Author Topic: Lakers vs Cavs  (Read 6163 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers vs Cavs
« on: January 19, 2009, 10:02:11 AM »
Looking forward to this game.  IMO the Cavs are the best team in the league, been saying that before the Lakers two game skid.  I wonder if Kobe and LeBron will guard each other since such a HUGE deal was made about Kobe and Wade guarding each other in their last meeting.

I just don't see how the Cavs do it with no inside game, they are all drive and dish.  The Cavs are comming into the game missing Big Z but seem to be playing a little better on both ends of the court because Z is so slow.  Hope the Lakers can recover from their last two games and beat the Cavs.

I wonder if JoMal will be watching and hoping that his boy can step up to the plate and try and make a case for "best player in the league".  BronBron has been pretty amazing this year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers vs Cavs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:50:36 AM »
I won't get to watch tonight because I have a (lame) business dinner that I have to attend but I am looking forward to the game.  Hopefully I can ignore espn, here, and the paper tomorrow long enough so I can watch the game in peace with out knowing what happened.

Tonight is going to be a test for the Lakers.  They've dropped 2 games against quality teams and certainly don't want to make it 3.  Maybe if Bynum could get more than 5 rebounds in 2 games we might have a shot at beating them.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:56:21 AM »
I won't get to watch tonight because I have a (lame) business dinner that I have to attend but I am looking forward to the game.  Hopefully I can ignore espn, here, and the paper tomorrow long enough so I can watch the game in peace with out knowing what happened.

Tonight is going to be a test for the Lakers.  They've dropped 2 games against quality teams and certainly don't want to make it 3.  Maybe if Bynum could get more than 5 rebounds in 2 games we might have a shot at beating them.

Bynum?  As in future hall of fame Bynum?

http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=2565.0
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:23:41 AM »
Pretty good game IMO.  I think the game would have looked much different if Big Z was on the court.  Journeyman Bynum looked an all-star vs the undersized front court of the Cavs.  Hard to imagine a team with Ben Wallace not being able to hold their own against the Lakers "soft" front line.  Varejao did a really good job but Bynum and Gasol wer just shooting over the guy.

The Cavs have an excellent balance of offense of defense with a strong leaning towards defense.  As the commentators mentioned last night, the Cavs have a ton of very good shooters to surround James and keep the floor open for him to do his thing.  These guys are going to have to win a title because teams are going to pack it in against LeBron and force the supporting cast to jumpshoot the Cavs to a playoff victory.

LeBron James is incredible.  He shows flashes of being the greatest player to ever step on the court.  He's obviously closed the gap between Kobe and himself, although IMO Kobe is still a tiny bit better.  I think before this season is over he will become the best player in the league in route to his first MVP.  LeBron will also soon close the gap between Jordan and himself.  I don't know if he can surpass the greatest/most dominant player I've ever seen, Shaq, but it does seem possible.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 11:26:46 AM »
Lebrons left handed dunk was the highlight.

As to the movie itself, meh.
Here are some Realcomments on Kobes acting in the opening scene:

Yeah I'm sure he's going to require offseason surgery like they talked about all last season.

Kobe is tough, but his other finger that he was ment to have surgery on for the past 6 years cant be that bad if he has decided against it.  Im sure he will be ok.

A Laker fan with Kobe's nuts in his mouth... what a shocking development... (   :D i think that was but one directed at WoWkoast. )

playing through a career-ending dislocated pinkie. wow. awesome. hooray. need to start thread to celebrate.

George Hill had been playing with a broken thumb on his shooting hand. MVP?

Funny how he always gets a little bump early in big games and manages to "tough it out" in front of the cameras.

Do you know if the Lakers will waive him after a doctor certifies this is a career ending injury?
A Darius case in the making?

Most of the time, dislocated fingers are so unimportant that the news doesn't even report it.

Come on, people play with dislocated fingers at the local YMCA..this is nothing.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »
It looked to me like Kobe's supporting cast was better and more energetic than Lebron's.  Kobe was better than LeBron, and the Cavs let the Lakers get second shot after second shot.  Ilgauskas may be too slow, but against a team with an inside presence like LA's, he's necessary.  Besides, LA wasn't letting the Cavs get out on the break.

Good win for LA, but IMO, it would have been different with Z in there.  Bynum and Gasol wouldn't ahve looked so good with a big man defending them.  Ben Wallace is done, and has been for a while. He can't play Center or even do a good job as a 4 anymore.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 12:17:54 PM »
Lebrons left handed dunk was the highlight.

As to the movie itself, meh.
Here are some Realcomments on Kobes acting in the opening scene:

Yeah I'm sure he's going to require offseason surgery like they talked about all last season.

