Author Topic: Pop cheats the paying fans in Denver  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Pop cheats the paying fans in Denver
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
And gives away a game. 

Imagine buying tickets to see your division leading Nuggets take on teh Spurs and then the starting lineups are announced.  For the San Antonio Spurs starting at PF: Kurt Thomas.  PG: George Hill  SF: Bruce Bowen  SG: Roger Mason and C: Matt Bonner.  Then as the game unfolds you figure out that Pop has decided to bench 4 of the SPurs top 5 scorers.  A better starting team rack up "DNP-CD":  Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Finley.  Although Manu was "officially" put on the IR with a contusion.

But despite the 9 man roster the Spurs push the Nuggets.  With 2 minutes left in the game the Nuggets are only up 98-94.  The one thing I will give to the Nuggets is that Billups only played 18 minutes before leaving with an injury.  And IMO Billups is the leader of that team.  And possibly their best player.

Pop's reasoning:

Popovich opted to give four of his five top scorers the night off.

Asked about that decision, Popovich first went for a laugh.

Ginobili, he said, was ?legitimately banged up? after suffering a left hip contusion against the Warriors. As for the others?

?Parker makes the All-Star team and becomes hard to deal with, so we?re going to sit him and teach him a lesson,? Popovich joked. ?Duncan says he wants to renegotiate his contract, so I said, ?Sit, I?m not talking to you.? ?

Pressed further, Popovich played coy.

?For a variety of reasons, I don?t think Timmy and Tony should play tonight,? he said.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pop cheats the paying fans in Denver
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:45:16 AM »
Are they really that tired and banged up Lurker?  They have a long break coming up next week.  Something like 5 days off (if my memory is correct, which is rarely is before 8 am)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:50:23 AM »
Are they really that tired and banged up Lurker?  They have a long break coming up next week.  Something like 5 days off (if my memory is correct, which is rarely is before 8 am)

Manu got banged up Monday night against the Warriors.  If it was the playoffs he would have played.  Some factors that I think Pop considered:  it was the 3rd game in 4 nights; Denver is always a tough place for visiting players because of the altitude; the game started less than 24 hours after the Warriors game ended; fatigue can lead to injuries - and look at the ones around the league happening in the last week.

Oh, and Pop felt bad for the Lakers losing Bynum and wanted to give them some breathing room at the top of the standings.   ;)

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:55:04 AM »
They have a long break coming up next week.  Something like 5 days off (if my memory is correct, which is rarely is before 8 am)

They don't play again THIS week until Sunday at noon in Boston.  Then they play Tues & Wed before the All Star break.  But Tony & Tim don't get the AS game off.  And with PJ as coach I'm sure they will play 40 minutes or more.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
They have a long break coming up next week.  Something like 5 days off (if my memory is correct, which is rarely is before 8 am)

They don't play again THIS week until Sunday at noon in Boston.  Then they play Tues & Wed before the All Star break.  But Tony & Tim don't get the AS game off.  And with PJ as coach I'm sure they will play 40 minutes or more.

Yeah 5 days.  You think they will play Tim heavy minutes?  Phil hinted to playing Shaq/Kobe for a while so I wonder if Tim will get some more rest.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:05:47 AM »

Yeah 5 days.  You think they will play Tim heavy minutes?  Phil hinted to playing Shaq/Kobe for a while so I wonder if Tim will get some more rest.

No I don't really think PJ will play anyone that much.  It seems to be some unwritten rule that you give the whole roster about equal minutes.  And you definately don't overplay your top competitors' stars.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:56:28 AM »
One more reason to hate Popovich;  down in Fantasy Basketball to my arch-nemisis, Derek, and Pop decides to bench two of my starters.  Instead of 6 players going yesterday, I end up with 3 folks not going.  Thanks a lot, Pop.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »
One more reason to hate Popovich;  down in Fantasy Basketball to my arch-nemisis, Derek, and Pop decides to bench two of my starters.  Instead of 6 players going yesterday, I end up with 3 folks not going.  Thanks a lot, Pop.

That's what happens when a Jazz fan loads his fantasy team up with Spurs.   ;)
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »

I got a double dose in the FNBA, PopACement and the flu!  >:(
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 10:21:15 AM »
Well, I could have Boozer instead of Duncan, Kirilenko instead of Manu Ginobilli, and then I'd have nobody going other than Al Jefferson.  After all, Kenyon Martin is out, Andrew Bogut is out (minimum of 6 weeks), Jameer Nelson is out (possibly the rest of the season), McGrady will be in and out - apparently his FNBA status determines his NBA status - if he's in in FNBA, he's out in NBA and vice versa - Shaq and Grant Hill take games off unexpectedly...

Fight the dangerous global warming and NBA injuries!  Polar Bears really *ARE* going extinct!

