Author Topic: Don't Laugh: Brand or Iverson?  (Read 11076 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Laugh: Brand or Iverson?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »
Iverson is the classic square peg.  LB brought together a unique group of complementary players where the whole was much great than the sum of the individual parts.

I'm sure I could find even more trite analogies, but those two will have to suffice. ;D

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »
But isn't he having a better year than Brand?

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 11:19:49 PM »
Ricky:

It has been so long since I've shared a thread like this with you...

Good times...good times...

:D

Let me make my point a bit more clearly.  I don't think I want AI back is because he is ALLEN IVERSON...and I'm not sure we need his tool-box or his secret sauce anymore.  This is a change of opinion for me - earlier this season (when Miller wasn't in NBA shape yet and Iguodala and Lou were struggling), I thought that AI could fill two holes - our PG for a couple of years and a guy to take a shot in the guts of the game.  Now, if I had to choose between giving Miller $15-18 million for two years or signing AI to the MLE, I think I lean to Miller...in part because he has shown me that he can still play with the greyhounds, and in part because I think Thad and Iggy's future development will be stunted (to some extent) if AI were back here.

This is Philly.

If Iverson puts on a Sixers jersey, he's gonna want to take the last shot...and 3 years from now, we will need Thad and Iguodala to have gotten the experience taking those shots that they won't get if AI is here.  Iggy has hit some BIG shots this season.  He might not be ready to hit those shots this May, but I want him to get that experience because in 2-3 years (when AI will probably be gone) he will have to hit those shots if we want to play in June.

I was worried about Brand's return nailing Speights back to the bench, but the 21 minutes Speights got last night has calmed me down a bit.  As Kate Fagan (who I really like) said in her blog today, Speights has to play 12-15 minures.  At. A. Minimum.  If AI replaces Miller at the point, he won't be taking away somebody's minutes (actually...he would probably take a few of Lou's minutes away, now that I think about it), but he will be taking away somebody's swag.

And I don't care if AI has played better than Brand this season.  The question is: if you were an NBA GM, and you had to decide which player to put on your team right now - Allen Iverson or Elton Brand - I think that most GM's would pick Brand.

I know I would.

(and I still think Lou gives you a lot of what AI can give you with less drama...and I love AI)

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2009, 08:46:34 AM »
Bebo:

The topic isn't about Miller or Iverson.  It's about BRAND or Iverson.  And it isn't about the Iverson of old.  It's about him right now.  And - right now - Iverson takes ONE SHOT MORE per game than does Elton.  Thad and Iggy will still get theirs.

And those Speights minutes you yearn for?  The healthier Brand gets the less you'll see 'em.

AI won't be taking minutes from Lou Will.  He'll be taking them from GREEN.  Royal friggin IVEY and Kareem Rush.  (See below.)  Additionally, he'll give this team an identity.  A personality.  Another incredibly dangerous weapon in transition.  And some (desperately needed) leadership.

Behold:

Iggy 36
Andre 35
Iverson 24
Thad 31
Lou Will 22
Willie 14
Speights 18
Sam 23
Evans 9
Royal, Donyell, Kareem, Theo (Total)  28

Pass the Kool-Aid, please.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 09:53:31 AM »
The two biggest keys to this team's recent success has been defense and improved three point shooting.  The defense has been turning on the fast break and the three point shooting has opened up the half court.  A good part of our defense is defending the rim and rebounding, with rebounding equally important on offense to make the three point shooting more efficient (rebound a missed three pointer and convert on that same possession is more efficient IMO).  Iverson is not a great three point shooter and is a horrid defender.  AI would take minutes from both Lou and WG or bitch if he wasn't getting enough minutes.  He has been quiet in Detroit and trying to fit in primarily because it is a veteran laden team with a history of success. Once his emotional high over returning to Philly was gone, he would not have that same kind of respect for his team mates here.

There are good reasons why Denver dumped him and Detroit would be more than happy to as well.  If anything our team is built for now along the Detroit model, nad I see him as a worse fit here than there.

As for how many assists he racks up, he has always been a high assist SG.  But getting assists does not mean you are necessarily running the offense in a way that puts your team mates in positions to succeed.  Miller does that and Iverson would either take the ball pout of Miller's hand or be less effective himself.  You don't rack up all of those points and assists without the ball in your hands.  Iverson's skills off the ball are mediocre at best.

Also, the idea that Iverson will come in and give this team an identity is false.  He is not a dominant enough player to do that and does not have the leadership skills to be a team leader if he is not the dominant player.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 10:54:29 AM »
Iverson is the unique player where his assists don't measure how well he can run an offense, his steals don't reflect how good he plays defense, and his scoring does not reflect his shooting.

He's a great, HOF player.  Its just that you can't compare what he brings to a team by talking about his numbers.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 10:54:38 AM »
I can't argue defense.  And Brand's rebounding make our transition possible.  But I do think AI is a leader; and compared to our leaders?  He's better by a factor of 1,000,000.

