Author Topic: Bonzi booted from Chinese team  (Read 1526 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bonzi booted from Chinese team
« on: February 02, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »
Why is this not a surprise?

China cage club sacks Bonzi Wells

After ?bad boy? fails to return from holiday

BEIJING -- Chinese basketball team Shanxi Zhongyu has sacked superstar import Bonzi Wells after the former National Basketball Association (NBA) bad boy failed to return from a holiday in his native United States, his club said Monday.

Wells, 32, dubbed by the local media the best player to have ever graced the Chinese Basketball Association after joining Zhongyu in December, had his contract terminated late last week, an employee at the club told Agence France-Presse.

"He should have come back to the club on January 30, but he did not," said the man, who declined to be named.

According to a statement posted on Zhongyu's website over the weekend, Wells -- who was dogged by troublesome on-court behavior and run-ins with coaches during his 10-year NBA career -- went home for a holiday last month.

He was meant to come back on January 27, but asked for a two-day extension to "attend to some personal matters," the statement said.

On January 29, he asked for another extension, which the club agreed to as long as he came back in time for a weekend match.

Wells, however, still failed to return, prompting the cancellation of his one-year contract.

"After friendly talks between the club and Wells and his agents, we unanimously agreed to terminate the contract," the statement said.

Wells admitted in earlier comments to finding it difficult in China, despite averaging 34 points in his 14 games with Zhongyu.

"It was a big cultural shock to me for the first few weeks," he said.

"Since I have been here it has been all business and I haven't had any fun yet, so I am looking for some fun."

Wells had helped lift Zhongyu, who finished last in season 2007-2008, into the top half of the CBA league.

But, in an ominous sign, they got thumped 89-110 by 10th-placed Changchun on Sunday without Wells.

Apart from playing for the NBA in the United States, Wells is famous in China because he played alongside the nation's iconic centre Yao Ming with the Houston Rockets.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bonzi booted from Chinese team
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:20:29 PM »
I wonder what the Chinese saying is that relates to: a leopard never changes its spots.  I'm sure Confuscius addressed it.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
Why do I have a feeling "personal family matters" really translates to "trying to smoke blunts with my people in America"
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 12:54:10 PM »
Why do I have a feeling "personal family matters" really translates to "trying to smoke blunts with my people in America"

He was probably like, "I did not realize how many Chinese people are actually in China..." ::)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »
Well at least they didn't fully fall for the Bonzi Pyramid Scheme heh
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
Well at least they didn't fully fall for the Bonzi Pyramid Scheme heh

lmao....where is the drum roll for that one....lol
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.