Author Topic: All-Star Weekend Thread  (Read 4150 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
All-Star Weekend Thread
« on: February 14, 2009, 04:57:48 PM »
Figured we can throw all the comments, thoughts, anything related into one thread.

Things worth noting:

- Dunk Contest with Dwight Howard

- New Horse Event

-  West vs East - We've had our debates about the better conference and while the all-star game is mainly for show I think it is a good way to break down the talent between the two conferences.

- Shaq, Kobe, Phil Jackson back for the first time since they lost to the Pistons in the Finals

- Jason Kapono trying to break the 3 point title record

- AI/Chauncey Swap
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: All-Star Weekend Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:06:27 PM »
worst.3ptcontest.ever

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »
I liked the way during the dunk contest how they wanted Iguodala there.  Reggie said he thought Iggs won it the last time he was in it.  Kenny said he could enter again.  Kenny was the reason he lost it last time, Kenny can go suck an egg.

Nate Robinson did a nice job last night, but again did not deserve to win.  Howard dunks in a 12 foot bucket and Nate jumps over Howard and uses his arm to get himself over Howard.  It's not a comparison, it's subjective nonsense and the fans are a-holes.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 02:48:13 PM »
I liked the way during the dunk contest how they wanted Iguodala there.  Reggie said he thought Iggs won it the last time he was in it.  Kenny said he could enter again.  Kenny was the reason he lost it last time, Kenny can go suck an egg.

Nate Robinson did a nice job last night, but again did not deserve to win.  Howard dunks in a 12 foot bucket and Nate jumps over Howard and uses his arm to get himself over Howard.  It's not a comparison, it's subjective nonsense and the fans are a-holes.

No mention of Lebron doing the dunk contest last year???

Dwight let Nate win by being a good sport.  I applaud both of them for working together to make it a fun show.   Dwight was too far out for Nate to really jump over him and still make the dunk.  His arms are not that long that is why he hit him.  He did not push off his shoulder to get higher.  If you watched the replay you would have seen that.

The rest of the night was ZzZz IMO.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:58:14 AM »
Who do you think was more excited they got the award?  Shaq, Kobe, or Reality?

Shaq said that Kobe told him to take the award home for his sons and he felt that was big for him to be generous like that.  Was mentioning it on Twitter late last night/early this morning.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:09:03 AM »
watching shaq have fun out there was cool, that little pass betwen howards legs and then in for the dink was funny, just because you could see howard talking trash to shaq before it happenned.

I did not watch most of the allstar stuff, had to read Mason was out of the 3 pt contest in the first round, and parker came in last in the skills competition.  Nice to hear Shaq giving props to Robinson - fake or not.  Yao looked like he was going to snap in two out there. 

Anybody enjoy watching the "Wakajoby"?  lol
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 11:36:17 AM »
watching shaq have fun out there was cool, that little pass betwen howards legs and then in for the dink was funny, just because you could see howard talking trash to shaq before it happenned.

I did not watch most of the allstar stuff, had to read Mason was out of the 3 pt contest in the first round, and parker came in last in the skills competition.  Nice to hear Shaq giving props to Robinson - fake or not.  Yao looked like he was going to snap in two out there. 

Anybody enjoy watching the "Wakajoby"?  lol

3pt contest was sooooo boring.  Mason did get knocked out early but he hits those 3s when it really matters so.....no worries.

Did anyone notice the game seemed a bit more serious in the first half, at least defensively, then we are use to seeing?

Sorta felt like the EC gave up after that 3rd quarter run and didn't quite make as good of a game out of it.  If they would have battled back it had the potential to be a classic all-star game.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 01:54:48 PM »
I hate the all star game, and all the hoopla and superfluous nonsense that surrounds it
Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 03:37:37 PM »
I hate the all star game, and all the hoopla and superfluous nonsense that surrounds it

I hear that...it takes away from serious NBA games/discussion.  I watched (only because I was flipping channels) the opening segment on TNT with the Indian shaman calling forth the spirits to do battle in the desert.  Then ended up turning off the tv because there was nothing interesting on. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »

I hear that...it takes away from serious NBA games/discussion.  I watched (only because I was flipping channels) the opening segment on TNT with the Indian shaman calling forth the spirits to do battle in the desert.  Then ended up turning off the tv because there was nothing interesting on. 

