Author Topic: OT - Guilty pleasures  (Read 2869 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT - Guilty pleasures
« on: January 24, 2009, 12:33:43 AM »
Top Chef
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - Guilty pleasures
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »
Man Vs Wild (yes I know it's a bad show but I find it entertaining)

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »
The Boondocks
Family Guy
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:02:54 PM »

To each his own, but I like Survivorman, don't care for Man Vs Wild.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »
The Billy Jack movies, Billy Jack and the Born Losers, Billy Jack, and the The Trial of Billy Jack, great cheesy movies, my guilty pleasure.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:54:50 PM »

To each his own, but I like Survivorman, don't care for Man Vs Wild.

Oh I watch Survivor Man too.  It's a good show so I don't feel guilty watching it.  When I watch Man Vs Wild I can't help but think about all the things about that show that have been exposed.  I know I shouldn't support a cheap rip off of Survivor Man but it entertaining.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 12:38:53 AM »
I won't call it a pleasure by any means, but VH1 suceeded in getting me to watch for 60 seconds the trainwreck that is Steven Adler on Celebrity Sober House, the offshoot of Celebrity Rehab.

Shame on Dr. Drew.  Adler has no business being in a halfway house and many think the *rolling blackout* in which the Sober House lights went out was staged, knowing full well one of the addicts would go off.  (funny, the neighbors houses all had power)

Guns n Roses drummer on Appetite for Destruction

and then

p.s. how did the pretentious "Counselor Bob" come to *prominence*?  He's so L.A.-pretentious.  Lower right.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »
Top Chef for me as well.  Iron Chef too, although oddly I feel much less guilty about that because I sometimes learn a bit about cooking. 

I miss the original Japanese Iron Chef.  That was a real guilty pleasure because the judges tended to be less knowledgable about food and the translations ended up being so goofy.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »
Top Chef for me as well.  Iron Chef too, although oddly I feel much less guilty about that because I sometimes learn a bit about cooking. 

I miss the original Japanese Iron Chef.  That was a real guilty pleasure because the judges tended to be less knowledgable about food and the translations ended up being so goofy.

I stopped watching Iron Chef after it started watching Top Chef.  I used to get turned off by how the Iron Chef's won the contest on reputation alone, so many times the challenger made great dishes but the clueless judges would say something stupid like "the crunchy onions are too "crunchy"....goofy is right LOL!  What do you expect, they are celebrities and such not people involved in the food industry like on Top Chef.  I think Top Chef has jumped the shark with all the "all-star" and "smack down" shows.

I don't feel guilty about some shows that might be considered geeky like BSG, Clone Wars, Sarah Conner, and Big Bang Theory.

P.S. I miss jem  :'(  I'm sure he would chime in with some kind of "big brother brain washing" theory on this topic.  ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 12:57:27 PM »

I stopped watching Iron Chef after it started watching Top Chef.  I used to get turned off by how the Iron Chef's won the contest on reputation alone, so many times the challenger made great dishes but the clueless judges would say something stupid like "the crunchy onions are too "crunchy"....goofy is right LOL!  What do you expect, they are celebrities and such not people involved in the food industry like on Top Chef.  I think Top Chef has jumped the shark with all the "all-star" and "smack down" shows.

I don't feel guilty about some shows that might be considered geeky like BSG, Clone Wars, Sarah Conner, and Big Bang Theory.

P.S. I miss jem  :'(  I'm sure he would chime in with some kind of "big brother brain washing" theory on this topic.  ;D

Clone wars as in the really bad star wars cartoon?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »

Clone wars as in the really bad star wars cartoon?

The movie was bad but the weekly show is ok.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 01:40:59 PM »
WOW I'm relatively new to Top Chef and don't watch the All Star spinoff stuff so for me it hasn't Jumped the Shark yet.   I'm sure I'll get tired of it in another year or two.

Iron Chef America isn't quite as far out in terms of non chef judges as the Japanese show was.  There are lots of shows where all three judges are at least somewhat involved in the food world.  I must say the recent show with Boomer Esiason and his radio partner was just painful.   At least when you had Japanese starlets and pop singers being translated you could enjoy the translational oddities, with American know nothings they just sound like idiots.   

I'm starting to check out Anthony Bourdains travel/food show.  At the very least I like the fact that he doesn't sugar coat it when he doesn't like something.  His critiques of shows like Sandra Lee and Rachel Ray's $40 a Day are just hilarious!
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 11:27:05 PM »

Yes the Japan Iron Chef was much better.  I was just waiting for them to get really creative on the ingredient and bring out something like a tub full kittens...I'd like to see Bobby, Mario, or Kat try to make something cool with that!

;)  j/k
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:28:45 PM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 02:39:35 PM »
   :D Kitty ice cream! Mmmm.....

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
I'm starting to check out Anthony Bourdains travel/food show. 
Agree.
When channel surfing, he almost always captures my attention.  When he eats with the locals it seems much more real then a lot of the other cooking shows.  He goes to their turf.