Author Topic: H.O.R.S.E. at all-star game...  (Read 1945 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
H.O.R.S.E. at all-star game...
« on: February 05, 2009, 12:12:31 AM »
H-O-R-S-E could revitalize NBA All-Star weekend

For years fans and analysts have talked about ways to revive the night before the NBA All-Star Game. In its heyday it was a night where you could watch Larry Bird win the Three-Point Shootout and then see Michael Jordan battle Dominique Wilkins in the Slam Dunk Contest. It was a night more talked about and anticipated than the actual game. Think about it. Everyone remembers Jordan's slam dunk from the free-throw line and Bird winning the three-point contest in his warm-ups but does anyone actually remember what happened the next day during the actual all-star game?

The problem is few all-stars want to actually participate in the Saturday night events (thankfully, Dwight Howard has given the Slam Dunk contest a rebirth) and many of the events are played out at this point.

Well, on Tuesday TNT announced that it will add a live H-O-R-S-E game to its programming lineup during All-Star Saturday Night. The interesting thing is the game, which will be played among three players who will be announced later, will take place outside of the US Airways Center before the official All-Star Saturday Night begins.

That's right. Arguably the most interesting and exciting event of the night isn't officially on the line-up. The game will take place on a 45x50 foot court alongside the network's new NBA on TNT Rig outside the arena.  The best part about this, though, is that the rig can rise up to 14 feet off the ground and rotate. Think about the shots that can be created off this thing -- shots from the top of the rig, shots from the top of the truck holding the rig, shots from the top of the makeshift bleachers next to the court. We haven't seen this kind of potential creativity since Jordan and Bird battled it out for a Big Mac.

The best thing about H-O-R-S-E is that everyone plays it, and nobody loves it more than superstars. Ever watch an NBA All-Star practice? Most of it is guys playing H-O-R-S-E and trying one crazy shot after another. Most teams finish off practices that way as well to break the daily grind of practices and games. No one really engages in three-point shooting contests or slam dunk contests or any of the other convoluted games that now litter the Saturday night lineup ... but everyone, from grade-schoolers to grandfathers, has played H-O-R-S-E.

While many of the game's best players have shied away from engaging in All-Star Saturday Night events in the past, something tells me that TNT will find a way to attract the game's best for this inaugural competition. I'm not saying that it will be Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade -- but I won't be shocked if it is, considering the game will take place on a set that will seat 117 guests and accommodate only a handful of reporters, according to TNT.

This is the sports equivalent of performing at the most exclusive club in Hollywood in front of an audience of your peers. You might not want to do a full-fledged show at a sold-out arena, but there's nothing wrong with jamming in front of a hundred or so friends and a few cameras that just happen to be broadcasting the action to a worldwide audience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hope it will be better than this from back in the day:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sYC2YjK8Mk4
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: H.O.R.S.E. at all-star game...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:56:56 AM »

HATER!

Hope they get creative.  Wonder if they will ban dunks?  For Shaq's sake they better ban FT's.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »

HATER!

Hope they get creative.  Wonder if they will ban dunks?  For Shaq's sake they better ban FT's.

I read one site (can't remember where) that suggested Kobe, Manu and Vince.  Vince would put in the 360s and acrobatic dunks.  Manu adds a left hander's perspective for angles & spins.  And Kobe can hit from about everywhere and with some moves.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
Was it an old mcdonalds commercial where Larry Bird was hitting shots off the score board and all that?  If they went the route of getting super creative, like hitting shots from the stands, then it would be a cool event.

I guess I am in the minority when it comes to Saturday on All-Star weekend.  I pretty much enjoy watching every event.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »

HATER!

LOL

First time I saw that video I was like, "Sweet! the Iceman in a game of horse!"

Then I see them sitting down, doing jump shots,etc.   

I was like, "FAIL!"

:-\ :-\ :-\
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:00:52 PM »
The NBA has announced the contestants:  Durant, Mayo & Joe Johnson.

And WOW...dunks are not allowed.

Three chosen to play H-O-R-S-E

Rookie of the Year Kevin Durant and O.J. Mayo, a favorite for this season's award, highlight the field for a H-O-R-S-E competition during All-Star Saturday night.

Atlanta Hawks guard Joe Johnson is the other competitor in TNT's special event, the network announced Tuesday. Johnson will play in the All-Star Game, while Durant and Mayo were selected for the rookie challenge.

The contest will take place outdoors at the NBA's All-Star Block Party on Saturday in Phoenix before TNT televises the All-Star Saturday night festivities.

If a player makes a shot in H-O-R-S-E, the next competitor must make the same shot or receive a letter. A player gets an 'H' for his first miss and is eliminated once he has all five letters of the word.

Players will have 24 seconds to execute their shots, and an NBA referee will rule if they're done properly. Dunking won't be allowed.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/allstar2009/news/story?id=3896766
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »
Joe Johnson, good choice.  He's a great shooter and I'd love to see what he could pull out of his hat.  The rest? Ehhhh...

I rather see Roger Mason than OJ Mayo!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:42:56 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »
Joe Johnson, good choice.  He's a great shooter and I'd love to see what he could pull out of his hat.  The rest? Ehhhh...

I rather see Roger Mason than OJ Mayo!

In a game of horse I'd like to see Kobe, DWade, and Manu.  It would be fun to watch and interesting to see if Kobe and DWade are better lefties than Manu is a rightie.  Or maybe you have to have Manu call "oposite hand" on his shots.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"