Author Topic: Sixers - Suns  (Read 5845 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Sixers - Suns
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 01:25:41 PM »

Dantoni, Marion, Diaw and soon Amare.

Don't forget about Raja  8)

I love how a determinant to the Shaq deal was to help them get past San Antonio in the playoffs.  What did that series go last year?  4-1 Spurs?  Their style of play w/ Mike D. did sort of come to a screeching halt in the playoffs, but I'm not sure that less drastic additions/revisions to the roster couldn't have sufficed and kept them in contention, rather than Kerr ripping their identity out entirely. 

To Shaq's credit, he's actually playing better this year than most anticipated giving his age and injury concerns, but nonetheless the team has deviated from their winning ways and their success this season is a far cry from what it was. 

it goes to show how tricky it is to make the move from a "gimmick" team to a complete one.  The Sixers ran into a mini-version of that this year with Brand.  Look at the Showtime Lakers, the Sixers with Moses, etc., it is quite possible to structure a team with a deadly fast break and a go-to big man who helps in the half court.  I worry that the go-go Sixers of today are seen as the way they need to win, when I don't see their system taking them far into the playoffs.  They need to keep working to get the right mix of players so that they can play at any pace and be truly successful.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »
See, I'm just not sure if that's a fair assessment.  Unlike the SSOL (seven seconds or less for those not familiar) Suns, the Sixers focus on defense more than offense.  The SSOL teams (Warriors and Knicks being the most current examples) look to win games 120-115.  The Sixers want to hold their opponents under 90 points.  They have nothing against playing offensively challenged players in the name of defense and rebounding.  It's an interesting combination that I think can take them far into the playoffs because they're really good at messing with a team's rhythm, whether it's jumping passing lanes in the halfcourt or going to the Reggie Evans fullcourt trap.  At this rate, the Sixers can make it to the 4 seed, get a home playoff series against a beatable opponent, and then face off against one of the big 3, all of whom are beatable now IMO (although I'd rather not see the C's).

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »
Ultimately I think it has more to do with talent then system.  Even if the Sixers could go far with a defensively triggered small running team (Like the Showtime Lakers when Worthy played some PF), the team needs more stars to be a contender.  I guess Speights and Thad could become stars, and Iguodala has all but arrived as a secondary star.... Brand was supposed to add the higher level star to the mix, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 02:58:27 PM »
Ultimately I think it has more to do with talent then system.  Even if the Sixers could go far with a defensively triggered small running team (Like the Showtime Lakers when Worthy played some PF), the team needs more stars to be a contender.  I guess Speights and Thad could become stars, and Iguodala has all but arrived as a secondary star.... Brand was supposed to add the higher level star to the mix, but I'm not so sure anymore.

We will know much better next year, the shoulder should be fine and he will be the two full years out from the achilles that other athletes ahve said you really need.  On the other hand he will be a year older.

While I agree that the Sixers play better pressure D than the current Suns, Knicks and Warriors teams, they have problems against teams that protect the ball well and slow things down (think Detroit and Utah), plus as tk said, there is an overall prime talent gap between them and the elite teams at this point.  I think the sixers talent level is very high, but much of it is not ready for prime time talent this year.  One thing I like about the sixers young talent is that most of these guys have good heads on thier shoulders in addition to tons of ability.  The future of the PG spot still bewliders me however.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »
At his point I'm almost hoping they resign Miller to a 2-3 year deal. 

Sure it might be treading water, but if they don't make a trade its better than the alternative of seeing him walk.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:36 PM »
At his point I'm almost hoping they resign Miller to a 2-3 year deal. 

Sure it might be treading water, but if they don't make a trade its better than the alternative of seeing him walk.

I would be fine with him on a two year extended deal.  His contract would expire the same time as Sam, Reggie and Willie and before we spend big on Thad or Speights, plus it would give us two years to acquire a young PG and groom him as Miller's replacement.  Any longer than that and things start getting stickier.  Maybe two years with a buy-out on a third.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 03:58:29 PM »
How do we know that Iguodala is not a superstar?  He may not be recognized as one, but a lot of saber stats love him.  He scores efficiently (hasn't taken 20+ shots in a game this season), involves his teammates (as shown by his AST numbers), crashes the boards, plays great defense, etc.  He may not be recognized as a superstar talent, but I really do think he is.  What he lacks on the offensive end, he more than makes up for by consistently playing great defense.  Just look at the Miami game.  His box score looks like he did very little, but then look at Marion and Jones and you can see Iggy's impact.

As for Miller, I'd rather let him walk and either use him in a S+T or just use the MLE to replace him (Bibby and Sessions could both hit the open market and I think both would be better fits).

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 04:03:52 PM »
Skates:

If we could sign Miller to a two-year deal with a 3rd year buyout, I would be on board.

If not, he needs to be gone.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »
Skates:

If we could sign Miller to a two-year deal with a 3rd year buyout, I would be on board.

Agreed, now somebody tell Ed what we have decided.   :D

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »
Skates:

Agreed, now somebody tell Ed what we have decided.   :D

I'll deliver the message personally.