Kobe is tough, but his other finger that he was ment to have surgery on for the past 6 years cant be that bad if he has decided against it.  Im sure he will be ok.

A Laker fan with Kobe's nuts in his mouth... what a shocking development... (   :D i think that was but one directed at WoWkoast. )

playing through a career-ending dislocated pinkie. wow. awesome. hooray. need to start thread to celebrate.

George Hill had been playing with a broken thumb on his shooting hand. MVP?

Funny how he always gets a little bump early in big games and manages to "tough it out" in front of the cameras.

Do you know if the Lakers will waive him after a doctor certifies this is a career ending injury?
A Darius case in the making?

Most of the time, dislocated fingers are so unimportant that the news doesn't even report it.

Come on, people play with dislocated fingers at the local YMCA..this is nothing.

Hows that foot taste dummy?  :D
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 12:28:37 PM »
A Laker fan with Kobe's nuts in his mouth...

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OWN you my little PARROT!  :D :D  I feel a little guilty replacing Kobe as your "man pacifier".   ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 02:33:26 PM »
Quote from:  link=topic=5296.msg58219#msg58219 date=1232468806
A Laker fan with Kobe's nuts in his mouth...

rrrrrrrrraaaaaaauuuugh.  I didn't really post anything, but that's enough by my standards to juvinile self proclaim ownage! 
Wait, no one cares.  No one??!!  westkoast!  westkoastie!! help help!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 02:40:39 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 03:01:15 PM »
I care so much I used the "Kobe's nuts in the mouth" comment my DADDY taught me.  I can't help getting owned and replying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup!  ;D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 03:04:12 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lTMyK90fCc&eurl=http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114833

Just like little bitch Kobe headbutted DWade to save the two point *victory* a few nights ago, here's video of Azira doing a similiar cheapie on Lebron last night.
One of many on LeBron not called.  Surprise surprise.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 03:15:14 PM »
Great win for the Lakers who desperately needed one after two consecutive losses to great teams.  I don't think either team played their best and obviously not having Ilgauskus hurt them against the Lakers big front court.  

I thought Kobe did a great job defending Lebron, which was very surprising to me.  Lebron is physically so much bigger and stronger, but Kobe did an admiral job cutting off his lanes and staying in front of him to the point where Lebron settled for too many jumpers.  

Conversely, Lebron always does a great defending Kobe.  Being bigger and stronger helps, but Lebron has clearly improved his defense and it really shows.  Kobe had to launch some miraculous, falling away/out of bounds rainbows just to get some shots off over Lebron.  

Lebron is clearly the front runner for MVP and deservedly so.  I would say he has surpassed Kobe in all areas with the single exception of killer instinct.  The argument I can't disagree with on why Lebron is better than Kobe is if they were to switch teams, would the Cavs be as good?  No way.  And would the Lakers be even better with Bron?  Probably.  Lebron is carrying that team and Kobe clearly has the better supporting cast.  Of course, although one is a 2 and the other a 3, Lebron is just so big and strong it's almost like comparing Steve Nash to Shaq ... okay, maybe not that dramatic a size differential, but Lebron is a bull and with his improved outside shot and defense, he's getting to that scary, only comes around once in a lifetime, good.  

And Reality, you're intellectual contributions are stimulating as usual.  Keep up the good work.  Reading your posts always reminds of the old adage, "it's better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 03:17:20 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lTMyK90fCc&eurl=http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114833

Just like little bitch Kobe headbutted DWade to save the two point *victory* a few nights ago, here's video of Azira doing a similiar cheapie on Lebron last night.
One of many on LeBron not called.  Surprise surprise.

LOL!  LeBron is a drama wuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're an idiot if you think that was intentional let alone a cheap shot.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »

Lebron is clearly the front runner for MVP and deservedly so.  I would say he has surpassed Kobe in all areas with the single exception of killer instinct.  The argument I can't disagree with on why Lebron is better than Kobe is if they were to switch teams, would the Cavs be as good?  No way.  And would the Lakers be even better with Bron?  Probably.  Lebron is carrying that team and Kobe clearly has the better supporting cast.  Of course, although one is a 2 and the other a 3, Lebron is just so big and strong it's almost like comparing Steve Nash to Shaq ... okay, maybe not that dramatic a size differential, but Lebron is a bull and with his improved outside shot and defense, he's getting to that scary, only comes around once in a lifetime, good.  
Praise be.  WayOutWest are you getting this?!

And Reality, you're intellectual contributions are stimulating as usual.  Keep up the good work.

And after a Reality type post like yours, you keep up the good work too!