle.  I'm not to excited about such a deal.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »
While I don't really like the MIN trade, it would put them around $7-8M under the cap this summer and give them Cardinal's $6.7M expiring to use going into the 2010 summer.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
Carolina, all teams get the MLE, but it gets subtracted from their cap space.

So if the MLE is 5M, and you have 12M under the cap, you end up with the 5M MLE + 7M unless you renounce the MLE.

So if the Sixers end up 2M under the cap they can use up the the entire MLE.  They cannot first use the 2M and then the MLE. In order to use the 2M they would have to renounce 2M worth of the MLE.

Sounds more complicated than it needs to be.  Basically, uless you have more cap space than the MLE, you get to use up to the MLE.  The other exceptions work the same way.  You just cannot double dip.  The only other way to go over the cap is to use your Bird rights, but then cap holds come into play.