I'm not even sold on the hypothetical question, truth be told.  Just throwing it out there because I think we're all a little surprised at Brand's mediocre success thus far, and I for one hate that this team has no personality.  And I mean NO personality.

Onward.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »
I agree that Iverson has gone from being the lead man on a team to a grizzled vet searching for a ring.  There is no way I would trade him for Brand or Miller.

Look, this is very simple.  The Sixers learned how to win last year by playing to their current strengths and they found out they were good enough to make the playoffs, but not do anything other than lose.  So, they decided to add an inside player to give them a better option in the half-court.  The person who should take the last shot in the game should be a big man, since it is harder to stop him without fouling him, and even a miss can result in free-throws.  So, eventually it should be Brand, not Iguodala shooting the last shot.  What is clear is that even without Brand the Sixers did develop a half-court offense under Dileo. It's not at the Celtics or Magics level, yet, but it can be with this group.

You want your highest shooting percentage player taking the last shot.  Brand shoots over 50% from the floor.  Iggs shoots about 46%. Iverson shoots a lousy 41%!  Just because a player is willing to take the shot doesn't mean you should let them.  Iverson's lack of discretion makes him a much less desirable player.  He never won a championship because he is not a good team player.  His poor PER shows that he is a middle of the road guard now.

In the meanwhile Iguodala is arguably the 2nd best player in the entire league.  Check out this from ESPN's True Hoop:  

"Andre Iguodala
Adjusted plus/minus is a tough statistic for most people to internalize. It's plus/minus, but adjusted (with actual science!) for the quality of the other nine players on the floor. Like every measure, it's not perfect, but it does do something important: It at least attempts to encapsulate defense. Anyway, by that measure, Andre Iguodala is the second best player in the NBA. Just something to think about. Not to mention, since the last All-Star team was announced, the Sixers had some nice spells of making some noise in the East."

Now I didn't think that Iguodala deserved to be on the team, because of his performance early in the season. You can justify it any way you want to, but an all-star doesn't stop performing or making things happen, and Iguodala has the physical skills to make things happen.  His PER lags Vince Carters and Devin Harris, but I didn't know about the adjusted plus/minus.  That is a big deal since it is a better overall indicator than PER, since it also incorporates defensive stats that PER can't measure. For example, there is no statistic for defensive pressure, yet it is a big part of the game.  Dalembert may not have impressive stats, but he changes a lot of shots, and that is very important.

Anyway back to Mr. Pryor's thread-

Dalembert  is a significantly better player than Mutumbo was when he anchored the team.  As bad and clumsy as Sam can be, Dikembe was worse, his post move was so slow that you could see it coming long before he got the shot off.  His hands were made of stone. His lateral movement and overall speed are much slower than Sam's. The Sixers won a couple of playoff series with Dikembe, but the team was never as good as it was with Ratliff.

Based on PER and adjusted plus-minus stats, Miller, Iguodala and Williams are all better players than Iverson.  That means based on objective measure, the Sixers got the better end of the trade to get Miller.  That is why I say his offense offsets his defensive performance- the adjusted plus/minus bears that out.

If you can't see that Thad does everything better than Tyrone Hill, I don't think I can help you.  There is not one aspect of Hills game that Thad doesn't do better, and Thad's been in the league for only 2 years. The same goes for George Lynch, although Lynch was a more physical defender.

This version of the Sixers is far more talented and far deeper.  That team had no low-post players on offense.  We have Brand and Speights.  That team had slashers and good team defenders, this team has more of them and better overall talent.  Miller, Williams, and Iguodala are a lot better than McKie, Snow and Iverson.  This current version of the Sixers is as close to an optimal NBA championship team.  Good rebounding and interior defense.  Good running and fast-breaking team.  An adequate outside team, but clearly needs to be better to be a championship group. An above average group of ball handlers and passers with the ability to create their own shot or get to the hoop.

This team should be able to contend for a title.  If they can't then the players aren't quite good enough at their positions.  But since many of them are all rookies or young players, all you can say is that they aren't good enough yet.  Only Miller and Brand are so old that they aren't likely to improve. Even Sam is getting better.  Iguodala continues to get better nearly every game it seems.  He is closing the gap between himself and the elite shooting gards/small forwards. Lou Williams gives you everything Iverson did without the drama, and he's a better team player who continues to improve. Thad Young also gets better every game.  He still hasn't quite put it all together, but he also projects to be an all-star. Speights is a big key as far as I am concerned.  A big man who can score in the low-post is the most valuable player a team in the NBA can get.  By the time the playoffs come about, the Sixers need Speights in the middle as their go-to player at the end of the game. If they do, they should be able to win in the playoffs, and if they can get their outside shooting kicked up a notch-they should compete for the Championship.

