Author Topic: S-I-X-E-R-S SIXERS!  (Read 3516 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
S-I-X-E-R-S SIXERS!
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
Because that was as pathetic as it gets.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Re: S-I-X-E-R-S SIXERS!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:48:01 PM »
If you believe there is no such thing as a 'moral victory' when you lose, I guess you can't complain to much when you win.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
I was actually referring to another team in town losing.  Thus the way I made the topic title.  Turning my attention to this team.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »
I knew from the beginning that this was going to be a trap game vs. the Cardinals.  I couldn't stand how the majority of the fan base and media were acting as if a superbowl appearance was a foregone conclusion after we beat NY last week.... as if we've never lost an NFC championship game.  This is what the Eagles do... they get to the NFC championship and they lose in  pathetic manner.  McNabb threw a horrible game and our play calling was flat out inferior tonight.  Their franchise player stepped up, ours had another small time performance in a big time game.  Deja Vu. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:10:58 PM »
Their franchise player stepped up, ours had another small time performance in a big time game.  Deja Vu. 

Which player on defense do you consider our franchise player?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 10:16:59 PM »
Their franchise player stepped up, ours had another small time performance in a big time game.  Deja Vu. 

I was referring to McNabb, but to answer the question I'd have to go with Dawk. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 10:19:14 PM »

I know you were referring to McNabb.  That was my point.  On the "people who came up small" list, those are the first 11 guys I'd look at.  After that you can examine the QB who had 375 passing yards, completed 60% of his passes, and averaged 8 yards per attempt.  Yeah, he missed some throws.  He was far from the reason we lost this game.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 10:33:49 PM »
If history is to repeat itself the Sixers should win the NBA championship in the 2010-2011, two full seasons after the Phillies.  I'll take that.

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »

I know you were referring to McNabb.  That was my point.  On the "people who came up small" list, those are the first 11 guys I'd look at.  After that you can examine the QB who had 375 passing yards, completed 60% of his passes, and averaged 8 yards per attempt.  Yeah, he missed some throws.  He was far from the reason we lost this game.

I never read too much into McNabb's completion % since a vast majority of his passes come from little uncontested side-outs.  He had two nice long completions (which had a huge impact on his yards per attempt), one of which Desean Jackson bailed him out of with a phenomenal catch on a pass that was underthrown.  Outside of that, he threw some balls that you just can't throw in a game of this magnitude.  It's been a trademark of his career to throw behind on short passes and slants, overthrow receivers on short slants, or throw it at his receiver's feet.  I understand that the blame on this one can be passed around from top to bottom on both sides of the ball, but these are plays that you have to make, so I have trouble shrugging it off and saying 'yeah, he missed some throws,' when those throws should be gimme's.... especially when the season is on the line.  Although I will also say that there were a few gimme's that our receivers blew as well.  

I probably let my frustration towards McNabb dictate my first post, but I was just as disgusted with the defense.  I don't know how many times they made us pay on the blitz by flipping it over the defense and moving the chains with ease.  Besides our pitiful attempts to stop Fitzgerald, nobody was wrapping their man up... there were too many plays where guys were just going for a loud hit and in turn allowed their running backs to bounce right off us and pick up extra yards that we normally wouldn't allow.  Our linebackers were also missing assignments left and right.  All in all, the whole team was committing boneheaded plays all game... whether it be Rocca holding the ball laces in, or Demps committing stupid penalties.

The play calling was also a pretty major determinant.  I thought we tried too hard to get Westbrook involved when he's obviously not at full strength and came into this game averaging a dismal 1.9 yards per carry in the postseason... they probably shouldn't have used Buckhalter so sparingly considering he was able to pick up yards on ever touch... not to mention he was the one practicing with the team all week.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 09:53:43 AM »
The reason the Eagles lost the game is that they couldn't score in the first half.  I blame the play-calling and McNabb more than anyone else.  But spotting the Cards a three score lead was really too much to overcome.

With that said, the Eagles had the lead and then let the Cardinals march down the field and score a TD, after effectively stopping them after half-time. Then, with the ball back and plenty of time the Eagles were stopped after seemingly moving down the field at will against the Cards.

Fitzgerald is a stud, the Eagles had no one who could handle him or even tackle him one on one, and he and Warner were the difference.  You also have to give the Cardinals defense credit. They seemed to get to McNabb better than the Giants or Vikings did.

Yeah, I'm disappointed but, C'est la vie.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:42 AM »
The Eagles game was a let down but not a surprise.  Just becasue this up and down team had a good stretch for 1.5 months, it did not change the fact that they have been up and down for several years.  They had not turned the corner as much as had a hot streak.  If anything they overachieved to make the NFC Championship game, but were unable to take advantage of a less than great opponent. 

Not to be harsh, but I don't see how so many fans were so overconfident.  Sure I could have seen them destroying the Cards, but on the flip side, at times this year they looked like a bottom 3 NFL team.  You can't expect a streaky team to suddenly become a consistent performer.  They lost to another decent team on a hot streak at the right time.  Like the Phillies, we were just hoping to continue to ride a hot streak.  Unlike the Phillies, they cooled off a couple of weeks too soon.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:24:26 AM by tk76- »

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 10:28:58 AM »
I think this was a very weird year in the NFL overall and the Eagles fit right right into that category along with most of the other teams in the league.  The only real constant was how badly the Lions sucked.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 10:49:46 AM »
I lived in the Detroit area for 10 years.  That organization is brutal. 

The fans support the team, but the owners stayed loyal to a horrible GM for way to long.  Like the McHale and Elgin Baylor situations.  As if given enough time someone incompetent will turn the ship around?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 10:57:36 AM »
I lived in the Detroit area for 10 years.  That organization is brutal. 

The fans support the team, but the owners stayed loyal to a horrible GM for way to long.  Like the McHale and Elgin Baylor situations.  As if given enough time someone incompetent will turn the ship around?

The worst disease an owner in any pro sports can have is "hire a famous player as my GM-itis", usually followed by being afraid to fire the famous guy, especially if he has local ties to the team and/or city.

BTW, I lived in Rochester, NY, die-hard Buffalo Bills territory during their entire streak of four lost Superbowls.  By the end they really didn't expect to win in the SB and with each passing year they hated Scott Norwood more and more.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:59:55 AM by Skates »

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 11:05:43 AM »
I was in college then and one of my good friends was a Bills fan.  Although he was not a regular drinker, during those 4 years he went from heavy drinking after to during and then finally even before the Superbowl.  Eventually he knew what was coming and it wasn't even fun to pick on him anymore.  I think even the Bills team knew they were headed for losses in some of those games- the NFC was that much better back then.

I do think that Frank Reich comeback was one of the most remarkable games I've seen.  They must have been going nuts when they weren't shoveling snow.