Author Topic: When does Dwight Howard get considered in the MVP race?  (Read 2572 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
When does Dwight Howard get considered in the MVP race?
« on: January 22, 2009, 02:03:11 PM »
Just curious...

Seems like a lot of people (including myself) and the media have just given the award to Lebron already based on how well his team is playing.  Now that Orlando has really turned it up and looks like they could have a very impressive season should Dwight Howard be considered a legit threat to LBJ?

I actually hear Kobe's name more than Dwight Howard.  While Kobe is really turning it up since December (two triple doubles in 3 games and going for his 5th straight 10+ assist game) and his team is doing well I don't think he gets the votes on a stacked team.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:04:48 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: When does Dwight Howard get considered in the MVP race?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 02:25:01 PM »
That is a good question.  I suppose we'll have to wait until the national media starts taking Orlando seriously.  They're still fawning over Boston and Cleveland and LA, even though the Magic are the hottest team.

It's always this way though, the up and coming are relatively unknown compared to NBA household names like LBJ and Kobe and KG. I suppose it will take Orlando leading the Eastern Conference or a significant win over an elite team to turn pundits attention in the direction of Superman.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 02:25:48 PM »
Just curious...

Seems like a lot of people (including myself) and the media have just given the award to Lebron already based on how well his team is playing.  Now that Orlando has really turned it up and looks like they could have a very impressive season should Dwight Howard be considered a legit threat to LBJ?

I actually hear Kobe's name more than Dwight Howard.  While Kobe is really turning it up since December (two triple doubles in 3 games and going for his 5th straight 10+ assist game) and his team is doing well I don't think he gets the votes on a stacked team.

IMO DWade should also be, and has been at times, in the discussion but it's odd that Howard and CP3 are not in the dicussion.  I can understand why CP3 is not in the running cause his team is just middle of the pack.  I think now that the Magic are starting to show they are legit he might get some love BUT if they start to fade he will not be in the running.  The MVP is LeBron's to lose.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »
I suppose it will take Orlando leading the Eastern Conference or a significant win over an elite team to turn pundits attention in the direction of Superman.

You mean leading the Eastern conference like they are right now?

Or do you mean road wins against the Spurs & Lakers on the same trip?

Just exactly what else do you think the Magic need to do since they already met your two conditions.

IMO this is what happens with a small market team that has an unassuming player who doesn't demand attention.  He puts up consistant numbers on a winning team and is overlooked.  I call it the DRob syndrome.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 02:35:16 PM »
I suppose it will take Orlando leading the Eastern Conference or a significant win over an elite team to turn pundits attention in the direction of Superman.

You mean leading the Eastern conference like they are right now?

Or do you mean road wins against the Spurs & Lakers on the same trip?

Just exactly what else do you think the Magic need to do since they already met your two conditions.

IMO this is what happens with a small market team that has an unassuming player who doesn't demand attention.  He puts up consistant numbers on a winning team and is overlooked.  I call it the DRob syndrome.

He is not an unassuming player IMO.  He is quite the vocal guy and has a special personality.   He is well known from last years dunk contest AND his gold medal trek.  While he may not give himself nick names or beat his chest in the face of rookies like two other popular big men I don't see him as some quiet/shy type.

I partially blame the NBA.  Reason being is I see a bunch of commercials with Yao Ming and Chris Paul.  Yet I can't think of any with Dwight Howard.  Usually when the league starts to push certain players a bit harder they finally get recognized ala Chris Paul.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 02:36:55 PM »
I partially blame the NBA.  Reason being is I see a bunch of commercials with Yao Ming and Chris Paul.  Yet I can't think of any with Dwight Howard.

You must not watch much tv.  He's been all-over McDonalds commercials.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 02:39:32 PM »
I partially blame the NBA.  Reason being is I see a bunch of commercials with Yao Ming and Chris Paul.  Yet I can't think of any with Dwight Howard.

You must not watch much tv.  He's been all-over McDonalds commercials.

Never seen him in a Mcdonalds commercial.  I've seen Yao Ming in 10 though LOL 

Where are all his clips on NBATV?  Where are the commercial highlighting him after each commercial break on weekend games like Chris Paul gets?  The league pushed Yao Ming HARD but hasn't really given him a strong push IMO.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
My question is when do we start talking about Andre Iguodala following Philadelphia's drubbing (without Elton Brand) of San Antonio?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:52:04 PM »
My question is when do we start talking about Andre Iguodala following Philadelphia's drubbing (without Elton Brand) of San Antonio?

When Rick makes the thread?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 03:54:24 PM »

What about Corey Magette after the Pacific Divsion Warriors pawned the Celtics?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 04:05:26 PM »
He is not an unassuming player IMO.  He is quite the vocal guy and has a special personality.   He is well known from last years dunk contest AND his gold medal trek.  While he may not give himself nick names or beat his chest in the face of rookies like two other popular big men I don't see him as some quiet/shy type.

I think you basically described what I meant by unassuming.  He doesn't beat his chest.  He doesn't talk in postgames about HIM but about the team.  He basically let's his game speak for itself.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »

I think you basically described what I meant by unassuming.  He doesn't beat his chest.  He doesn't talk in postgames about HIM but about the team.  He basically let's his game speak for itself.

Oh yea then I agree. 

Just to keep the discussion going here is his stats so far this year:

20 ppg
14 rpg (#1 in the league)
56% FG
3 blocks (#1 in the league)
Only thing that could use improvement is his FT %.

I'll put up team stats later.  TNT just flashed them and they jumped into the top 5 in 3 categories.  Where as last year they were middle of the pack.   They jumped in categories where Howard has also improved on from last year.

I guess the one team stat that really stands out is 33-8.  Might be 33-9 or 34-8 after the Celtics game.  Orlando would be on pace for 66 wins if they win tonight.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:00:04 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 10:40:52 PM »

Oh yea then I agree. 

Just to keep the discussion going here is his stats so far this year:

20 ppg
14 rpg (#1 in the league)
56% FG
3 blocks (#1 in the league)
Only thing that could use improvement is his FT %.

I'll put up team stats later.  TNT just flashed them and they jumped into the top 5 in 3 categories.  Where as last year they were middle of the pack.   They jumped in categories where Howard has also improved on from last year.

I guess the one team stat that really stands out is 33-8.  Might be 33-9 or 34-8 after the Celtics game.  Orlando would be on pace for 66 wins if they win tonight.

The Magic lost, Howard is a useless overrated stiff!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »
I finally saw a Dwight Howard commercial last night!!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »
I finally saw a Dwight Howard commercial last night!!

Did you see the dunk commercial?

LOL@ the "Sex sells" line......
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"