You and I both are very intelligent men (your team loyalties notwithstanding)
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 04:48:34 PM »

::)

I respect that you guys don't care for the game but please don't act like you are better than others because you don't get enjoyment out of it.

Personally I take it for what it is, a fun game to watch.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 05:15:32 PM »
I wasn;t going to take the bait, so I just left it alone.  It is just a game.  doesn't mean anything.  Nice to see everyone have a good time out there, even the coaches.  I am glad that Mike Brown got to coach the East.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
I wasn;t going to take the bait, so I just left it alone.  It is just a game.  doesn't mean anything.  Nice to see everyone have a good time out there, even the coaches.  I am glad that Mike Brown got to coach the East.

Sometimes people confuse age with wisdom so "watcha funna do"?  ::)

I didn't watch the Rookie challenge all too much, seemed kind of boring.

The shoot out thing where they had to shoot the half court shot was fun to watch.

The skill contest was such a downer, those guys didn't even try, they so half-arsed the dribbling portion that I almost turned it off.

The 3-pt shooting contest sucked.  That's one of my favs because it's not subjective, it's all about who makes the most shots in the allotted time but the guys were not up to the task.

The dunk contest sucked as well especially since the best dunk of the night got all 8's and one 9 and anytime Howard farted he got all 10's.  The behind the back board dunk by Fernandez was incredible but he was robbed.  Howards 12 foot dunk was cool, it would be cool to have a height dunk contest, see who could dunk on the heighest rim.  LeBron said he could dunk on a 13 1/2 foot rim.  It seemed Dwight didn't even put much effort into the 12 foot dunk so he could probably go another foot at least.

The game was ok, the best play was Shaq going betwen Dwights legs while Dwight was running his mouth.  Classic.  :D
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 11:14:51 PM »

Sometimes people confuse age with wisdom so "watcha funna do"?  ::)

I didn't watch the Rookie challenge all too much, seemed kind of boring.

The shoot out thing where they had to shoot the half court shot was fun to watch.

The skill contest was such a downer, those guys didn't even try, they so half-arsed the dribbling portion that I almost turned it off.

The 3-pt shooting contest sucked.  That's one of my favs because it's not subjective, it's all about who makes the most shots in the allotted time but the guys were not up to the task.

The dunk contest sucked as well especially since the best dunk of the night got all 8's and one 9 and anytime Howard farted he got all 10's.  The behind the back board dunk by Fernandez was incredible but he was robbed.  Howards 12 foot dunk was cool, it would be cool to have a height dunk contest, see who could dunk on the heighest rim.  LeBron said he could dunk on a 13 1/2 foot rim.  It seemed Dwight didn't even put much effort into the 12 foot dunk so he could probably go another foot at least.

The game was ok, the best play was Shaq going betwen Dwights legs while Dwight was running his mouth.  Classic.  :D

That was a, "Naw he d'int !!!"  moment.

As for the dunk contest.  I am waiting for someone to use a catapult from the other side of the court, fire that player full speed, watch him smack full force into the back board, and dunk that ball as he crumples to the ground ....  extreme - maybe, memorable - yes, impossible - possibly  ;), but i'll bet that would be the dunk to end all dunks right there!!!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 09:40:34 AM »

::)

I respect that you guys don't care for the game but please don't act like you are better than others because you don't get enjoyment out of it.

Personally I take it for what it is, a fun game to watch.

My intention was not that "I am better than others" but rather "I have more important things to do with my time".
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues