Author Topic: OT - ? posted in general discussion  (Read 4635 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
OT - ? posted in general discussion
« on: February 16, 2009, 12:02:51 PM »
Any opinions on the Palm Pre would be appreciated..
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - ? posted in general discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 01:42:38 PM »
Have not seen one/got to play with one.  From what I've read online from others they are pretty excited about the phone.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
I'm slightly excited.  I still have an old, trusty palm treo, and while I like the phone, the Palm OS is seriously showing its age. 

I've been hearing about their new Linux OS for years, and it always seemed like it was just a rumor.  Actually having seen videos of a working demo of the Pre online I was a bit shocked.  And happy.  It looked nice.

I've never really been an iPhone fan.  It's productivity and PIM apps aren't up to snuff, and that's my primary use of a phone these days (along with email).  I also can't stand a virtual keyboard.  But the screen on the iphone is simply gorgeous.  If I can get that screen, with a dropdown keyboard, and goodl, old fashioned palm calendar, todo, and a solid email client, I'll be happy.

A little upset that there isn't expandable storage though.  But then again, I don't need mine to double as an MP3 player.

With I had been playing closer attention to the launch announcement though.  PALM's stock price went form about $1.40 in Dec. to $8 in mid-january when the phone was announced. 

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:18:41 PM »
I'm slightly excited.  I still have an old, trusty palm treo, and while I like the phone, the Palm OS is seriously showing its age. 

I've been hearing about their new Linux OS for years, and it always seemed like it was just a rumor.  Actually having seen videos of a working demo of the Pre online I was a bit shocked.  And happy.  It looked nice.

I've never really been an iPhone fan.  It's productivity and PIM apps aren't up to snuff, and that's my primary use of a phone these days (along with email).  I also can't stand a virtual keyboard.  But the screen on the iphone is simply gorgeous.  If I can get that screen, with a dropdown keyboard, and goodl, old fashioned palm calendar, todo, and a solid email client, I'll be happy.

A little upset that there isn't expandable storage though.  But then again, I don't need mine to double as an MP3 player.

With I had been playing closer attention to the launch announcement though.  PALM's stock price went form about $1.40 in Dec. to $8 in mid-january when the phone was announced. 

I was hopeing this past weekend, but it didn't happen, Sprint rep told me in March (more than likely March 15)  I can't imagin they would make us wait too long as Sprint already has the specs up on it's website, plus they are going to release several touch screen phones this year, none that interest me as much as this Pre though.  I also read they will sell a seperate charging base you can just lay the pre on and it will charge it, plus I am hoping the apps store for the Pre becomes just as good as the Apple apps store.  It is also going to support Flash, which Iphone got snubbed on.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 04:56:59 PM »

I had the Treo and as my first official smart phone I liked it.  The only problem is I felt like the OS got passed up by a number of others, including RIM's OS for the Blackberry.  That is part of the reason I switched.  If Palm address that problem I may fall back to them.  Until then I am either going to stay with RIM or get an Android-powered phone.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:04:53 PM »
If Palm address that problem I may fall back to them.  Until then I am either going to stay with RIM or get an Android-powered phone.

That's, um....the entire point of the Pre.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 05:13:40 PM »

I had the Treo and as my first official smart phone I liked it.  The only problem is I felt like the OS got passed up by a number of others, including RIM's OS for the Blackberry.  That is part of the reason I switched.  If Palm address that problem I may fall back to them.  Until then I am either going to stay with RIM or get an Android-powered phone.

The new OS is can multi task - and does not slow the phone down while doing so - or so they are saying. 

The only thing that may slow down release fro what I can tell right now is that Apple may sue Palm over the IP.  The whole multitouch is too close to the Iphone's

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
If Palm address that problem I may fall back to them.  Until then I am either going to stay with RIM or get an Android-powered phone.

That's, um....the entire point of the Pre.

Um...just because THEY think it address the problem of the OS doesn't mean I personally will agree.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 05:18:36 PM »
just look up info on the Pre WK, I have found no bad reports from testers, I can only hope that everything they stated is true.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 05:22:45 PM »
Anyone know how well the Pre will work with an Exchange server?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »
just look up info on the Pre WK, I have found no bad reports from testers, I can only hope that everything they stated is true.

I've read the same but I have to test the OS out for a while before I switch from my Blackberry.  I've become very use to how everything is setup and how to configure things. 

I had the chance to play with the Android OS a lot.  I really like it.  Problem is the G1 sucks =/

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 05:35:12 PM »

I've read the same but I have to test the OS out for a while before I switch from my Blackberry.  I've become very use to how everything is setup and how to configure things. 

I had the chance to play with the Android OS a lot.  I really like it.  Problem is the G1 sucks =/

G2 was unveiled at mobile world conference today, I think I read, but it is going to Vodaphone.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 05:38:09 PM »
Anyone know how well the Pre will work with an Exchange server?

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sprint_Palm_Pre_to_get_real_MMS_Exchange_support/1234455040

dont know if this helps, all i could really find right now.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
Windows 7 Beta.
Any of you install this and is it any good?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 06:03:58 PM »
I didn't.  still got the beta sitting there but would need new key to use it.