Author Topic: Prevent the Win defense by Arizona  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Prevent the Win defense by Arizona
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »
Props to Rothy and Pitt reciever on the lob and catch.

Pathetic overly conservative defense by Zona on the final drive.  So the blitz did not work the one and only time they tried it.  Why give it up?

Final play if you are not going to blitz, then for the love of goodness protect the endzone.  One or the other.  Three Cardinal defenders by the ball. ::)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Prevent the Win defense by Arizona
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:29:46 AM »
Have to disagree.  They caught a break when the defender fell down on the play that got them to first and goal, wasn't a big time defensive mistake.  As far as the TD, Ben made a great throw, and Holmes and even better catch.  I was pulling for Warner, but Pittsburgh earned that win.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:58:53 AM »
On the final, it was an excellent toss by Rothy and equally excellent catch by the reciever.
That having been said, why did AZ have 3 players near the vicinity, but no one close enough to even bother the catch? Who were the other two guarding??  Lets recapp.  AZ stopped Pitt on 1st and goal from the 6.  You've got to figure Pitt is going to pass on 2nd down and 6.  You can choose to blitz or not.  Since AZ chose not to blitz, that means that had 6 guys (7?) to cover the endzone.  Completely unacceptable to let a corner endzone route go basically uncovered when you've dedicated 6 guys back (7?) and have 3 of your defenders in the vicinity of the reciever.

Now as to the final drive:
Cardinals had Pitt 1st and 20 with 88 yards to go for the touchdown.  Yet in only 5 plays Pitt is at 1st and goal from the 6.  None of the Pitt plays were spectacular IMO, altho the finale was a perfect toss and catch.  AZ chose to not blitz and it cost them. 

That is some serious Prevent the Win D.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:14:15 AM »
Have to disagree.  They caught a break when the defender fell down on the play that got them to first and goal, wasn't a big time defensive mistake. 
You mean the 40 yard gain to get to the 6.  Okay i missed the AZ defender falling down.
I still say as above tho.

AZ got many a good push into the backfield but they overpersued and let Rothy get away too many times.  Nice sidestepping by Rothy but i meam come on, he's not Fran Tarkington or Michael Vick when it comes to running away from the rush.

I also thought the Larry Fitzgerald catch in the endzone trumped Holmes', but alas Pitt won....

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:06:29 AM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »
In case you missed it, they did blitz, and they did bring more than 4 on a few other plays.  The Pitt front line was just too good and the refs were swalling their "holding" whistles when Pitt was on offense.

The enzone coverage was fine, it took one of the most SPECTACULAR catches I've ever seen to make that play.  They guy only had a couple of inches to make that play, hard to complain about that one.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 10:21:42 AM »
Bringing "more then 4" is not a "blitz".   :D

On the endzone play, tell me what two of the three defenders were doing.  The one did make a play on the ball and yes he did come fairly close to batting it down.  What were the other two doing?  Who were they guarding?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 10:26:46 AM »
Bringing "more then 4" is not a "blitz".   :D

On the endzone play, tell me what two of the three defenders were doing.  The one did make a play on the ball and yes he did come fairly close to batting it down.  What were the other two doing?  Who were they guarding?

How much football do you watch?

You can't double team every reciever, you have to zone some of the guys and then have them go in the direction of the play.  I guess you know as little about football as you do about basketball.  Can't waste time explaining this game to you as well.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 10:37:09 AM »
Waste of time indeed, dumbass.  The ball was hiked at the 6 yard line.

How much space do you think the Cardinals had to defend?

As usual you skirt around.  What exactly where the other two Cardinal defenders doing?  Standing around guarding "space"?  Yes.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 10:46:48 PM »
As usual you skirt around.  What exactly where the other two Cardinal defenders doing?  Standing around guarding "space"?  Yes.

You can't double team every reciever, you have to zone some of the guys and then have them go in the direction of the play.  I guess you know as little about football as you do about basketball.  Can't waste time explaining this game to you as well.

Notice the time-stamp of the PROPERLY quoted posts......that's a pre-OWNAGE.  I own you before you even post...it's like I can see the future.........  ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"