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 03:43:46 PM »
I feel you on the injuries.  With Bynum and Redd gone for the rest of the year I am pretty much toast.  Westtoast to be exact.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 06:29:11 PM »
I feel you on the injuries.  With Bynum and Redd gone for the rest of the year I am pretty much toast.  Westtoast to be exact.

:D

I'm so pissed cause I would not need a full lineup to spank you but I always get "shorted" against Skandypants and his Celtic-like OVERinflated record!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 01:59:18 AM »
Fran Session: Sitting Spurs' stars raises several questions
By Fran Blinebury, for NBA.com
Posted Feb 5 2009 10:31AM

Gregg Popovich gave Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Michael Finley Tuesday night off in Denver.

Did Coach Pop give himself a mini-vacation as well?

After all, he spent the entire night smiling and relaxing on the bench as his San Antonio Spurs "leftovers" put on an entertaining display of hustle and energy. When the TV cameras zoomed in, the only thing missing from Popovich was a ukulele in one hand and an umbrella drink in the other.

They say you can't tell the players without a scorecard. Then again, sometimes you can't tell the winners even with a box score.

Was that victorious coach George Karl who emerged from a heated locker room discussion with his Denver Nuggets following their 104-96 victory over the Spurs?

"I don't think I have anything on my mind except anger," he said.

Meanwhile, Popovich might as well have been lying on a beach with waves lapping at his toes.

Is there such a thing as a good loss? Or maybe a loss that proves a point? Or even a loss that doesn't really mean anything at all?

Those were all the questions that Popovich tossed up into the air with the opening tip when he sent his "Spurs Lite" lineup out onto the floor at the Pepsi Center without a single member of his "Big Three."

Ginobili, he said, was "legitimately banged up" after bruising his left hip the night before at Golden State.

The other two?

"Parker makes the All-Star team and becomes hard to deal with, so we're going to sit him and teach him a lesson," Popovich cracked before the game. "Duncan says he wants to renegotiate his contract, so I said, 'Sit. I'm not talking to you.' "

And for good measure, he let the venerable Finley rest his weary legs, too, even if it did end a streak of 284 consecutive games played.

Then Popovich got coy.

"For a variety of reasons, I don't think Timmy and Tony should play tonight," he said.

It was, after all, just stop No. 48 in the meandering 82-game journey that is the NBA regular season schedule that often has no rhyme or reason.

Was Popovich's motivation to tweak the nose of the schedule-makers at the league office back in New York who had forced his team to play in Oakland -- a high-intensity affair against the up-tempo Warriors that went into overtime -- on Monday night, then lose an hour traveling across a time zone for a Tuesday night game in Denver?

Then toss another log on the silly fire when you consider that the Spurs won't play their next game until Sunday in Boston.

Popovich wasn't copping to anything, just enjoying an evening where he didn't have to wince when one of his All-Stars had to limp off the court with a sprained ankle. That was Denver's Chauncey Billups, and that was just one more reason why Karl's head was ready to explode.

So was it fair to the NBA fans that plopped down their hard-earned dollars in Denver to see Duncan, Parker and Ginobili and instead got Kurt Thomas, George Hill and Ime Udoka?

Was it fair to the spirit of competition throughout the league for the Spurs to mail one in? Except that as Popovich's beatific smile and Karl's post-game rant showed, it was the Nuggets who FedEx-ed in an effort that barely got them to their destination.

Everyone knows it's a hard-knock life for the NBA's fresh princes, being forced to crisscross the country in custom charter jets. Sometimes the geography and the calendar are more than a little wacky.

But in the 1971-72 season, when the Lakers set the all-time record with their 33-game winning streak, they played back-to-back-to-back games -- three in three nights -- on three different occasions.

Popovich doesn't care what they did in the old days. Frankly, he doesn't care about anything that isn't in the absolute best interest of his team right here and now. He has never liked playing all of the corporate games, about making money for the league, about being a good NBA partner. He doesn't really care what others think. He just wants to take care of his players and win. Which is one reason why he's so very, very good.

In a way, it's funny. For so many years, people have complained about having to watch Duncan, Parker and Ginobili's "dull and boring" style while they won championships. Now there are peeps of complaint when you don't get to watch them.

But who won and who really lost? The victory gave the Nuggets the season series 2-1 and the first tie-breaker over the Spurs in a tight Western Conference race. But what did this game prove to San Antonio or to Denver that will matter in the playoffs? In the Nuggets' other win, back in November, Ginobili and Parker were both out. The only time both teams were at full strength, the Spurs went into Denver and whipped the Nuggets by 17.

So do the Nuggets feel that they have an edge in a potential playoff meeting? Have the Spurs given up anything at all?

Go ahead and ask a grinning Popovich. And get him a refill and a new umbrella for his drink while you're at it.

Fran Blinebury covers the NBA for the Houston Chronicle.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"