Author Topic: Sixers V.Nets 1/31/09  (Read 2893 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers V.Nets 1/31/09
« on: January 31, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »
It would have been easier to predict the outcome if the Sixers had all their players.  Sam has been a big part of their recent success with his defense and rebounding.  The Sixers should be better than the Nets, they have a better record and better stats, but They've won 4 of the last 6 against us, including two of three here in Philly.

Hopefully Brand can have a big game tonight and put up 20 and 10, but the Sixers will need Speights and Ratliff to keep control over the boars with him.

Iguodala can take it out on the Nets that their player got to be an all star and he didn't. I hope he takes it personally and scores 30+.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers V.Nets 1/31/09
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 09:43:51 PM »
Can we just pretend this game never happened?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 10:31:15 PM »
That was fugly.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 10:45:27 PM »
Yes.  Yes it was.

The crowd's do seem to be filling in a bit more.  Not sure if it's due to the Eagles season ending (and the hoopla about the Phillies now being quite a bit in the review mirror).  Or the improved play.  But there's significantly more there now than at the beginning of the season.  Not a packed house, but probably won't be until the playoffs.

BTW, the 80's and early 90's logo is pretty muich displayed at every chance now.  On the jumbotron.  On the scoreboard.  On the features for the next game.  I'm not sure I saw the "current" logo once tonight. 

(if it seems like I'm avoiding talking about this game, I am.  Completely frustrating).

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 11:42:10 PM »
dabods:

It seems like, over the past week or so,  what seemed to be a strength of DiLeo - his substitution rotation and feel for who needed to be out on the floor - has been more questionable.  In addition, he had been very good at getting good shots out of timeouts...and that seems to have slipped a little bit as well.  Am I reading too much into this (i.e. was this just a remarkably bad 4th quarter and nothing more)?

Also - having been there tonight - what was your sense of Brand's legs?  Do you think DiLeo pulled him because he was gassed and couldn't finish? 

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 01:09:23 AM »
I'm pretty sure Dileo tried everything.  When you make 5 FGs in an ENTIRE HALF, there's not much the coach can do.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 08:23:18 AM »
I'm still having a tough time swallowing that loss.  That was flat out pitiful from top to bottom.  Instead of being 2 games above .500, we're now at .500 with a favorable likelihood of us going back below .500 on Tuesday when we face Boston. 

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »
I don't know if he would have made a difference or not...but I found myself yelling...for 12 minutes, "Tony - where the hell is Green?"

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to the value of Green.  Heck, even I don't love the guy.  But he's one of our few sparks...and can take over a game.  If the current 'sparks' are on the floor and shooting 0 for 57...try the guy sitting next to you.  Ya never know.

Turns out we'd only have needed one bucket from the guy.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »
It's clear that the Sixers didn't try anytjhing else when what they were doing wasn't working.  I honestly can't say what would make a difference, since the officials gave that game to New Jersey.

It's appropriate for the Nets to try to get back in the game by playing tough D, but that doesn't mean the refs shouldn't call fouls on them or call them for illegal D, or call a foul on the Sixers when they have the ball. 

I was able to watch the game again this morning.  The Nets camped out in the Sixers lane, and Iguodala was physically held on some possessions.  This team was up by over 10 pts with 8 min. left and managed 2 points the rest of the way, while NJ scored 11, most of which came from Harris.

There were a couple of put-backs by Lopez that Killed the Sixers.  Speights was out there all alone, when he went to block the shot, no one came to block out Lopez.  Miller made a beautiful drive down the lane to get the ball to Speights at point black range, he went up was hit and the ball went out of bounds.  No call, and NJ threw the ball in and ran down the floor.

It's true that the Sixers made a lot of mistakes down the stretch, but it isn't like NJ scored a lot of points, they only managed 20 in the 4th.  That shouldn't be enough to overcome a 10 pt. deficit, ever.  The only explanation is the referees, who screw the Sixers routinely in every game.  For a team that drives so often they should be among the league leaders in free throws, but they aren't.

New Jersey sucks and had no business winning that game.  The Sixers should have done some things differently.  Not putting in 2 rebounders and defensive blockers in the game is something they do routinely, and they often end up paying for it.  So often that it is puzzling that they continue to do it.  Thad is a great player, bit he is not good at boxing out other bigs, probably because he just isn't physically strong enough. It's a serious mistake and it has to stop.  There was no excuse since Dalembert was able to play.

Still, it was the refs.  They're probably from NJ.  Scum.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »
Don't give the Sixers a pass.

THEY blew it; I'm embarrassed for them.  To even mention the refs deflects the true blame.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »
I know the Knicks have the famous arena in MSG and the bigger name, but if I were a free agent in 2010 that wanted to win a ring I think the Nets are the better NY area team to pick.  Harris is under contract at a reasonable price for a lot of years, Lopez is already the best pure center in the division and has the look of a 12 year all-star to near all-star, extremely solid player.  Thrown in young guys in Yi and Anderson and a high pick this year and they are light years ahead of the Knicks.  Heck, the Knicks don't even own their sure to be very high first rounder in 2010.  The Knicks have some interesting players in Lee and Robinson, but not the franchise bulding blocks like Lopez and Harris.  The Knicks have to hope Gallinari really turns out to be something and that they do well with their pick in this year's fairly weak draft, otherwise they will be trying to build completely from FA which is rarely ever successful.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:48:14 PM by Skates »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
This was only the beginning.  Beware the wrath of the Nets when Ji returns.  ;)

Hey I'm lazy (actually time pressed) s0 please indulge and enlighten me.  What is the Sixers record under Dileo vs Mobert?