I wouldn't change anything about this team, except to make sure we get Miller resigned. Unless we can get an upgrade by trading Willie Green and/or Reggie Evans and Kareem Rush, I wouldn't make a trade. I'd love to pry away Carl Landry from Houston.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
The person who should take the last shot in the game should be a big man, since it is harder to stop him without fouling him, and even a miss can result in free-throws.  So, eventually it should be Brand, not Iguodala shooting the last shot.  

I grew tired of my own thread and so I didn't have the energy to read your entire post.

But with all due respect, this statement simply isn't true.  It just isn't.

The person who should take the last shot is - ALWAYS - the man with the highest percentage chance to make the shot.  Simple as that.  The preference, late with the lead, is for foul shots and lay-ups.  Trailing, you want highest percentage opportunities, discovered while executing with controlled urgency.

Would I prefer Brand take it, 5 feet from the basket...in a likely double-team situation...rather than an open Miller from his 12' comfy spot to the side?  No, of course not.

And the beauty is...a last shot taken with 4-5 seconds left...leaves men like Brand and Sam in offensive board position.  If Brand takes the shot, and misses...there will be no second chance.

And by the way - and this is for everyone - can we stop referring to Brand as a low post, 'inside' guy?  He's a high post guy.  And when he develops a passing game...he'll be deadly from there.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 12:37:50 PM »
Ricky,

It is a true statement, and if you doubt it, look at the teams who have won the NBA championship and who they relied on to take that shot.  About the only one who was not an inside player was Michael Jordan and now Dwayne Wade, and Dwayne had Shaq.

All of the Laker and Celtics dynasties were characterized by a great Center in the middle.  The one they always went to at the end. Because they knew that depending on an official to make a call in a tight game was a mistake, and their outside player would get mugged while the ref swallowed his whistle. THAT IS WHY YOU PUT THE BALL INSIDE for the last shot, always. Brand goes up and scores or gets fouled.  If he misses he's still right there for the rebound. It's true he isn't a true low-post player, but he does score down low.  I have Speights in mind for that position.  I think he is the key to the Sixers success against good teams, although he has yet to prove it yet.

Even the great Sixers teams had a great Center.  Wilt in the first one.  Moses Malone in the second.  All the teams with Caldwell Jones and Darryl Dawkins couldn't do it. They need an inside scorer and that's what put them over the top.

Now you can say that you start with the ball in Iguodala's hands and even have him drive, but not so much with the idea of shooting as drawing the defender to pass over the top to Brand or Speights.  In the end of game situation, I think I would rather have the ball in Iguodala's hands then Williams, even though Lou is a little better at getting to the basket, it's more likely that Iggy would get the call than Lou.  That's fine since both Lou and Thad could spot up for threes.

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »

Now you can say that you start with the ball in Iguodala's hands and even have him drive, but not so much with the idea of shooting as drawing the defender to pass over the top to Brand or Speights. 

When driving, the defenders collapse...making Brand, etc NOT open.  It's outside that the ball gets kicked to.

Sorry...I think I'll end here.  We apparently learned different things from different sources; and that's fine.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »
I for one hate that this team has no personality.  And I mean NO personality.

We each have our own take, and all I can say is I completely disagree.  This team both has a an identity and lots of personality.

Some of the personality can be annoying (like when Iguodala and teammates whine about the refs.)  But, IMO Iguodala, Lou, Speights and Evans have tons of personality.  Miller, Thad and Brand are more low key but that is good for the team chemistry.  Sam is just strange (I think Knux's calling him an 'emo' is about right.)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 01:27:47 PM »
At this point at the end of the game, i.e. last shot down by one or two, with limited time on the clock I want the ball in the hands of Miller or Lou.  Both can get their own shot, draw contact, or in the case of Miller make a quick pass for an open shot.  Iggy is fine down the stretch of the game like against the Rockets, but I don't know if he will ever be a true last shot of the game type.  Thad, in a few years I could definitely see it. 

Iverson would be better at that last shot of the game thing then any of our current players IMO, but to me that is not enough reason to want him.  Lou is a nice version of Iverson-lite, without all of the drama.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 01:30:04 PM »

Now you can say that you start with the ball in Iguodala's hands and even have him drive, but not so much with the idea of shooting as drawing the defender to pass over the top to Brand or Speights. 

When driving, the defenders collapse...making Brand, etc NOT open.  It's outside that the ball gets kicked to.

Sorry...I think I'll end here.  We apparently learned different things from different sources; and that's fine.

With all due respect you have it backwards, defenders collapse on the man WITH THE BALL. Not the man you hope to pass to inside.  When do you see defenders going away from the ball? Ever? They can't help but be drawn, that's why Chris Paul and Steve Nash have so many assists. You better check your sources!

Offline RickyPryor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 01:55:58 PM »

With all due respect you have it backwards, defenders collapse on the man WITH THE BALL. Not the man you hope to pass to inside.  

You misread what I said.  Slashers collapse lanes.  You spoke about Brand, Speights being down low (that's the bottom of the lane).  They are then affected by the resultant congestion.