Author Topic: Miller & Portland?  (Read 6206 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Miller & Portland?
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:54:01 PM »
Have absolutely no idea who these guys are, but they're saying we've had discussions with Portland about Miller.  They'd obviously have to give more than just LaFrentz's contract.  I have some interest in Bayless, and actually think he'd be a decent fit with Iguodala, and if they're 100% convinced Miller's not going to come back, might be interested in that.  Otherwise, they'd have to take back at least Evans in the deal, and that's again only if I'm convinced Miller doesn't want to return.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
Re: Miller & Portland?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:07:39 PM »
I wouldn't have any interest in Bayless.

IMO, he'd be redundant to Williams - I actually like Williams better going forward.

I know he's hurt right now, but I'd want Blake as part of a deal with Portland.  He's a PG that usually has a good A:TO and he'd be the best 3 pt shooter on the roster Day 1.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:18:11 PM by carolina blue »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:17:01 PM »
I am likewise not sold on Bayless as more than a scorer, he looks tiny out there with alligator arms that won't help on defense.  I think Blake would have to come here in any Portland deal, along with an athletic shooting wing like Outlaw, add in another salary and you have a deal.  Blake gives the team a chance to continue being competitive right now, Outlaw helps and hopefully the other salary is useful or comes with a draft pick that will help us grab our future PG in this summer's draft.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:20:01 PM »
Evans and Miller for Blake and Lafrentz?

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:21:12 PM »
Outlaw would sit behind Iguodala and Young - I'd have no interest there either.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:26:08 PM »
Outlaw might sit behind Iguodala and Young, but I'd rather have his skillset sitting behind Iguodala and Young than Green or Ivey's. 

I don't think Bayless is more than a scorer in this league either, but I think he has quite a bit of talent.  I certainly haven't given up on the promise I saw in college.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 12:03:12 AM »
Portland has two wings in Outlaw and Webster who can run and shoot, I like Outlaw better and he has the shorter contract.  Webster has had injury issues this year, his contract is longer, but like Lou's deal it is at a reasonable market price.  Dabods is right on with Outlaw or Webster, they would be here to replace WG who would hopefully go in the deal if possible.  Outlaw could also play some PF in small line-ups, while Webster is more of a SG-SF type, and both, along with Blake, can shoot the three at a respectable percentage.  Bayless could be another Lou Williams, and while that may be duplicative, if he came in a package deal it would simply mean he or Lou become a future trade asset.

I have no idea if the guys in that blog have any credibility or real info, but I will bite on most Miller to Portland deals because I think that is his most likely destination and had the most options in returning players/contracts/draft picks/draft rights (maybe we get the rights to Kopennen back  ;D).

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 12:30:56 AM »
Webster's out for the year.  So he's not really an option, at least for this year.  I don't know who's available/not from Portland, but there's four guys there who I think could be available: Outlaw, Blake, Bayless, and Batum.  And I'm not sure about Batum.  Looking at their roster, one thing sticks out: Blake is their only unquestionable PG.  I don't think they'd do Lafrentz and Blake for Miller and Green/Evans, so I was looking at third teams, as the article mentioned.  And what do you know, the Thunder happen to work out perfectly!  Add picks as necessary, but I think most of these are generally fair (except maybe to the Thunder, but I personally don't think any of them are more than a protected first apart).

Scenario 1:
Sixers get: Earl Watson and Travis Outlaw
Thunder get: Raef Lafrentz and Jason Smith
Blazers get: Andre Miller and Desmond Mason (expiring injured for season)

Scenario 2:
Sixers get: Earl Watson, Desmond Mason, and Bayless or Batum
Thunder get: Lafrentz and Smith
Blazers get: Andre Miller

I couldn't come up with a reasonable scenario with Blake.  The closest I came was scenario 2, but with the Blazers picking up Chris Wilcox and the Sixers picking up Blake instead of Watson, but there's absolutely no reason why the Thunder would do that, even with some picks added.  Please don't penalize me for excessive use of trade machine >_>

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 10:22:06 AM »
I knew Webster was hurt, but I thought he was coming back soon.  I would prefer not to touch a guy with a long term deal and a bad foot.

Blake, Outlaw and either Channing Frye or Diogu works for Miller and Kareem Rush.  They do have Rodriguez who is a true point gaurd, but can't shoot as well, plus Koponnen stashed over in europe where I believe he has a two or three year deal.  Brandon Roy also handles a lot of the typical PG duties in the half court, although that usually decreses his scoring which they need this year.  In fact they have quite a few unsigned euro draft picks, plus some extra first rounders coming up I believe.  I agree that getting LAfrentz's contract back is unlikely, but might be useful in a three team deal.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
In a three way deal LaFrenz's expiring would be valuable to any team in the league.  I just can't think of an available PG who would be flipped backed to Philly.  Watson is available, but a marginal player.  I'm not interested in Tinsley.  Honestly, Blake may be about as good of an option as anyone, and then hope to groom a good PG from the draft. 

Unfortunately this would represent a step back for the teams competitiveness- especially considering the commitment they made in signing Brand.  But, they are pretty much stuck if they are not resigning Miller.  Letting him walk would be even worse.

Miller/Evans for Lafrenz/Blake works.  At least that clears a bad salary, allowing for more flexibility this summer.  Unfortunately, leaves the team with less overall talent.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 01:13:35 PM »
POR trades Lafrentz and Blake to Philly for Miller and Evans.

Flip Lafrentz to Minnesota for Mike Miller and Rashad McCants.

1 - Blake, Williams, Ivey
2 - Miller, Green, McCants, Rush
3 - Iguodala, Young
4 - Brand, Speights, Marshall
5 - Dalembert, Ratliff

IR - Smith

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 01:23:32 PM »
Sounds great, but I would think they need to give up more than an expiring contract for Mike Miller.  Also, this would put the team up against the luxury tax this summer, meaning probably no MLE signing.  Would you be fine with that roster heading into next year?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 02:19:07 PM »
If we trade Miller and expect to compete this year at a reasonable level, what PG's can we get back that would allow that?  Here is an overly generous list of veteran PG's that could be had directly or in a three team deal like we have discussed here:

Potland - Blake
Minnesota - Telfair
Houston - Alston
Charlotte - Felton
Chicago - Hinrich
OKC - Watson
Memphis - Lowry

Hinrich and Felton would be hard to get and Telfair and Alston played their best basketball on the playground.  I skipped Ridnour, because I think he sucks, and quite a few young guys like Conley, Sessions, George Hill who might be good for the future, but not quite yet.  Blake appears to be the best gap filler to me, although Hill's talent intrigues me if he were available (probably not), he is a decent player, good passer and better shooter.  Not as good all-around as Miller, but decent enough.

I like a deal for Blake, Outlaw and Frye/Diogu because it adds talent to the wing position, gives us a useful PG and clears a few million in cap/tax space.  Bayless, Blake and Frye works as well and gives us another young prospect and more space. 

I highly doubt they would give up Blake, Outlaw and Bayless for Miller, too much talent going one way.  Blake Frye and Diogu works well for MIller, gives us more cap/tax room, but would need to include a draft pick coming our way.  Presume that Kareem Rush gets included in most of these deals for roster purposes.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
telfair's 23 and lowry 22.  Is that really considered veteran these days?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 03:20:30 PM »
According to sf1976, the rumoed deal is miller, evans and rush for Sergio, Outlaw, LaFrentz, and a possible pick.